1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Path to IT job

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Jekyll, Aug 12, 2010.

1. il ciclista

il ciclista Well-Known Member

Lol, some just do it because mom or dad wanted them to, so they just do bare minimum and float their way through college.

2. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

Bizarre that someone who wanted to be a filmmaker now wants to work in IT. Why not farming? Or biochemical engineering? Choose your own non sequitur. I don't see the link.

Are you qualified to do any of these things? Are they going to hold your interest or do you just want to make a guaranteed dollar in an industry you perceive as stable? If the answer to either of these questions is no, you are either headed for massive failure in the short term, or else job dissatisfaction and a mid-life crisis in the long term.

People seem to be treating this thread as if it's about the nature of the IT industry. It's not. This is a thread about lacking common sense and not getting your shit together early in life. Globetrotter's post about the foreign legion was more realistic than some of the fanciful imagining going on here.

3. il ciclista

il ciclista Well-Known Member

Well it's never to late to get your act together! I did 6yrs in the military just to get out and go to school..so yeah graduation at 32 is awesome lol.

If it were me i'd join the AF or coast guard and get some experience there.

4. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

foreign legion

Do you have any experience with this?

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Path to IT job

1) White face makeup
    2) Clown nose & hair
    3) Sharpen teeth
    4) Attain magic powers
    5) Eat children
    6) ????
    7) Profit!!

6. pseudonym

pseudonym Well-Known Member

This thread has been a major help to me as I explore more options.

I'll bump this to keep it going.

7. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

Programming is saturated at the lower end, where you're basically a code-monkey. There's no real barrier to entry for programming - which means there's a lot of people who woke up one day and decided that they're programmers but 90% of them are terrible at it.

+ 1000. The amount of guys coming in to interview with 10 years experience who can't code their way out of a bag is astonishing.

There are only two things that matter in getting a good IT job.

1. Can you have an intelligent conversation with your interviewer? Show them you are not a dick and you are pleasant to work with.

2. Can you pass with flying colors when they grill you technically? Good companies will give you a programming exercise/exam and a few hours to show them what you can do. Most companies will ask you trivia about whatever your stated expertise is - if you can teach them something, they will hire you.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

2. Can you pass with flying colors when they grill you technically? Good companies will give you a programming exercise/exam and a few hours to show them what you can do. Most companies will ask you trivia about whatever your stated expertise is - if you can teach them something, they will hire you.

That is why I got hired.

Are you qualified to do any of these things? Are they going to hold your interest or do you just want to make a guaranteed dollar in an industry you perceive as stable? If the answer to either of these questions is no, you are either headed for massive failure in the short term, or else job dissatisfaction and a mid-life crisis in the long term.

There is truth here. There are a lot of people in IT that are unsuited for it. You have to enjoy it if you want a successful career and to be happy in the long run. The reality is, things are always changing, which means you have to keep up, which means constant training. I don't know about other people, but if I'm not interested in something, studying it is torture and it's difficult to force yourself to do it. You can tread water if you want to, but eventually it will catch up to you and you will become unemployable. I would say that you have to keep up in all professions if you want to be good at your job, but in IT, there are very clear markers as to whether you are keeping up or not.

That said, it can be very difficult, and require a little luck, to find the right area. It's a wide field and the only way to figure out what you like is to try it.

9. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

You can tread water if you want to, but eventually it will catch up to you and you will become unemployable. I would say that you have to keep up in all professions if you want to be good at your job, but in IT, there are very clear markers as to whether you are keeping up or not.

The smart ones who don't feel like keeping up go into management, though the good managers still have a decent understanding of newer stuff.