• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patch Ticket Pocket On Tweed Jacket

pejsek

Reaction score
If you haven't guessed by now, I'm doing my best to make good use of my borrowed digital camera. I'm not sure we've had a good ticket pocket thread lately, but it is one of the chestnuts of the genre. Here's an old Henry Poole jacket (exactly how old I'm not sure--the name and date have long been lost to the dry cleaner, but I can make out several numbers on Savile Row so this would have to be before the forced move to Cork Street; my guess would be maybe 1950s). This is the only example of a patch ticket I've ever seen. I think it's quite nice.
img0889ob7.jpg

The tweed is a sort of heathery green/blue/grey woven in a way that creates the small diamond pattern you see. One big reason the patch ticket pocket succeeds, I think, is because the pattern matching works to set the pocket gently into the jacket. It's a subtle effect and one I would think well worth emulating. Of course the pockets themselves are also very nicely cut with just a hint of a crescent. It's very practical too (though you can really only keep s.think like an actual ticket or a bus pass in it; too much makes it bulge which isn't attractive). What do you all think, Yea or Nay? A bit more of a close-up:
img0890qb5.jpg

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That's a highly unusual feature. It may have been specially requested by the client. It doesn't look too bad, but I wouldn't do it myself.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive seen an episode of i love lucy with ricky ricardo having the same feature.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will sometimes see this detail on Barbera suits and jackets, but the patch/ticket pocket is mostly tucked into the main patch pocket, so only the top 1/3rd is visible.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
aren't they some times call coin pockets??? i might be wrong (would not be the first time) but i remeber some1 somewhere refering it as a coin pocket - maybe manton will be better versed in confirming this!

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is an example of what I was talking about:

barberaticket.JPG

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That definitely looks better to me, A Harris. It also means the pocket can be deep and not sacrifice aesthetics.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I like patch pockets...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In the old illustrations, you see this occasionally on topcoats (of all things) and more rarely on odd jackets. I wonder to what extent it caught on. It just looks odd and too busy to me.

pejsek

Reaction score
Well, that's interesting, A. Harris. I've never seen anything like that. Is the picture accurate in showing the pocket on the left side? It looks like a bit of an eccentric custom detail, but I sort of like it. Is that a recent Barbera? Those pockets do look rather deep.
I think this sort of pocket in a pocket could look great on a topcoat.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last spring I saw a linen sport coat in a shop window with the usual three patch pockets and a jetted ticket pocket. A little eccentric, but sort of a nice touch. Paul Stuart, maybe?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, that's interesting, A. Harris. I've never seen anything like that. Is the picture accurate in showing the pocket on the left side? It looks like a bit of an eccentric custom detail, but I sort of like it. Is that a recent Barbera? Those pockets do look rather deep.
Yes, it is on the left side. And you are right about it being a custom detail as I have that exact Barbera jacket (actuall part of a suit) in my wardrobe, except without the extra pocket. The jacket is about 1.5-2yrs old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads