• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek Philippe

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was given a vintage mechanical winding Patek Philippe watch today from a family friend as a gift... In the back it says apparently it was a gift to Andres Martinez Trueba (a past president of Uraguay) in 1946 I dont know if this is a fake but it doesnt seem like one but I really woudlnt know. There is no serial number on it though but maybe its supposed to be inside the case.... It says Patek Philippe Co on the watch.. No "swiss made"..the watch is really old though.. Geneva Im thinking of sending it to Patek Phillipe..
dscn0892wd3.jpg
dscn0897rc7.jpg
dscn0898be6.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't you post a picture?

Uruguay was a huge market for Patek Philippe watches during the '20s through the '50s.

Serial numbers are always inside the case, on the movement. Also, the back of the case should also have some reference numbers and the gold content.

That sounds like a nice gift, especially from a friend.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds nice. A watch maker can take the caseback off and have a look at the movement. Don't try it yourself, though - you need a special tool.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of those old dress watches have a snap-off case back which only requires a slim pocket-knife--or knife-like watch opener--to open.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Most of those old dress watches have a snap-off case back which only requires a slim pocket-knife--or knife-like watch opener--to open.

True. Also, if it's from 1946 and not a military watch, it's almost certainly a rectangular case, which means that it is a snap-on back. They pop open in a second with very little pressure. However, I avoid using knives because of the sharp end; instead, I use a tiny screw dirver with slightly rounded corners (I'm just playing it safe).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
True. Also, if it's from 1946 and not a military watch, it's almost certainly a rectangular case, which means that it is a snap-on back. They pop open in a second with very little pressure. However, I avoid using knives because of the sharp end; instead, I use a tiny screw dirver with slightly rounded corners (I'm just playing it safe).

It also might be a round case, like this 1946 one:

619.jpg

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

It is a rectangular watch and it has a snap off type of case

I dont knwo if the watch was made in 1946 though. However, the president or whoever got recieved it on that date I think according to the engraving.

As for the back...

There is no reference number or gold content that I could see. The whole thing was engraved though with the date and name of who it was given to. Yea its a nice watch. Manual wind up. It needs to be cleaned though. The face of theh watch underneath the glass case is dirty but I like it.

As for a picture...
Ill try to post one up tommorow (i dont own a digital camera and my sis is asleep)

16520Man

Reaction score
There are some of us Patek guys on this forum who will definitely help. For some truly focused scrutiny, post your pics at the PP forum at timezone.com.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know anything about PP watches, but I just can't really imagine that someone making a fake would go to the trouble of making it appear to be a gift of some former President of Uruguay. So, I'd venture to guesss it's probably genuine.

If you were going to fake a watch and claim it had been a gift to some South American head of state, wouldn't you pick someone like Che Guevera, Juan Peron or Manuel Noriega so that it would generate more interest from potential buyers?

Sounds like a pretty nice gift. I'd probably treasure it if I were you.

William Massena

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I don't know anything about PP watches, but I just can't really imagine that someone making a fake would go to the trouble of making it appear to be a gift of some former President of Uruguay. So, I'd venture to guesss it's probably genuine.

Like you, I know nothing about Patek watches, but I have a feeling that creating some kind of history, if not some provenance from some long forgotten president could be appealing to a non watch expert who could be attracted to a watch which most probably (if it is a fake) looks ordinary or mundane. Do people who make fake go into the trouble to create provenance? YES, because people who know sh*t about Patek but still have an opinion would think they would not go to the trouble.

W.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by William Massena
Like you, I know nothing about Patek watches, but I have a feeling that creating some kind of history, if not some provenance from some long forgotten president could be appealing to a non watch expert who could be attracted to a watch which most probably (if it is a fake) looks ordinary or mundane. Do people who make fake go into the trouble to create provenance? YES, because people who know sh*t about Patek but still have an opinion would think they would not go to the trouble.

W.

Awfully gentlemanly response of you, very timezone-ish.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

No kidding.

William Massena

Reaction score

You are right, let me rephrase it;

YES, because people who know **** about Patek but still have an opinion would think they would not go into the trouble.

W.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
William -

I'd respond to your commentary, but I'm awfully busy today. I'm helping the son of a former Nigerian general to transfer approxmately $15 million in funds currently abandoned in a bank account in the Netherlands. I didn't recognize his name either, but I'm sure its legit.

Bradford

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One should expect nothing less from this dilettante.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads