• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Paul Winston / Chipp MTM?

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any comments on the product and approximate cost would be helpful.

Thanks,
ET

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not up to me to lecture you, but I think there is some on product here and on price here. All relatively recent.

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I had reviewed the first thread prior to posting but hadn't seen any pricing info.

Could you pls repost your 2nd link - doesn't seem to be working. A previous thread mentioned ~$1,650, but I believe that info is dated.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it would be best to call Paul directly

alliswell is a patron over there.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thanks. I had reviewed the first thread prior to posting but hadn't seen any pricing info.

Could you pls repost your 2nd link - doesn't seem to be working. A previous thread mentioned ~$1,650, but I believe that info is dated.

Apologies - this is what I was referring to and it does indeed mention the $1650. That post is pretty recent though.

david809

Reaction score
I am trying out Winston Tailors, I have a couple of things in the works, a navy bird's eye suit and a blue tweed coat. I went in, got measured, and picked out fabrics in October. The clothes were ready for the second fitting in about two months (though I was only able to stop by in mid January). At the second fitting, the coats did not have any button holes cut, so there was a lot one could do in terms of changing the coats. I ended up deciding on a slightly narrower lapel at this stage. I should be receiving the finished product sometime in the near future (I'm in Chicago), but I am optimistic given where the products were at the second fitting. Since this is my first time working with Mr. Winston, I'm sure that there will have to be adjustments to future orders, but this is just the nature of the beast.

In terms of pricing, depends on the fabric, $1750 for the suit and the same for the tweed coat. I was contemplating a bird's eye in a very nice fabric (Lesser or Harrison? Can't remember) for $2250 but decided to go with something more standard for the first go round.

Mr. Winston is a pleasure to work with and has a great sense of humor. Both times I have been in his shop, customers stopped by just to chat and see how he was doing. I think it will be worth your while to check out the operation.

MaxK

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Paul. I've used him for numerous alterations, and all came out perfect.

I've had one suit made, a charcoal fresco two button. It came out perfectly, I couldn't be happier. The shoulders are perfect for me, very natural.

I also have a blazer in navy fresco that Paul made, every time I wear it get compliments.

Paul also has great prices on grenadine ties, I've bought four or five from him.

I was actually just over there today dropping off some pants to be altered, and I'll be back tomorrow to pick them up and place an order for a blue nail head suit.

Paul is a pleasure to work with, and while for my own wallet the prices are sizable, I feel that the quality of the product supports them. I'd rather have fewer suits that were perfectly fitted than a bunch that area little off and annoying.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
it would be best to call Paul directly

alliswell is a patron over there.

I have had Paul do alterations for me, with great success. I've had prices quoted to me that are around the prices quoted here, and I want to say that CMT was closer to $1400. Fabric seems a little pricey, to be honest - you might be better going to Tip Top.

paulbnyc

Reaction score
I just bought my first four grenadine ties from Paul. He is indeed fun to talk to and I am thrilled with the ties, especially for the price.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.