• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patent leather loafer with tuxedo?

musicmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm heading to Europe soon and plan on taking my tuxedo since the Mrs. & I will be attending several operas (Bavarian, Vienna, and Prague state operas). I'd like to save a little weight and space in packing by leaving home my 19-ounce-apiece size 12 Peal/BB patent oxfords.

I saw these at my local Ferragamo dealer and they are lightweight and comfortable, and could double as a backup walking shoe with some sharp denims.

But.... does the "driving" heel render them déclassé for pairing with a tuxedo?

http://www.parkandbond.com/product/99541261

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Between the moc toe, bit and heel I would think they'd be a bad choice. Also, they would look terrible with jeans. Why not get real pumps?

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That heel and the horse bit buckle aren't going to work. And patent leather and denim to walk around town, too? You're going to swap 38 ounces for what? 25 or so? Has the excess cargo surcharge for a third of a kilo become so excessive to warrant a purchase of $500 alternate shoes?

Last edited:

tinsel

Reaction score
We all have to make sacrifices when travelling for a length of time. You should wear your black monogrammed velvet slippers. I assume you are packing a pair?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between this, and a simple black shoe, I'd say a wholecut or cap-toe would be less distinctively wrong. If someone is going to notice there are two thoughts:

1. Wearing those "lol that guy couldn't even get the right kind of pump, thats clearly loafer. Idiot"

2. Wearing a normal black shoe "Gah, don't people know you're supposed to wear opera pumps with black tie?!"

Personally I'd rather be thought ignorant than stupid, but its a personal choice.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This EMartNJ fella is a genius. Heed his advice.

musicmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OK thanks all for the advice. Anyone got a good source for slippers/pumps? Brooks Brothers sells two varieties made by Peal (plain and BB monogrammed) but they are out of my size. I also tried Mezlan's two velvet offerings (Davino and Dominio) and didn't like the fit.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those loafers are $530, right? Here you are, and less that $200. You may even get the VAT refunded. You can divvy the $300 amongst EMartNJ, tinsel, Blackhood and me and keep the remaining $30 for yourself. Cheers.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Between this, and a simple black shoe, I'd say a wholecut or cap-toe would be less distinctively wrong.

Agreed. The patent leather is highly formal, which is what you want, but then the horse-bit and moc-toe are very informal features, not befitting a formal shoe.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
everybody will see and know that you're american. so take some black shoes, you likely already have, and you're set, imo

knezz

Reaction score
Suck it up and take you "19-ounce-apiece size 12 Peal/BB patent oxfords". You could purchase some patent opera pumps (simular to Albert slippers). They appear to be even lighter than the shoes you show above.

I would totaly stay away from the above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads