1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Patterned white tie for funeral?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CashmereLover, Oct 27, 2010.

1. cardguy

cardguy Senior member

What do SW&D members wear to funerals? Even darker denim?

[​IMG]

- B

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Solid black.

With a white shirt is the only real option for me.

3. CashmereLover

CashmereLover Senior member

Cashmere Lover,

Thank you for sharing what is correct to wear to a funeral in Sweden. I live in Thailand and I am always learning new things about cultures that surprise me. Can you please share with us why white tie is used in Sweden?

Learning interesting facts about clothes is one of the reasons that I enjoy this form so much.

The tie with flowers that you linked to is an interesting and peaceful choice.

I suggest that you go with what makes you feel comfortable in terms of design and texture.

A white grenadine silk is also an interesting choice. It is hard to get a good photo of a white silk but here is a white grenadine:

[​IMG]

A closeup to better show the texture:

[​IMG]

Thank you for your interest and comments.

Apparently, according to Fonus (the funeral bureau I linked to) the background is the following: A few decades ago most male funeral guests were supposed to wear white tie (with white shirt and black suit). Distant relatives/friends could alternatively wear black tie. So most people would wear white tie as I interpret the text.

These days though, only the very closest family wear white tie. The rest wear black tie. According to some source, you wear white tie only if you are the father, the son or the husband of the person who's died. Some other source say that you can also be a grand son or grand father wearing a white tie.

According to Fonus, both black and white are colors of mourning.

Concluding; I personally believe you can always wear a black tie but if you're closely related, you can definitely also wear a white tie.

I haven't found the reasons for these "rules".

4. The Swede

The Swede Senior member

As far as I know the tradition of using a white tie comes from the fact that a few generations ago the correct clothing for a funeral was "white tie", i.e. formal wear, tails (frack in Swedish). With tails you naturally wear a white bow tie (but plain, not in pique as you would to an ordinary occasion). The funeral version also omits all gold accessories and I believe might also include black bands around arms and hats.

So when the tails were being phased out, people wore white ties with black suits to simulate them as closely as possible.

Certain circles actually still wear tails to funerals in Sweden, I think the Knights of St John still do it. Maybe also the Knights of the order of Malta. Freemasons probably as well.

5. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

In Belgium, and I believe other countries with a catholic presence, it is also permissible to wear a dark purple tie, as dark purple is a canon mourning colour.

6. thrice

thrice Well-Known Member

Interesting, I did expect this to be a surprise for some cultures, although not Americans. I had no idea. [​IMG] To clarify: white tie for close family, black tie for the rest. Anyway, I'm in northern Europe, and I've actually never heard of any alternative to a solid white or black tie... We wear it with a solid white shirt. This is the most traditional and well known combination to me. As for suit (since we're going quite general now), we would wear a solid black one. Dark gray or dark navy is acceptable, but black is the most suitable.
    I have never heard about anything else than black suit, white shirt, black tie at a funeral. Allthought dark grey would work. I certainly would never wear a white tie. I'm from Norway, and that seems too be the custom here.

7. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

Wear something you can get liquor on. Those are the best kinds of funerals.

8. CashmereLover

As far as I know the tradition of using a white tie comes from the fact that a few generations ago the correct clothing for a funeral was "white tie", i.e. formal wear, tails (frack in Swedish). With tails you naturally wear a white bow tie (but plain, not in pique as you would to an ordinary occasion). The funeral version also omits all gold accessories and I believe might also include black bands around arms and hats.

So when the tails were being phased out, people wore white ties with black suits to simulate them as closely as possible.

Certain circles actually still wear tails to funerals in Sweden, I think the Knights of St John still do it. Maybe also the Knights of the order of Malta. Freemasons probably as well.

I saw some text too that confirms your post.

In Belgium, and I believe other countries with a catholic presence, it is also permissible to wear a dark purple tie, as dark purple is a canon mourning colour.

OK, never heard of that before.

I have never heard about anything else than black suit, white shirt, black tie at a funeral. Allthought dark grey would work. I certainly would never wear a white tie. I'm from Norway, and that seems too be the custom here.

Very interesting, since we are neighbor countries and quite closely related... although I guess there is a bigger difference between Norwegian and Swedish culture than what first meets the eye.

By the way, I changed the thread title to something a little more generic, excluding the Benjamin tie originally brought up.

9. siglo vi

siglo vi Senior member

hate to hijack this thread but I was wondering what you guys thought of people (especially younger people) wearing peak lapels to a funeral? I personally find that it's a little too showy for a funeral. any thoughts?

10. CashmereLover

hate to hijack this thread but I was wondering what you guys thought of people (especially younger people) wearing peak lapels to a funeral? I personally find that it's a little too showy for a funeral. any thoughts?

With a DB jacket, peak lapels would be standard, so I guess it's fine...?

11. Big T

Big T Senior member

I don't know about the funerals you guys go to, but the ones I mostly attend, everyone seems to be focused on the horizontal guest.