• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Fredrick, Brooks Brothers, Lands End

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying BB (regular finish Pinpoint), LE (pinpoint 80's), or PF (broad cloth 50's) shirts because they are all in my $30 a shirt price range that i don't want to exceed.  I have heard decent things about all three and have only had experience with BB.  I was wondering how do they compare to each other, which ones do you prefer and why?  Right now i'm leaning towards the 2 lands end, and one BB because lands end does not have any French Cuff in my size. Good choice?

on a side note, a shirt with or without a pocket is just personal preference one isn't more formal than the other is it?

thanks
Nik

My View

Reaction score
I haven't bought anything from BB and PF, but my experience with Lands' End has been good. Their shirts are in general of good quality. Watch out for the overstocks section which is updated every Wednesday and Saturday with new items. Some first quality overstocks shirts go for below US$20 and I consider that excellent value.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
on a side note, a shirt with or without a pocket is just personal preference one isn't more formal than the other is it?
For business purposes, a pocket is just a preference. However, for a really "formal" occasion, maybe where a good guideline is that it would be one where you would expect to wear French (or single link) cuffs, a suitable shirt should not have a pocket. Much like my hometown, this is a big gray area. As for the shirts you mentioned, I have only seen any of them in thrift stores, but from what I've seen they are all around the same quality range. Personally for $30 I would visit Marshalls and pick up some Polo 'Philip' dress shirts, as they are much closer cut and quite a good value for that price. However, you are only likely to find them in white broadcloth or pinpoint oxford, in my experience. (Not that that's a bad thing).

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally for $30 I would visit Marshalls and pick up some Polo 'Philip' dress shirts, as they are much closer cut and quite a good value for that price....
Or a Nautica, Calvin Klein or Donna Karan. All are excellent shirts for the $22 or so you'll pay at a Marshalls or TJMaxx.

curt222

Reaction score
Until the end of the day today you can get 3 Brooks Brothers "Luxury" shirts for $118. I like the regular Brooks line - particularly the non iron - and have also bought Lands End shirts. Trust me, the luxury line shirts are much, much better than either. The fabric is excellent. If it wasn't for the plastic buttons - which are thicker than Brooks' normal button but still plastic - I'd consider these shirts on par with shirts I have from Zegna and Borrelli. Obviously you will need to hurry but these shirts are a great deal.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a Land's End today but I didn't know it was an outlet.  So i picked up one shirt to see how i like it.  It was only $15 so i think a pretty good deal.  I'm ordering 3 BB luxary shirts right now.  There site is soooo slow.  Hopefully i will be happy with them (edit: They ddin't have my size in anything for the luxary french cuffs, needed two white and a blue but only had a blue in my size, damn then so i had to settle for the basic ones).  I have only owned the BB regual and non-iron and have been very happy with them but then again i don't have high end shirts to compare them too.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
Please be careful with shirts in that price range. Colors don't last, sizing is irregular, sewing is not good, buttons break, cotton staple sizing is small, and the designs are lackluster. I throw these shirts away after a few weeks. Pays to spend a little more.
biggrin.gif

Tom

Reaction score
My favorite shirts at an excellent price point are T M Lewin.

-Tom

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to realize i would love to buy nice shirts but i just can't afford them. I could buy two shirts for $75 each or i could buy 5 instead and give me more choices of what to wear. I hope one day i can afford nice shirts but being in college these are the best i can do for the money.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to realize i would love to buy nice shirts but i just can't afford them.  I could buy two shirts for $75 each or i could buy 5 instead and give me more choices of what to wear.  I hope one day i can afford nice shirts but being in college these are the best i can do for the money.
For me, the Brooks Bros. shirts I bought 20 years ago still hold-up. So there might be something to be said for enduring value of shirt (whoever the maker). Part of it actually might be the fabric, 80's Oxford would probably hold up better than Sea Island, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads