• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul stuart shoes....

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as I'm posting tonight (and askandy is down again&#33
wink.gif
.... Who makes Paul Stuart Stuart's choice shoes? I really like this antique dark brown shoe, but I'm not sure if I want to pay this much for a Grenson-- or is it a Green? http://www.paulstuart.com/item_template.cfm?ItemId=824

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Grenson. Love the shoe, but it's not worth $675.

Edit: I mean $625. Doesn't change the value judgment, though.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to disagree with Jcusey (a rare occasion indeed) as I think that they are worth it. It's a most elegant last. Stunning shoes in person.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe those are the Grenson Masterpiece line, (could be dead wrong) and if so, they are worth the sticker price, as they are just a shade below RTW Green or Lobb imo.

koij

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do look similar to C&J Audleys, which should run you about $400 from Plal, if you're looking to spend less than $625 for a similar-looking shoe.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well the Audley is a great looking shoe, but those Grenson/PS shoes are better looking. A more refined last. Comparable to the EG 888. And yes, they are basically Masterpieces, with slightly more detailing (half-black sole for instance.)

I think I am going to email Pediwear and tell them that they need to sell Grensons on this last. I'll bet they'd be a hit.

Phil

Reaction score
They are indeed Grenson masterpieces, with some subtle differences. I had spoken to the Paul Stuart shoe guy about these, and he said the only difference between PS and Grenson masterpieces is that PS uses a more supple and expensive leather that lines the inside of the shoe. He claimed they wear better and break in quicker with this leather.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to disagree with Jcusey (a rare occasion indeed) as I think that they are worth it. It's a most elegant last. Stunning shoes in person.
Hmmph. See if I buy any more Vass shoes.
wink.gif
I haven't seen any shoes on that last in person, and I agree that it looks very good in pictures. It's just that if I'm going to spend over $600 on English shoes, I'll probably spend a bit more and get some Edward Greens, especially when there's nothing unusual about the design. I have Grenson Masterpieces shoes (both Paul Stuart and regular), but they get a lot less wear than my EG shoes. That being the case, are the Grenson shoes really a better deal, at least for me? Not to disparage Grenson in any way -- they're very good shoes. I just prefer Edward Green, even at the increased price.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upon closer inspection of those pictures, I'm going to have to agree with Andrew in that, indeed, they are a bit better-looking. The Audley's a bit more curvy, while these shoes have that straight-edge chisel form going on. It's a little thing, though, and I only wish I had the extra $225 to justify getting these instead of the C&J's. Still, should I need another dark brown captoe oxford, I'll know where to look.
wink.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One good thing this indicates -- Paul Stuart has finally updated its website. Looks like they have tons more stuff for sale and one doesn't have to call the store to order any longer.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess this thread raises the obvious question -- does PS every put their shoes on sale?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do indeed have sales on their shoes. I think PS has sales twice per year. Get on their mailing list -- they send out great catalogs, as well as sale notifications. In the past, the sale did NOT carry over to the website; perhaps that will change in the future.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I think the shape of the last is a bit tricky to tell from the images. For one thing, a larger size will tend to make the shoe look slimmer and more elegant. I think the shoe on the Paul Stuart site is a larger size. It's also easy to distort the look of a shoe if you play games with closeup shots using wide angle lenses. After a long wait, Plal is finally shipping my Audleys (10E UK) next week. I'll post pictures when I receive them--I'll take care not to distort them too much.
smile.gif
Montecristo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads