• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patina.

elgreco

Reaction score
Recently, I realized that the obsessiveness about shoe care that SF has imparted upon me has resulted in the development of a rather nice patina on a pair of C&J Drummonds that I own. Provided for your benefit, (large) before and after pictures of the shoes:

October 2009, roughly around the time of purchase:

5411882047_c81368c821_b.jpg

February 2011, after a cleaning with saddle soap and maintenance with Renovateur:

5412493072_2143c3f507_b.jpg

Typically, these shoes have been conditioned with Crema Nubiana, and polished with dark brown Saphir Medaille d'Or whenever I have a moment and they are looking dull. Recently, seeing how my supply of Nubiana has run out and no one in the U.S. seems to carry it anymore, I've switched over to Saphir Renovateur and couldn't be happier about the switch. I think the difference between Crema Nubiana and Renovateur is marked.

Please post up similar photo series of your shoes if you have them.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Looking good. Not sure about saddle soap... what is the point? (no snark, just not sure) Timely thread... I cleaned these up tonight using Renovateur, a horsehair brush and polishing cloth.
263j3f8.jpg
iei2a8.jpg

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Not sure about saddle soap... what is the point? (no snark, just not sure)

Only because there is a lot of salt on the ground here in DC on account of the winter weather we've been having. I got a little nervous about any damage, so I decided to give them a once-over with saddle soap to remove any damaging junk and then get in there with the Renovateur for the conditioning. Think of it as a shampoo + conditioner regimen.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
Recently, I realized that the obsessiveness about shoe care that SF has imparted upon me has resulted in the development of a rather nice patina on a pair of C&J Drummonds that I own. Provided for your benefit, (large) before and after pictures of the shoes:

October 2009, roughly around the time of purchase:

5411882047_c81368c821_b.jpg

February 2011, after a cleaning with saddle soap and maintenance with Renovateur:

5412493072_2143c3f507_b.jpg

Typically, these shoes have been conditioned with Crema Nubiana, and polished with dark brown Saphir Medaille d'Or whenever I have a moment and they are looking dull. Recently, seeing how my supply of Nubiana has run out and no one in the U.S. seems to carry it anymore, I've switched over to Saphir Renovateur and couldn't be happier about the switch. I think the difference between Crema Nubiana and Renovateur is marked.

Please post up similar photo series of your shoes if you have them.

Why did you use a brutal product like saddle soap? It has acted like a metho washdown.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Why did you use a brutal product like saddle soap? It has acted like a metho washdown.

What SHOULD I use then?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
What SHOULD I use then?

Just reno. Saddle Soap is too harsh for fine leathers. It dries them out. It should only be used on leathers like saddles, or things that aren't meant to be shined up and flexing and such. Even then it is questionable. it does dry the hell out of the leather though. Reno is really all you need. Once in a while if there is too much wax build-up you can gently rub a little bit of alcohol, or deglazer on them and then re build a finish with creams and some wax.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Looking good. Not sure about saddle soap... what is the point? (no snark, just not sure)

Timely thread... I cleaned these up tonight using Renovateur, a horsehair brush and polishing cloth.

263j3f8.jpg

iei2a8.jpg

This is quite nice. Do you use black polish?

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Just reno. Saddle Soap is too harsh for fine leathers. It dries them out. It should only be used on leathers like saddles, or things that aren't meant to be shined up and flexing and such. Even then it is questionable. it does dry the hell out of the leather though. Reno is really all you need. Once in a while if there is too much wax build-up you can gently rub a little bit of alcohol, or deglazer on them and then re build a finish with creams and some wax.

Okay, this is very helpful (as opposed to the above comment).

Can you recommend a deglazer? I've been looking for one since I feel like my monks have a bit too much buildup and could use a "fresh" start, so to speak.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics