• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart Shoes

jjgold

Reaction score
I have been seeing all the sale shoes from Paul Stuart. Obvious scores from the most recent sale? But anyhow I figured I would look at the site to check out the styles since I think they always look unique. These are just Grenson Masterpiece Shoes right? Are they worth the price at full retail? Why do all the British Shoe Makers (except Edward Green) not make many choices in a burgundy or oxblood?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjgold
I have been seeing all the sale shoes from Paul Stuart. Obvious scores from the most recent sale? But anyhow I figured I would look at the site to check out the styles since I think they always look unique. These are just Grenson Masterpiece Shoes right? Are they worth the price at full retail?

They're Grensons, to the standards of the old Masterpiece line, but I wouldn't use the word "just." They're often compared to C&J handgrades and even EGs. Nice leathers, lovely finishing, quirky designs.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about the Stuart's Choice shoes. PS sells some non-SC ones too.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the soles' waists very much, and I like many of the designs. I have always found the leathers to be of fine quality. I think they are a (small) step below Edward Green. At almost half the price, they are certainly worth it.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjgold
I have been seeing all the sale shoes from Paul Stuart. Obvious scores from the most recent sale? But anyhow I figured I would look at the site to check out the styles since I think they always look unique. These are just Grenson Masterpiece Shoes right? Are they worth the price at full retail? Why do all the British Shoe Makers (except Edward Green) not make many choices in a burgundy or oxblood?

As far as quality is concerned, the $625-650 price point is actually on par with other premium branded shoes such as Crockett and Jones, and the English grade Polo Ralph Lauren offerings. They are definitely superior to the current Heritage collection offered by Church's, and maybe slightly less quality than JM Weston (at full retail).

Almost all the British companies make shoes in oxblood or burgundy, its just that they offer fewer models in that particular color. I have oxblood semi brogues by Alfred Sargent for Brooks Brothers, a rebadged C&J Finsbury in burgundy for Tom James, and a pair of older Brooks Brothers English made that were made by Church's. Paul Stuart also offers a few models in burgundy--they even had a nice selection at the first sale a few years ago.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
I have found myself coming back to these quite often :

http://www.paulstuart.com/product_in...PRODCATID=2071

At todays exchange rate, excluding the VAT, these represent a 54% premium over C&J handgrade. Am I crazy or do these really fill a niche above the best C&J has to offer? It seems hard to justify the price given that I might as well pay more and get EGs. Any thoughts? I keep waiting for the price to fall (hah!)...

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by card_richelieu

At todays exchange rate, excluding the VAT, these represent a 54% premium over C&J handgrade. Am I crazy or do these really fill a niche above the best C&J has to offer? It seems hard to justify the price given that I might as well pay more and get EGs. Any thoughts? I keep waiting for the price to fall (hah!)...

These are very nice Richelieu.
smile.gif
You should get them.
devil.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always noticed the looks of Paul Stuart shoes. There's been a few that I was close to buying on line, but I dare not do so because I don't know how they fit.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dig my Stuart's Choice shoes. I prefer them to my C&Js and like 'em about as well as my EGs. If there's a style you like, especially if you can't find it elsewhere, and if you don't mind the price tag, they're a good purchase.

Were I to be offered identical models from both SC and EG, and the SC were more affordable, I'd be perfectly happy "settling" for the Paul Stuart shoes.

That said, there's always the possibility the shoes will end up on sale at the PS clearance, or at Bennys, for less than half price. But then you have to hope it happens, and that you can find your size, and that you can snag them before someone else.

Maybe I will trot out a pair of my SC shoes tomorrow.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love the color of these and the details are great.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I dig my Stuart's Choice shoes. I prefer them to my C&Js and like 'em about as well as my EGs. If there's a style you like, especially if you can't find it elsewhere, and if you don't mind the price tag, they're a good purchase.

Were I to be offered identical models from both SC and EG, and the SC were more affordable, I'd be perfectly happy "settling" for the Paul Stuart shoes.

That said, there's always the possibility the shoes will end up on sale at the PS clearance, or at Bennys, for less than half price. But then you have to hope it happens, and that you can find your size, and that you can snag them before someone else.

Maybe I will trot out a pair of my SC shoes tomorrow.

Thanks Doc-

Can you provide any more detail on what Grenson Masterpiece entails?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Doc-

Can you provide any more detail on what Grenson Masterpiece entails?

They're nicely made and finished. Welted, of course, with a sole treatment that's attractive but lacks the flashiness of say, G&G or EG's Top Drawer. The leather's good quality -- not quite to EG level, but not that far removed from it. Good, honest shoes, I'd say.

Really, though, I tend to like them as much for what they represent as the overall quality. The line tends toward the slightly quirky, which I like, and I think they're often more successful than are Lobb's frequently self-conscious efforts. Some of the SC stuff is too out there for me -- especially lately -- but I've also found some real gems. When they get it right, they're interesting without being conspicuously interesting, if you get my drift. And they can do the classic styles very well, when they put their mind to it

Beyond that, I like that Grenson is still making really nice shoes, even if they're no longer sold under Grenson's name. Not many outlets for such shoes these days.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads