• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Patent leather questions

Ott

Reaction score
this might be more of a streetwear question but you guys know more about leather

I bought a pair of boots from Costume National off yoox a while ago. Inside the box was a little slip saying how to care for patent-leather (do not use oil or polish, etc). This confused me because, when I think patent leather, I think shiny/black/dressy shoes that ones wears once a year. These are green boots, and have a rather matte finish.

So my first question is, is this even patent leather or was there a screwup at the factory/yoox? How can I tell? the stickers and box just say 'leather'.

Second question, how do I care for these things if I can't polish or oil or spray them? are they waterproof as-is? Will they survive the great Canadian winter? I already have cedar boot-trees.

I did a search but didn't turn up much. these are the boots in case you were wondering.

Thanks!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks more like regular leather. I guess it could be a patent leather surface, though as you said patent is usually very glossy. The composition label of the shoe should tell you if they are leather or patent - under "upper" it will either say "man made" or "leather" etc., or may have a little outline of a hide, which is an icon for leather. I'm not sure what the similar icon for patent would be.

To clean patent leather, vinegar on a cloth is often recommended. There's not much care involved other than cleaning them if they get dirty. There are different ways to remove scuffs, but as the insert said, regular shoe polish isn't recommended.

stach

Reaction score
Yes I think the factory made a boo boo.

Ott

Reaction score
here's a better picture the stickers just say leather everything, rubber sole. Is there any way to tell for sure? If I use mink oil and its patent leather, they're wrecked.. and if I don't use any waterproofer on them and they AREN'T patent leather, they're going to get destroyed quick. What if I put mink oil on one part and see if it darkens? I assume patent leather wouldn't darken...?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cool boots. No, I don't think they are patent.

Metal Circus

Reaction score
I got the last pair of these boots. I love them, but I seriously doubt they're going to survive a Chicago winter. The leather feels like paper. They're gorgeous, though.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40