• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Smith blazer

Noahsi

Reaction score
Hi all -

Quick question regarding the quality of Paul Smith suits / blazers... I found myself with a gift card to Bloomingdales and went looking for a blazer today. Ended up buying a lightweight / unstructured navy blazer from Paul Smith on sale for $600 from $1000 (think it is this blazer, but in a dark navy, tho the label on the inside of the jacket is a bit different: http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/us-en/sh...ailored-fit-grey-windowpane-check-blazer.html). Is this considered a nice blazer? I am primarily looking for something to wear with jeans / khakis, for going out .. not super formal. If not this, anything else I should consider at Bloomingdales in a similar price range? I think this one fit pretty well (size 38), though the sleeves need to be shortened a bit and I am considering taking it in just a bit in the back as well.

Thanks so much for the input!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That URL is to a suit, if you were thinking about buying a suit jacket as blazer forget that silly idea. Suits and casual jackets are quite different and thus to buy the 'wrong' one and create an orphan at birth is quite not a good idea in the slightest.

Noahsi

Reaction score
Hi GBR -

Thanks for the input. Here is another link with the same jacket in a different color closer to the one I bought which I hadn't seen on their website earlier (the windowpane lines on mine are fainter): http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/us-en/sh...ailored-fit-navy-windowpane-check-blazer.html, where the model is not wearing the matching pants. Also, at the store they had some Paul Smith suits, and then also had individual jackets on their own which is what this was...no indication it was part of a suit. Perhaps this is an ignorant question but do the matching trousers make it a "suit" and if so, what are the main differences between a suit jacket and a blazer?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is still a suit jacket and my original comments apply equally to that as well.

A suit jacket is simply not a blazer.

Cut to answer your second question, the number of times people have put up a suit jacket because the trousers had been injured and it looks no more right now as then. Ignore shops, they will tell you anything that they think you believe to get merchandise out of the door.

Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
The fact it is made from worsted wool will strongly run the risk of looking like an orphaned suit jacket and despite its pattern being too formal to wear with jeans. The cut of the jacket is equally an odd blend of formal and informal that you expect from fashion houses, the jacket is too short for being a proper suit jacket on the model but has jetted pockets etc.

Orphan jacket -v- sports jacket/blazer isnt an immediately easy one to answer and a quick google will bring up much better answers than mine would be. There are some suits, particularly "country" or "summer" ones where it is possible to use the jacket as a casual piece but there has to be careful selection of fabric and cut/style for this to work (and in some cases of tweed jackets people may be more surprised that trousers existed than it look like an orphan)

aj805

Reaction score
What the others said...

Also, that OP links to the ugliest ensemble I think I've ever seen--and that was before I noticed the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads