• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart makes a nice range of sizes and lengths. My brother-in- law is a 41 extra long (6'5", super lanky) and claims that Paul Stuart is the only place that carries his size.

auto90403

Reaction score
me too. i haven't bought a PS suit in years -- i think i just forgot PS existed although i walked past their chicago store several times a week.

but their semi-long size was perfect.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the suit you linked up to. Do these things ever go on sale, either in the store or on the web?

boston

Reaction score
I've never seen their standard suits go on sale--more's the pity.

btw, why does Paul Stuart get a bad rap on this board? Their prices are not ridiculous, they show some originality with their styles but are always proper. They also make some really nice accessories.

-boston

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen their standard suits go on sale--more's the pity.

btw, why does Paul Stuart get a bad rap on this board? Their prices are not ridiculous, they show some originality with their styles but are always proper. They also make some really nice accessories.

-boston
Have you heard bad things said about Paul Stuart?

Their accesories are nice - they have a leather/silver flask that is gorgeous, their alligator wallets are very nice though pricey, their Trafalgar braces are nice, their Grensons are absolutely spectacular...

oldskool

Reaction score
I have only shopped Paul Stuart on sale. I do not have their upslace line, but I bought 5 suits over the past 4 years or so... all on 30-40% off. It's a catch though, because the sale price doesnt include tailoring, so it's really not a sale, as you end up making the difference up paying them to cut if for you. If you pay retail, they tailor it inclusive. I mean you do save a little and the selection is obviously not as good.

I own the suits that retail about $1,200 -$1,500 and have paid +/- $700 each + their charge to tailor.

I know the suits they are famous for have side tabs and a nicer cut, but I'm not at that level yet.

But on the question of sales, yes - Paul Stuart does have sales. I think they have one now in fact - in nyc.

Pressfan

Reaction score
Actually, Samuelsohn makes semi-long (they probably made the Paul Stuart suits). Unfortunately, they are often only available for MTM and not necessarily for off-the-rack models.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Samuelsohn makes semi-long (they probably made the Paul Stuart suits).  Unfortunately, they are often only available for MTM and not necessarily for off-the-rack models.
I heard either here on SF or on AskAndy (or perhaps both) that the suits were Samuelsohn.  I haven't heard anything "bad" about about Paul Stuart, except maybe that the styling is fairly conservative and traditional.

I have one Paul Stuart suit - which I need to get tailored to adjust the jacket sleeves and possibly get the waist slightly suppressed.  I purchased it "NWOT" on ebay for a rather competive price (helped by the fact that I can wear an odd number size), and while there is nothing wrong with it, I don't know if it truly was "NWOT" (I have my suspicions that it might have been worn - as it was previously tailored).  It is a 2 button suit in a gray flannel, and the top button placement is relatively lower than some of the more fashionable brands - maybe an inch to an inch and half lower than it is in a higher stanced 2 button Louis Boston Belvest (which I got from johnnynorman and also needs to be tailored).

Duveen

Reaction score
I am not that much of an old salt, but I can definitely remember lots of Paul Stuart bashing from a few members. It largely had to do with the quality of their suits from a construction perspective. One of the tailors mentioned that they used an extra piece of cloth across the back to keep the vents from flapping open and a number of other 'kludges' that were meant to compensate for a poor cut. The above are not my opinions - I don't know enough about suit construction or PS clothing to judge - I just wanted to back up the original assertion that PS indeed had been bashed earlier.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the tailors mentioned that they used an extra piece of cloth across the back to keep the vents from flapping open and a number of other 'kludges' that were meant to compensate for a poor cut.
Ha ha, yeah, I remember this. It's probably not the fault of the cut, since ready-to-wear suits are pretty standardized in terms of measurements. The guy probably had one butt cheek bigger than the other, and needed a bespoke tailor.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My favorite suit is from Paul Stuart, a 40 semi-long, navy cashmere blend chalkstripe flannel, full canvas, padstitched '2-1/2ish' button (this was a disputing point between Manton and me). Bought at a thrift shop for probably $30 or so in perfect condition, and draws multiple compliments every time I wear it. Anyone who bashes PS will answer to me.
biggrin.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was Ken Pollack (though I could be mistaken) who has mentioned Paul Stuart and their history either here or on AAAC. Someone did. In essence, they're an conservative American style that sexes it up a bit. Sort of has small touches of flash.

The good thing about a lot of the suitmakers that these stores buy from is that the store can pretty much order what it wants -- the little details or the semi-longs or what-have-you, and carry them without the cust. having to order MTM.

I have found, but perhaps it's now different, that few Trad or Trad-like stores were carrying, for a long time, the forwarded pleated trouser, when they had suits with pleated trousers. This, for me, was horrible, as I like the forward pleat much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads