Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Patch Ticket Pocket On Tweed Jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pejsek, Sep 28, 2006.

1. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm doing my best to make good use of my borrowed digital camera. I'm not sure we've had a good ticket pocket thread lately, but it is one of the chestnuts of the genre. Here's an old Henry Poole jacket (exactly how old I'm not sure--the name and date have long been lost to the dry cleaner, but I can make out several numbers on Savile Row so this would have to be before the forced move to Cork Street; my guess would be maybe 1950s). This is the only example of a patch ticket I've ever seen. I think it's quite nice.
    [​IMG]

The tweed is a sort of heathery green/blue/grey woven in a way that creates the small diamond pattern you see. One big reason the patch ticket pocket succeeds, I think, is because the pattern matching works to set the pocket gently into the jacket. It's a subtle effect and one I would think well worth emulating. Of course the pockets themselves are also very nicely cut with just a hint of a crescent. It's very practical too (though you can really only keep s.think like an actual ticket or a bus pass in it; too much makes it bulge which isn't attractive). What do you all think, Yea or Nay? A bit more of a close-up:
    [​IMG]

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

That's a highly unusual feature. It may have been specially requested by the client. It doesn't look too bad, but I wouldn't do it myself.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

It would have to be a very stubby ticket ...

4. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

ive seen an episode of i love lucy with ricky ricardo having the same feature.

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

You will sometimes see this detail on Barbera suits and jackets, but the patch/ticket pocket is mostly tucked into the main patch pocket, so only the top 1/3rd is visible.

6. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

aren't they some times call coin pockets??? i might be wrong (would not be the first time) but i remeber some1 somewhere refering it as a coin pocket - maybe manton will be better versed in confirming this!

7. A Harris

Here is an example of what I was talking about:

[​IMG]

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

That definitely looks better to me, A Harris. It also means the pocket can be deep and not sacrifice aesthetics.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I like patch pockets...

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

In the old illustrations, you see this occasionally on topcoats (of all things) and more rarely on odd jackets. I wonder to what extent it caught on. It just looks odd and too busy to me.

10. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Well, that's interesting, A. Harris. I've never seen anything like that. Is the picture accurate in showing the pocket on the left side? It looks like a bit of an eccentric custom detail, but I sort of like it. Is that a recent Barbera? Those pockets do look rather deep.
    I think this sort of pocket in a pocket could look great on a topcoat.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last spring I saw a linen sport coat in a shop window with the usual three patch pockets and a jetted ticket pocket. A little eccentric, but sort of a nice touch. Paul Stuart, maybe?

12. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It's an interesting option, but I doubt I would ever go for it.

13. A Harris

Yes, it is on the left side. And you are right about it being a custom detail as I have that exact Barbera jacket (actuall part of a suit) in my wardrobe, except without the extra pocket. The jacket is about 1.5-2yrs old.