1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Patek, Yellow Gold, Rose Gold or White Gold. Help in choosing the color.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mell, Jan 23, 2008.

1. mell

mell Well-Known Member

I have picked out the Patek I want to purchase but am wondering what the preference is on metal color. White Gold, Yellow Gold or Rose Gold. In speaking to the Patek saleman, he indicated that White Gold is the most popular, but that may be because that is what he has in stock. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like yellow gold. When I was younger I preferred white, but now think that the softness of yellow is especially nice. Rose can be beautiful as well.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Depends first on the dial colour, and second on the hands color/metal

As an absolute, I'd say RG/PG is my favorite metal for dress watches, WG comes second and YG last

4. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rose gold with a blue or black face is stunning. The Lange Datograph and AP ROOS in rose gold are my dream watches.

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Rose gold always for me.
    Yellow gold is too plain and can be tacky.
    White gold is ok, but is plain as stainless steel.

7. mell

mell Well-Known Member

I am looking at several models and all have the white dial with gold hands. Of course the gold hands match the y/g case. Model # 5110, 5146 and the 5130 World Time model. The 5130 is available in r/g.

8. gdl203

AP ROOS in rose gold
    Gaudy!

9. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I think Rose Gold works especially well with high-end dress watches. White Gold is nice as well but not as good as Rose Gold. I hate Yellow Gold.

10. gdl203

I am looking at several models and all have the white dial with gold hands. Of course the gold hands match the y/g case. Model # 5110, 5146 and the 5130 World Time model. The 5130 is available in r/g.

IMO: 5110 and 5130 are most beautiful in PT, 5146 in WG

11. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

At the risk of offending the OP, this seems like an odd question. You're ready to throw down major ducats on a PP (what, $10K at a minimum?), but you want other people's opinions on what color it should be?

12. Coho

Coho Senior member

rose gold is my favorite by it matches with nothing. I still like yellow gold, when done right, it's the best color for a gold watch. Rolex does a good job with yellow gold.

13. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gaudy!

that's how I roll.

14. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior member

I have picked out the Patek I want to purchase but am wondering what the preference is on metal color. White Gold, Yellow Gold or Rose Gold. In speaking to the Patek saleman, he indicated that White Gold is the most popular, but that may be because that is what he has in stock. Any advice will be appreciated.

None. Get the Nautilus in steel.[​IMG]

15. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

At the risk of offending the OP, this seems like an odd question. You're ready to throw down major ducats on a PP (what, $10K at a minimum?), but you want other people's opinions on what color it should be?

A 5146 is going to be $22k at a minimum..
    I always say "The 1st rule of watch buying is buy the watch YOU like"
    The 2nd rule is remember rule #1

16. raphael

raphael Senior member

It depends on how old you are. If you're under 40 (male), you shouldn't be wearing any gold at all. White gold is great because it is minimized, platinum is even better (more durable). The riff raff won't know you're wearing a gold watch but they will know it's a PP.

I prefer yellow gold but it all depends on the dial color and shape of the watch.

17. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

It depends on how old you are. If you're under 40 (male), you shouldn't be wearing any gold at all. White gold is great because it is minimized, platinum is even better (more durable). The riff raff won't know you're wearing a gold watch but they will know it's a PP. I prefer yellow gold but it all depends on the dial color and shape of the watch.
    The "riff raff" won't recognize most any watch on a strap. and probably never heard of PP. Now a gold Rolex yea they'll notice

18. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Rose gold with a blue or black face is stunning.

What he said.

19. Mute

Mute Senior member

Platinum, rose gold or white gold. In that order. Never been a huge fan of yellow gold.

20. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

It depends on how old you are. If you're under 40 (male), you shouldn't be wearing any gold at all.
    I did not know that.[​IMG]