• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geronimo

Reaction score
I am often reading the excellent material here but never post. I hope some of you can help me. I want to buy a Patek watch. I am not a rich man and this will be a purchase for a lifetime. I do not know what to choose, old or new? I have looked at the calteva collection from Patek, is that good? Please help me, thank you.

Geronimo

Reaction score
The most important thing to consider given your finances, is how much is the maximum you want to spend? After the price limit is established can the selection of the watch commence.

Jon.
Hello Jon.My budget is limited to about 10,000 Euro. Your help is appreciated. Also if you have good sources, books, websites where I can learn more.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A "grey market" Patek Calatrava would be a good choice. Â They are a classic that will last a lifetime if cared for. Â My first "nice" watch was a Calatrava. Â They are the epitome of understated, classic elegance. There are many purveyers of Pateks at discount prices. Here is one company I have purchased watches from in the past: http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/patek1.html Perhaps you can get an even better deal in Europe (although you might have to pay that big VAT, so it would probably offset the discount.)

nova

Reaction score
My favourite "understatement" watch:

Calatrava
5022 P
Manually wound movement.
Small second hand.
Water resistant to 25m.
White gold or platinum.

Let me know if you need any particular information - I am based in Zurich, Switzerland.

kalra2411

Reaction score
With Patek you will always get the quality, but in my opinion the only ones, which look even slightly refined and elegant are the Complicated Timepieces and Calatrava range.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A "grey market" Patek Calatrava would be a good choice. They are a classic that will last a lifetime if cared for. My first "nice" watch was a Calatrava. They are the epitome of understated, classic elegance. There are many purveyers of Pateks at discount prices. Here is one company I have purchased watches from in the past: http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/patek1.html Perhaps you can get an even better deal in Europe (although you might have to pay that big VAT, so it would probably offset the discount.)
Gray market is a completely different ball of wax altogether. My next question for Geronimo is: what kind of watch were you envisioning a steel sport-dress watch or a gold dress watch? Or perhaps something in between? Jon.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Patek you will always get the quality, but in my opinion the only ones, which look even slightly refined and elegant are the Complicated Timepieces and Calatrava range.
I'll have to second that. Patek are not exactly tops in the style department. I'd much rather prefer a Cartier or Vacheron.

kalra2411

Reaction score
(kalra2411 @ 19 July 2004, 12:13) With Patek you will always get the quality, but in my opinion the only ones, which look even slightly refined and elegant are the Complicated Timepieces and Calatrava range.
I'll have to second that. Patek are not exactly tops in the style department. I'd much rather prefer a Cartier or Vacheron.
Good man, now view the Louis Vuitton and Prada thread, and try telling ImageWIS or ernest that.
wink.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not under any condition turning this into another "˜Leather' thread, suffice to say aesthetics are subjective and vary on a person-by-person basis. You might love the particular aesthetics of a particular item, whilst another person completely dislikes it and vice versa.

As well Geronimo asked about Patek, thus I was answering his question(s). When I post a question(s) on the forum I hope responses regarding the particular question(s) (whatever the subject may be), thus I was retuning in kind. Hopefully everybody else to acts in a similar fashion (with the understanding that even though threads sometimes wane towards another subject, the original questions of the member have been answered towards the closes possible satisfaction of the member).

Jon.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a Boston-based dealer, who sells both new & used Pateks, as well as IWC, Blancpain, Vacheron, etc., etc. Some fairly good photos to look at to start to get an idea of what's out there. The stock seems to change fairly often. Personally, I'd probably go with a really nice Blancpain if I had your budget to work with (wish I did&#33
wink.gif
, as opposed to Patek which I think you're paying a premium on for the name. However, unlike some here, I am by no means a professed watch expert and am merely expressing my amateurish preference. Good luck choosing. http://www.europeanwatch.com/

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a vintage one, you will have a less common Patek and you will save 50% and do not lose if you want to sell it.

If you are gay, better take a Cartier in yellow gold with the more diamonds as possible...

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a Boston-based dealer, who sells both new & used Pateks, as well as IWC, Blancpain, Vacheron, etc., etc. Some fairly good photos to look at to start to get an idea of what's out there. The stock seems to change fairly often. Personally, I'd probably go with a really nice Blancpain if I had your budget to work with (wish I did&#33
wink.gif
, as opposed to Patek which I think you're paying a premium on for the name. However, unlike some here, I am by no means a professed watch expert and am merely expressing my amateurish preference. Good luck choosing. http://www.europeanwatch.com/
The Patek "Travel Time" on that European Watch web page is the Patek model that I own. It is simple, elegant, and great for folks like me who travel a lot and like to keep track of time in two time zones. At $8,900 you would still have money left over to do something else with.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wink.gif
When it comes to EuropeanWatch: buyer beware. And don't just take it from me, check out Timezone.com. Jon.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are gay, better take a Cartier in yellow gold with the more diamonds as possible...
I see you are out there trying your darnedest to make new friends Ernest. With your tenuous grasp of the English language it seems you'd do better to keep a lower profile, n'est-ce pas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads