• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Stuart Custom?

gherrmann

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the newish "custom" operation at Paul Stuart (which supposedly is more "custom" than their existing MTM offerings)? Would appreciate hearing any impressions folks might have. Thanks in advance.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found these images on maximinus blog.

I'll post my own soon enough.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this MTM with a basted fitting?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do a basted, forward, and final fitting for first time customers. This is my first foray into custom/bespoke so I wouldn't be able to tell if its mtm with a bunch of fittings. They pretty much nailed the fit at the basted fitting which made the forward fitting seem almost redundant. Go to the store and check out the suits, and talk to Mark the product is pretty impressive.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: Suits are nice in terms of style and fit but a bit over priced for what you are really buying. If you are interested in drape style suits and a real bespoke suit go to Steed.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any pics?

tps16

Reaction score
We're you happy with the result? Also, thought it was bespoke? I'm going for a 2nd fitting on a jacket there soon

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am very pleased with how the product turned out and will use them for certain commissions. The jacket that was made is as close as you can get to bespoke for a jacket made in a factory. The chest and lapels are padded by hand. The pants aren't necessarily bespoke and are pretty much done at the basted fitting. I was a bit disappointed when my first suit had really high wasted trouser that were already finished at the initial fitting. This was something I did not ask for in the initial consultation. Also, the buttonholes aren't as fine on the pants in comparison to the jacket. It's an impressive product but it doesn't fit my definition of bespoke. I'd rather be measured by the person cutting my coat and support the artisans of a "dying" trade. At the price PS charges I'd rather go with a real artisan.

However, I think they make some unique peak lapels and will use them for special garments. I hope this helps.

tps16

Reaction score

I am very pleased with how the product turned out and will use them for certain commissions. The jacket that was made is as close as you can get to bespoke for a jacket made in a factory. The chest and lapels are padded by hand. The pants aren't necessarily bespoke and are pretty much done at the basted fitting. I was a bit disappointed when my first suit had really high wasted trouser that were already finished at the initial fitting. This was something I did not ask for in the initial consultation. Also, the buttonholes aren't as fine on the pants in comparison to the jacket. It's an impressive product but it doesn't fit my definition of bespoke. I'd rather be measured by the person cutting my coat and support the artisans of a "dying" trade. At the price PS charges I'd rather go with a real artisan.

However, I think they make some unique peak lapels and will use them for special garments. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the insight. My main concern at the first fitting was that the shoulders were a little too extended and Mark agreed to take them in a hair. Everything else looked good. Mark has been very professional throughout the process and a pleasure to work with. He's clearly passionate about the product.

This is my first "drape" jacket, so I'm viewing it as an experiment. I wasn't informed that the jacket was made in a factory though. Greenfield?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's a nice guy, and will make sure everything thing is right. He made the comment that his product is just as good as regular bespoke houses, and probably the reason why he uses the word custom. I never asked if it was made by Greenfield but one can assume. The jacket is union made, but the buttonholes for the jacket are made by someone else.

It's a beautiful product and will use them again. For now I would like to support the real artisans.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greenfield is the factory.

tps16

Reaction score

Greenfield is the factory.

Thanks!

He's a nice guy, and will make sure everything thing is right. He made the comment that his product is just as good as regular bespoke houses, and probably the reason why he uses the word custom. I never asked if it was made by Greenfield but one can assume. The jacket is union made, but the buttonholes for the jacket are made by someone else.

It's a beautiful product and will use them again. For now I would like to support the real artisans.

Yes, he did mention to me about his buttonhole person. The ones I saw looked quite nice. I thought the fit was mostly spot-on with the exception of the shoulders, but it was hard to see where the drape will be, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it's shaping up.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads