• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick Ervell S/S 09 and F/W 09

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
My first bid to help out in the designer thread/awareness stuff Since Ervell doesn't really change that much from season to season, i may as well post favorite looks from each. I'm only posting some of the collections. The rest are viewable through the links. I included the links that lead to runway revies as well as the complete collection in case some are interested in reading what someone has to say about the collection. Even though it's normally overly glowing and full of hot air. At least it's something though S/S 09 http://men.style.com/fashion/collect...review/PERVMEN
00020m.jpg
00010m.jpg
00070m.jpg
00080m.jpg
00100m.jpg
00140m.jpg
00170m.jpg
00180m.jpg
00220m.jpg
00250m.jpg
hi patrick!
00260m.jpg
************************************************************************* F/W 09 http://men.style.com/fashion/collect...review/PERVMEN
00030m.jpg
00050m.jpg
00070m.jpg
00080m.jpg
00100m.jpg
00120m.jpg
00130m.jpg
00160m.jpg
00170m.jpg
00190m.jpg
00220m.jpg
hi patrick
00250m.jpg
I have my favorite looks and pieces but i'll let others weigh in first. Personally, i understand that ervell is relatively conservative, but i usually enjoy his color/texture pallet and like watching his shows become slightly more refined each season. I really enjoy the cut of his pants and some of his blazers. He's normally big into the slim, shrunken bottoms with slightly boxier top. The past collections were pretty nice (albeit similar) as well and has moderate online and b&m stockists. Most of it is pretty safe, but it's the kinda stuff i could definitely wear a ton of if i had the cash. I dig the vibe. Figured i'd pitch in to show people some other brands and start with one that is relatively well known and easy to swallow.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the second pic is actually the background on my comp. I
inlove.gif
patrick ervell.

chronoaug

Reaction score
It's not overly exciting, but some of the textures and tones are nice. There are usually only 2 looks i fully like every season, but most are cut nice and certain pieces i think would definitely be worth picking up.

I'm surprised you don't like some of the pieces, vanna. I know you like more saturated rather than muted color pallets but some of the fall individual pieces are nice. Some of the stuff is hit/miss but a few of the proportions are really nice.

Also, just trying to throw up more than the standard fare that is discussed or fawned over. I think some ervell pieces can definitely work in with a lot of people's styles

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like most people here run away screaming when others talk about runway shows and runway fashion...I think Ervell is, as Chrono said, pretty easy to swallow, yet still pretty stylish and well made.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very uninspired. Stands in stark contrast to Junya's, which seemed to mine similar territory much better.

Hell, J Crew was much better.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Very uninspired. Stands in stark contrast to Junya's, which seemed to mine similar territory much better.

Hell, J Crew was much better.

I don't really see how his stuff mimics junya. There is a completely different mood these ss and fw 09 shows. Nothing like junya at all. As i was mentioning to gosurface, the 2009 collections are much more wearable, and flattering than the 2008 collections where he used a lot of really tight bottoms and short, super boxy tops.

I think the dreamy, romantic quality in these collections through the color pallet, textures, little white flecks in the wool almost like rubbing your eyes hard and looking around or just waking up from a long sleep with the sun coming in through white linen drapes if i want to get needlessly pretentious (oh, and i certainly do). Ervell stuff doesn't change drastically from season to season but i do think it builds upon the last season and generally gets a bit better. It's not necessarily high fashion, but provides a nice niche market that i think is well done.

To be honest, margiela, jil, ann d, rick owens, and other bigger names put out really similar collections with only slight tweaks each year.

I'm not a die hard ervell fan or anything, but i do think these 2009 collections are an improvement over the 2008 ones and accomplishes the young, dreamy, romantic dandy look quite well.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'm not a die hard ervell fan or anything, but i do think these 2009 collections are an improvement over the 2008 ones and accomplishes the young, dreamy, romantic dandy look quite well.

Hah, that sounds to me like you just described Robert Geller's last S/S collection.

The Junya comparison was just because this year he did sort of simple, American which stood out IMHO a lot more then some of these actual "simple, American brands.

chronoaug

Reaction score
There's a lot more to "american" than 1-2 looks though. I wouldn't necessarily say that ervel 2009 shows are that "american" as they used to be. A bit more british and victorian influences (not as much as say ann d or n(n) though)

Again, maybe it's just a different way we view collections, but just because ervell and geller are american designers, i don't really think they're making the same kind of clothes. Geller is a much more dark, brooding, russian, and military influenced kinda guy compared to Ervell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads