• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart Suit Advice

gkp2011

Reaction score
Hello All,

If anything I say here doesn't make sense or it's already been covered, well I apologize, new to the forum.. So I need some advice, I just received this Paul Stuart Suit I purchased pre-owned from ebay. I paid about $90 with shipping, which I believe is a good price? It's a Super 150 material. I can tell there;s a few things that need to be adjusted tailor wise on it. But I'm wondering a few things.

About me:

Im about 6"1, not skinny to be honest, weight about 215lb

Link to Suit Pictures only: link

Recommendations in Tailoring

1. Would it be better if I have it tailor it down closer to a slim fit? I'm wanting for it to fit comfortably but well not look like I'm about to pop out of it. I feel like I look well larger than I do in some of my other suits in this one.

2. Should I have the lapel trimmed down as well? Right now the size of is extra wide, about 4 inches or so. I was wondering if it should be more of slimmer lapel, around 2 in? (of course this depends if even possible)

3. The overall length of the jacket, does it look too long? I'm a 42l in all my jackets, when I bought this one it turns out to be a 42 Extra-Long?

3a. Would it be possible to shorten the length of the jacket if so?

4. The pants I feel should be taken in to be slimmer cut down from how they sit, not to mention shorten

5. From the research I've done on this brand it feels like it is a very high quality suit, am I right on that?

6. Seeing that I paid about $90 to have it shipped, I have to factor in next the cost of tailoring. Would it be worth getting all the above done vs say returning it to get about $70 back once pay shipping and buy a $300 suit that has most of the above done?

Also I've attached pictures to show the fit and info on the suit.. If read this far, thanks for taking the time and look forward to the advice.

Again Thanks!

20170809_201759.jpg

20170809_201804.jpg

DSC07039 (2).JPG

DSC07041.JPG

thesilentist

Reaction score
The jacket is definitely too long. Shortening a jacket isn't cheap -- get a quote before you do it, but remember that kind of work requires a good tailor and you'll want someone skilled to do it. Jacket length should be long enough to cover your seat. Also, there's a rule of thumb where you want the length down the back (from the end of the collar to the hem) to be equivalent (more or less) to the length down the outseam of the trousers from the point where the jacket hem is to the hem of the pants.

Pants definitely need hemming and perhaps tapering. Tough to tell. Have your tailor pin to see if you like the idea.

Don't bother narrowing lapels. Expensive and waste of money.

Frankly, I would return the suit. Not worth the alterations costs to make the style you want and do the length alteration to the jacket (which never really quite looks right).

Tacosauce

Reaction score
1) huh?

2) Do not mess with the lapels. If thr lapels are 4 inches, just wear wider ties.

3) It looks like you might be able to take 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch, but consult the tailor.

4) Yes, you can shorten and taper the pants. You can generally taper to either your shoe size or 1 inch less than your shoe size.

5) PS is a good quality suit

6) If you are happy spending $300 to tailor the suit then go for it. It is not a waste. In the future, until you find a consistant thing that works for you, you might have better luck focusing on fit of the suit rather than quality of the suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads