1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Stuart Sales

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Apr 5, 2005.

1. sashae

sashae Senior member

Duveen - I'm heading back over on a mission for a few people this afternoon, and if I happen to see a pair I'd be happy to pick them up for you.

-s, mr. shoe mission.

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

I think it means: Fabric woven in Italy; fabric sewn together to form the suit in Canada.

3. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Oddly enough, one of the suits I picked up was made from Italian fabric and sewn in the United States. UNITE label on the inside. Pretty similar in construction to the Southwick suits I've come across in the past. I didn't know PS ever used an American subcontractor.

4. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

There's an article in today's WSJ (linked to in another posting) that mentions that a Tennesee contractor makes suits for Paul Stuart (apparently using Turkish master tailors).

5. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

INCREDIBLE Sale. I waited about 40 minutes this morning, it's well worth it.

I bought 5 pairs of Stuart Choice:
    2 pairs of side laces 1 in black 1 in tan with beautiful antiqueing
    1 whole cut medallion
    1 whole cut plain
    1 wing tip.

zjpj already posted pictures of the last 3 pairs. I'll post pictures of the side laces.

Saw some absolutely beautiful double monks but they're not my size. They're gone when I turned around several minutes later.

All the Stuart Choice shoes are practically flying off the table.

Most suits are Samuelsohn but there're some decent selections of Isaia and St. Andrews. At $500 they're steal. Fortunately, none of my sizes.

There're still some side laces & wing tips availabe when I left.

6. sashae

sashae Senior member

I just went by again -- sorry to disappoint johnnynorman and Duveen, but no joy on the items you were looking for. The 10.5s were positively devastated when I just went back, and I saw the linen/leather specs in 8, 9, 11, and 12.

Amazing the amount of stuff that's cleared out in the last few hours. I figure I'll go back on Friday for the final markdowns, as I'd love to pick up either some channeled sole casuals, white brogued bucks, or specs at the final markdowns.

-s

7. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Any suggestions for tailoring on thee suits bought there? Will the store tailor these?

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

10. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

zjpj and I are on a wavelength in terms of how to wear these. Only diff is that he actually has a pair.. Oh well, it is off to Ron Rider with me. In a way, I'm happy - I can specify exactly the look I want on the specs.

Specifically, I would wear the specs in summer with the following:
    Cream tropical-weight wool trousers
    'Natural' linen trousers, poss also some 'Orangina' linen trousers from BB which I may pick up tomorrow with the 15% discount
    Tan and white stripe seersucker pants
    Very light grey summer flannels
    Khaki poplin trousers (light khaki)
    Mid-brown linen trousers from RL

The good news is that those pants constitute pretty much my whole summer pants wardrobe.

Basically, I don't see spectators as all that different from the lighter tan shoes that I normally would wear in summer. Particularly if they are linen and leather, the contrast of bright white to non-white pants is less of an issue. While I admit that they are a bit 'costumey', I think that brown and white specs blend in a lot more than black and white specs. I do plan to wear them to my biz cas office at least occasionally (tho' you don't want to overdo it with shoes that distinctive).

Other shoes I wear in the summer with the above-listed trousers include british tan EG Monmouth's (wholecut with medallion toe, a bit like the C&J Weymouth's, but with the distinctive EG toe), 'bone' leather shoes from Gallus (comfort-shoe with some rubber on soles for rainier days), Grenson Stowes in mid-brown. That's about it. I might add bucks next year.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the expert advice. I still think I'll hold off, if they're not already gone. But when the budget does stretch, I'll know. Next clothing payment is going to be for my Vaish suit. http://66.170.193.77/cgi-bin....h;st=40

12. cpac

cpac Senior member

thinking of heading over there in a short bit.

Anybody notice if they had any extra-tall suits on the racks there? (specifically 44-x-tall)

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Funny story from the sale today... While I was looking at suits a woman stopped me and admitted she had a silly question. She thought the sample sale was for "Paul Smith," who she "loved." She didn't know "who" Paul Stuart was. I explained they had a store on Madison, that the clothes were superior to Paul Smith. She was thrilled, and ran off to find her husband.

14. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

I saw a few, 2 or three were gorgeous including a Blue and White pin.

15. cpac

cpac Senior member

excellent.

44's I hope.

I may just have to take a late afternoon break for an hour or so.

16. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

(tgfny @ April 12 2005,13:23) I saw a few, 2 or three were gorgeous including a Blue and White pin.
    excellent. 44's I hope. I may just have to take a late afternoon break for an hour or so.
    The pin was either a 43 or 44 Xtra tall.

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

$500 for Isaia and St. Andrews? Â [​IMG] Â My wallet thanks Paul Stuart for being located in NYC and not DC.

18. Buster

Buster Senior member

zjpj83 (or anyone else),

Do you think your middle shoes (i.e. the 3rd pair of shoes in your photos) will go with a pair of jeans. I tried, but could not convince myself (read: my wife) that it works.

B

19. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

So, here's my thought -- getting incredible deals on suits are, while not a dime a dozen, not an incredibly rare thing.  It happens at least on a regular basis.

However, very rarely can you find Grensons for $180 what appears to be an incredible range of sizes, colors, and styles.  We've seen something like this twice in the past 9 months -- Bennies and this event.  

How often can we hope for something like this to come along?

Also, I don't get why Paul Stuart didn't hold a "fire sale" itself? If the goods were so great, and flew out the door so quickly, why not just do a Louis Boston type deal in its own space?

20. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

The brown wholecuts? I don't think they would look right with jeans. They're great shoes, but I think they're too sleek for that. If they were suede, perhaps.