• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Patina.

elgreco

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
730
Reaction score
4
Recently, I realized that the obsessiveness about shoe care that SF has imparted upon me has resulted in the development of a rather nice patina on a pair of C&J Drummonds that I own. Provided for your benefit, (large) before and after pictures of the shoes:

October 2009, roughly around the time of purchase:



February 2011, after a cleaning with saddle soap and maintenance with Renovateur:



Typically, these shoes have been conditioned with Crema Nubiana, and polished with dark brown Saphir Medaille d'Or whenever I have a moment and they are looking dull. Recently, seeing how my supply of Nubiana has run out and no one in the U.S. seems to carry it anymore, I've switched over to Saphir Renovateur and couldn't be happier about the switch. I think the difference between Crema Nubiana and Renovateur is marked.

Please post up similar photo series of your shoes if you have them.
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Looking good. Not sure about saddle soap... what is the point? (no snark, just not sure) Timely thread... I cleaned these up tonight using Renovateur, a horsehair brush and polishing cloth.
 

elgreco

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
730
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Not sure about saddle soap... what is the point? (no snark, just not sure)

Only because there is a lot of salt on the ground here in DC on account of the winter weather we've been having. I got a little nervous about any damage, so I decided to give them a once-over with saddle soap to remove any damaging junk and then get in there with the Renovateur for the conditioning. Think of it as a shampoo + conditioner regimen.
 

meister

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2007
Messages
9,116
Reaction score
1,619
Originally Posted by elgreco
Recently, I realized that the obsessiveness about shoe care that SF has imparted upon me has resulted in the development of a rather nice patina on a pair of C&J Drummonds that I own. Provided for your benefit, (large) before and after pictures of the shoes:

October 2009, roughly around the time of purchase:



February 2011, after a cleaning with saddle soap and maintenance with Renovateur:



Typically, these shoes have been conditioned with Crema Nubiana, and polished with dark brown Saphir Medaille d'Or whenever I have a moment and they are looking dull. Recently, seeing how my supply of Nubiana has run out and no one in the U.S. seems to carry it anymore, I've switched over to Saphir Renovateur and couldn't be happier about the switch. I think the difference between Crema Nubiana and Renovateur is marked.

Please post up similar photo series of your shoes if you have them.


Why did you use a brutal product like saddle soap? It has acted like a metho washdown.
 

elgreco

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
730
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by meister
Why did you use a brutal product like saddle soap? It has acted like a metho washdown.

What SHOULD I use then?
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
35,728
Reaction score
10,644
Originally Posted by elgreco
What SHOULD I use then?

Just reno. Saddle Soap is too harsh for fine leathers. It dries them out. It should only be used on leathers like saddles, or things that aren't meant to be shined up and flexing and such. Even then it is questionable. it does dry the hell out of the leather though. Reno is really all you need. Once in a while if there is too much wax build-up you can gently rub a little bit of alcohol, or deglazer on them and then re build a finish with creams and some wax.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
35,728
Reaction score
10,644
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Looking good. Not sure about saddle soap... what is the point? (no snark, just not sure)

Timely thread... I cleaned these up tonight using Renovateur, a horsehair brush and polishing cloth.





This is quite nice. Do you use black polish?
 

elgreco

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
730
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Just reno. Saddle Soap is too harsh for fine leathers. It dries them out. It should only be used on leathers like saddles, or things that aren't meant to be shined up and flexing and such. Even then it is questionable. it does dry the hell out of the leather though. Reno is really all you need. Once in a while if there is too much wax build-up you can gently rub a little bit of alcohol, or deglazer on them and then re build a finish with creams and some wax.

Okay, this is very helpful (as opposed to the above comment).

Can you recommend a deglazer? I've been looking for one since I feel like my monks have a bit too much buildup and could use a "fresh" start, so to speak.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,102
Messages
9,192,160
Members
193,056
Latest member
johnidiott

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top