• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patch pocket size

tpap

Reaction score
Is there a standard size for patch pockets on sportcoats?

I'm getting a bespoke sportcoat made (blue Irish 14oz linen, quarter lined, welted breast pocket) and the tailor tried some paper pocket mockups during the fitting. I wanted them bigger but the tailor said they would look awful / out of balance. It's really hard to tell without seeing the end result. He also mentioned that the pockets should narrow at their opening.

The height of the side vents is 9.5 inches and the opening of the patch pockets will be in line with the vent's opening.

1) How far should the bottom of the pockets be from the bottom of the coat?
2) How wide should the pockets be?
3) What is the purpose of the narrowing in the pocket's opening?

Looking forward to your feedback.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What size is your jacket? Maybe someone can measure a similar sized jacket and compare.

AQG

Reaction score
It sounds like a case where I'd take my tailor's advice and not micro-manage the process. I did when I ordered my patch pocket suit.

The slight narrowing of the pockets at the top might be like the old Greek architectural trick of narrowing temples as they rose. The observer would, due to optical illusion, think they were perfectly vertical, whereas if they actually were, the building would appear to bulge at the top.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AQG
It sounds like a case where I'd take my tailor's advice and not micro-manage the process. I did when I ordered my patch pocket suit.

The slight narrowing of the pockets at the top might be like the old Greek architectural trick of narrowing temples as they rose. The observer would, due to optical illusion, think they were perfectly vertical, whereas if they actually were, the building would appear to bulge at the top.

That's my understanding. They should narrow slightly, almost imperceptibly. I too would probably take the tailor's advice on size, since it does sound like he knows what he's doing. The the patch-pocket blazer I'm wearing today, the pockets are maybe a hair more than an inch from the bottom.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I for one want the narrowing to be perceptible. I also don't want the patches to symetrical. The outer edge should end a little higher than the inner, and should also curve in a little more sharply toward the top.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I for one want the narrowing to be perceptible. I also don't want the patches to symetrical. The outer edge should end a little higher than the inner, and should also curve in a little more sharply toward the top.

Why?

EDIT: Manton is correct, as usual. Here's mine:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Why?

It just looks nicer to me. Same reason why a straight, parallel the floor breast pocket looks bad, but one angled looks good. Curved is even better. Gives a slight impression of height and forward motion. Or something.

tpap

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Unfortunately, this would be too avant-garde for my tailor... I think it takes a great eye and skill to make this work. I've seen it on an Italian bespoke coat and I thought it looked nice but a bit more informal than the symmetrical patches. Does any house use this style by default?

... The the patch-pocket blazer I'm wearing today, the pockets are maybe a hair more than an inch from the bottom.

Did you have your coat shortened? This sounds a bit too close to the bottom but then again what do I know... I like 1.5"-2" but I don't know if this is the standard distance or my preference only.
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
See the pic. I didn't, but I got it used, so anything could have happened, I supposed.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mine all vary from 3.5 to 4.5 cm from the bottom. Here is a pic of the shape. Some are less shaped, some are a touch more. I would also say that patch pockets should always be combined with double stitching.
owie002largeoy6.jpg

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has any1 ever asked, on the street to measure, some1's pockets ? Yesterday it occured to, me but I worried over, the reception.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why?

EDIT: Manton is correct, as usual. Here's mine:

thats the traditional patch pocket. the classic shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads