• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart - Manufacturer Made in Italy

Moreshoes

Reaction score
Does anybody know who manufactures the Made in Italy shoes from Paul Stuart? I know the English sized shoes have generally been C&J and Grenson but can't find anywhere in the archives that mention the Made in Italy line.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This topic was discussed here:

Also, PS has not used Grenson for years. They were using Gaziano & Girling for a while for some of their Stuart's Choice.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Also, PS has not used Grenson for years. They were using Gaziano & Girling for a while for some of their Stuart's Choice.

I think these are made by Grenson actually. They don’t look like C&J and they are way too cheap for G&G.

This looks like Grenson.

99008C26-1FEF-4FCF-9F60-E2828BE2B3DB.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a pretty old model and PS doesn’t carry it in their regular line up any longer. Pretty decent price.

like I said, Grenson used to make for PS private label and I imagine this may be a vestige of that relationship.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, depends on the model, I know at least the top of the line Made in Italy is Paolo Scafora (GYW, but I assume to lower standard than Paolo Scafora themselves because it's ~$300 cheaper?). Then there is bunch blake stiched model that I have no idea by whom

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
like this one, another 20% off too (EXTRA20)

definitely a steal, don't need another wingtip and don't have sizing experience with Paolo Scafora (and looking for mostly handwelt these days) otherwise instant cop

Jaggery

Reaction score
well, depends on the model, I know at least the top of the line Made in Italy is Paolo Scafora (GYW, but I assume to lower standard than Paolo Scafora themselves because it's ~$300 cheaper?). Then there is bunch blake stiched model that I have no idea by whom

In the recent past, some Paul Stuart shoes and boots bore strong similarities to Romano Martegani and Rider Boot Co. models. Both brands are affiliated with an Italian maker called Cortina (if Cortina is still using the Martegani label). The company makes several varieties of "Blake plus" shoes, i.e. Blake-rapid and other constructions that incorporate Blake stitching along with features such as welts. Please do not rely on this as definitive with respect to any shoes PS is currently selling; they have clearly used multiple makers for house brand footwear.

Last edited:

compuccesory

Reaction score
like this one, another 20% off too (EXTRA20)

definitely a steal, don't need another wingtip and don't have sizing experience with Paolo Scafora (and looking for mostly handwelt these days) otherwise instant cop

There's a bunch of "English Size" shoes for around the $210 mark too after coupon, which is a fair price if they are C&J which they seem to be. I'm in the same spot as you though, just grabbed one of the BB C&J shoes for $177 and it's nice, but I don't really see the value proposition or why it's 2-3x the price of my other shoes. I think if I'm really goin to spend shoes next it's going to be handwelt as well.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that's more than fair, they're all CJ to my knowledge, other than old stock, don't think there is any more AS/Grenson these days.

I prefer Paul Stuart's CJ to BB by far because they're mostly on same mainstream last (348/341/360) rather than BB which was like 90% on 240 (which doesn't look that great, and at least for me doesn't fit that well either).

I didn't pick up Paolo Scafora because I'm mostly on Antonio Meccariello these day as I know AM fits me well and Paolo Scafora is unkonwn quantity (and exploring bunch higher end Chinese handwelt guys).

I think Paolo Scafora is well worth the price, just by looking at Paolo Scafora's picture alone (old Skoat stuff and others), it easily beats all major English brand on finishing term (though Paolo Scafora is definitely more "pointy" for lack of better word)

compuccesory

Reaction score
I think that's more than fair, they're all CJ to my knowledge, other than old stock, don't think there is any more AS/Grenson these days.

I prefer Paul Stuart's CJ to BB by far because they're mostly on same mainstream last (348/341/360) rather than BB which was like 90% on 240 (which doesn't look that great, and at least for me doesn't fit that well either).

I didn't pick up Paolo Scafora because I'm mostly on Antonio Meccariello these day as I know AM fits me well and Paolo Scafora is unkonwn quantity (and exploring bunch higher end Chinese handwelt guys).

I think Paolo Scafora is well worth the price, just by looking at Paolo Scafora's picture alone (old Skoat stuff and others), it easily beats all major English brand on finishing term (though Paolo Scafora is definitely more "pointy" for lack of better word)

That's interesting, there's this C&J Hand grade no-lace, it's an interesting look and they have my size too

These are CJ Benchgrade presumably

...and this antique calf

THe description says blake, but based on MSRP that's got to be one of their higher end lines, Paolo Scafora as you said, and that's a pretty remarkable amount of sewn detail for a blake rapid shoe. I wonder if the description is correct.

Well that's just what they have in my size, some of the deals seem solid but it's tough to justify $300 for a GYW shoe when you can get handwelt Meermin for that much.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn’t inquire the last one (I asked 3 explicitly so they told me which last they are on). I think Paola Scafora are they like all Italian manufactures they can do anything (Blake/GYW/Handwelt). A proper norwegian stitching from Paolo Scafora is going to cost like 1.6k? So maybe it’s possible to do Blake then decorative, no idea?

I still take aesthetics first though, like not handwe is not an auto no for me, I would think these Paolo Scafora would finish way better than Meermin construction aside

Kalec

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads