• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart Phineas Cole fall 2011--Styleforum visit to the showroom

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
great article, even better pics. those jodpur boots :inlove: are they suede?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

great article, even better pics. those jodpur boots :inlove: are they suede?

Nubuck. Really nice too. I was tempted, but I dislike leather soles. With the beating I give my shoes, they'd last a week, and I'd have to make some adjustments to them to fit my "street" look.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Any ideas on how I can purchase the tartan-looking coat?
My suggestions are as follows: Visit your nearest Paul Stuart (New York, Chicago, Tokyo, & Seoul). If you can't visit, pick up the phone and call them @ 800.678.8278

Last edited:

JakeLA

Reaction score
Looks like Cosplay. Some of the ties are nice. PS's window displays are always enticing, but when I go inside everything's in pastels or jewel tones.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
spoke to the guys in PS, they can indeed make PC with straight pocket through MTM program at no extra charge. I am super tempted...

It fits extremely well for me off the rack, like almost zero alteration...

p.s. also they start selling Crockett Jones as well, all the stuff I saw were on 348 last, I can identify at least Hallam and Westbourne

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? Can they make any of the sport coats or suits from the Phineas Cole MTM? Some of them aren't that pricy.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nubuck. Really nice too. I was tempted, but I dislike leather soles. With the beating I give my shoes, they'd last a week, and I'd have to make some adjustments to them to fit my "street" look.

anyone know what the story is with those boots?
name? price?

i don't see them on the site, and don't remember seeing them when i was in the store.
the site has a dark bown suede jodphur, but i'm not sure if its the same pair.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really? Can they make any of the sport coats or suits from the Phineas Cole MTM? Some of them aren't that pricy.

Not sure if it's all of them, I bought one on sale item (non Phineas Cole) from him, and he was showing me PC stuff, I told me I love the fit, but hate the hacking pocket, not sure if he was doing it as a favor to get a sale or it's always the case.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

anyone know what the story is with those boots?
name? price?

i don't see them on the site, and don't remember seeing them when i was in the store.
the site has a dark bown suede jodphur, but i'm not sure if its the same pair.

Doesn't Ralph Lauren have more or less identical thing, the old stock used to be made by EG, newer ones (the one I had) was made in Italy for RLPL

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dissent. To me, except for some of the ties and shoes, it's hideous costumey dreck. I hope that the main Paul Stuart lines remain uncontaminated by this egregious bad taste.
Rubbish, they are in perfectly good taste. After all I buy it. That should be sufficient to tell you all you need to know.

But given your avatar, I suppose I comprehend how you came about your view. BTW the other PS lines -- including plain grey suits -- are still there ... so not to worry my man in the grey flannel suit.

I suppose not everyone can have the confidence to risk rocking the boat.

Last edited:

deepitm

Reaction score

Rubbish, they are in perfectly good taste. After all I buy it. That should be sufficient to tell you all you need to know.
But given your avatar, I suppose I comprehend how you came about your view. BTW the other PS lines -- including plain grey suits -- are still there ... so not to worry my man in the grey flannel suit.
I suppose not everyone can have the confidence to risk rocking the boat.

+1 on this. Phineas Cole is not for everyone. In fact, here in Chicago, a lot of the salespeople tried to dissuade me from the Phineas line. I think it may be a bit much for a lot of them. However, I think Phineas is doing its job - which is getting more people interested in (or re-interested in) Paul Stuart. As a young guy, I could buy suits from a number of makers. But with PC, you get the quality of time-tested menswear operations (PS and Samuelsohn) along with something a bit more interesting than your standard PS or Brooks Bros sack suit. While PC may be a bit more rakish than some PS clients are used to, it certainly got me into the store to spend a lot of money that might have otherwise gone elsewhere. So I feel good about buying PC because I am getting quality along with certain elements of that Paul Stuart timeless style.

Sazerac

Reaction score
+1.

The cut and craftsmanship on the whole PC line is superb. They prove that tailored clothing can still be fresh and radical. You do have to have the stones to pull it off, however. Their stuff takes confidence to wear.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Deepitm, given your avatar ... you are NOT the man in the grey flannel suit. That's refreshing!

As the kinds today like to say ... I'm certain you can 'rock' PC ... and I don't mean political correctness.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads