• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Passus shoes - Fine Shoes from Budapest - Official Affiliate Thread

Passus Shoes

Reaction score
how dark is the navy color? Bottom one seems a bit light while the top one and the photos at the site are quite dark navy

It is quite dark, not midnight but more like a classic navy. The second photo was taken at strong sunlight, that's why it looks brighter.

Our product shots represent the dark blue color the best.

PassusShoesHenryIBoxCalfOxfordShoesLast2000.01_720x.jpg

PassusShoesAnthonyBoxCalfLoaferLast2000.01_720x.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dark navy really changing a lot based on lighting my AM one is obvious navy under sunlight but indoor it’s kind black

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased the Tom in the 2000 last? I wonder if the top line fit is better on this derby model.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased the Tom in the 2000 last? I wonder if the top line fit is better on this derby model.
I have that exact same model! (As you may see from just now in the OT thread.) I wore them three times, I think, to start breaking them in, but now I'm holding off till the tongue pads I ordered arrive, because on this model I think I'm perilously close to having the facings actually overlap, which I think would look awful.

They do have a bit of an unusual fit on me, one I've only encountered in a couple other pair (the Scotts by Yeossal, which I think was on YR8?, and the Celeste by Fukuda). By that I mean, they fit me very close on the top of the toe box, so much so that on the first wear I experienced pain from the toe stiffener pressing on my foot, and then they have this sort of gaping top line but don't seem particularly voluminous in the midfoot or heel. Here's a couple pics:

photo_2020-08-06_02-10-54.jpg
photo_2020-08-06_02-11-00.jpg

Though you can see a little space in the heel there too, I don't think they're really too terribly long, in the foot. Long in the 'long heel' measurement? Maybe. I asked Rezso if the design of these is for the facings to completely close, for aesthetic purposes, and he said yes. I wish I'd known that coming in, because I like to be able to pull on the facings with a derby and get a nice snug fit there. If these facings had even one centimeter of gap for me to play with, I think they would now fit great.

I don't think I ever shared much of a review of the purchase. I know it's the early days for Passus, and it's exciting to be among the first customers, so some of this I think is just part and parcel of getting systems in place, but there were a couple hiccups. One is that they came without trees. Rezso told me that they ran out of trees in my size and that the person who filled my order didn't let him know. He has promised to send them to me once he has stock. Two is not really a hiccup, but I was not at all impressed with those bags! I'd honestly have rather they not sent bags at all, as I can't do anything to remove the impression those made. A couple other minor things not worth a mention, but the last one did trouble me just a bit. Right out of the box, the first thing I see is this:

IMG_20200702_193331.jpg

I'm not sure if the picture adequately captures how much that stood out in real life. I'm guessing that is edge dressing paint that is smeared on the upper. Now, here's how I look at that. Either it's the kind of thing that should not pass through quality control, and they shouldn't have been sent to me in that condition, or it's no big deal and I should be able to easily fix it. But if it's the latter, wouldn't it have been better if they had gone ahead and fixed it for me? (And also, I guess I thought that higher end makers would mask the leather when applying the edge paint. But I don't really have a clue, other than occasionally seeing masking tape used for some purpose or another.)

Rezso asked if I had some product to try to remove it, and I did and do, but I'm no pro at using that stuff. It's fun to wipe the renovateur all over a shoe and then brush it off a while later and, voila, shiny shoes! But I've never tried to remove something like that before. I manged to get most of it off, but in the process I have turned the whole area dull. Hatch grain is new to me, so I guess I need to read up on the best way to care for it. Or I'm sure I can take them to a shop and with a shine you'll never know the smudge was ever there.

One last thing, and again, I don't know if it will come across in this pic:

IMG_20200702_193703.jpg

Straight out of the box there was a section or two that just seemed rough and dry, like something had been there once but had been rubbed off. Being new to hatch, maybe this kind of thing is normal and I just don't know it. But I was also kinda surprised to see that right out of the box. For what it's worth, I can't find anything similar on the Oct Tenth hatch that just arrived today.

Hope that helps a bit! Thanks for the chance to finally catch up on the review that I'd been meaning to share. I do love the design of the Tom, and I'm very hopeful that they will fit well enough with a tongue pad to make it into the regular rotation.

gte872h

Reaction score
I have that exact same model! (As you may see from just now in the OT thread.) I wore them three times, I think, to start breaking them in, but now I'm holding off till the tongue pads I ordered arrive, because on this model I think I'm perilously close to having the facings actually overlap, which I think would look awful.

They do have a bit of an unusual fit on me, one I've only encountered in a couple other pair (the Scotts by Yeossal, which I think was on YR8?, and the Celeste by Fukuda). By that I mean, they fit me very close on the top of the toe box, so much so that on the first wear I experienced pain from the toe stiffener pressing on my foot, and then they have this sort of gaping top line but don't seem particularly voluminous in the midfoot or heel. Here's a couple pics:

View attachment 1436496 View attachment 1436497

Though you can see a little space in the heel there too, I don't think they're really too terribly long, in the foot. Long in the 'long heel' measurement? Maybe. I asked Rezso if the design of these is for the facings to completely close, for aesthetic purposes, and he said yes. I wish I'd known that coming in, because I like to be able to pull on the facings with a derby and get a nice snug fit there. If these facings had even one centimeter of gap for me to play with, I think they would now fit great.

I don't think I ever shared much of a review of the purchase. I know it's the early days for Passus, and it's exciting to be among the first customers, so some of this I think is just part and parcel of getting systems in place, but there were a couple hiccups. One is that they came without trees. Rezso told me that they ran out of trees in my size and that the person who filled my order didn't let him know. He has promised to send them to me once he has stock. Two is not really a hiccup, but I was not at all impressed with those bags! I'd honestly have rather they not sent bags at all, as I can't do anything to remove the impression those made. A couple other minor things not worth a mention, but the last one did trouble me just a bit. Right out of the box, the first thing I see is this:

View attachment 1436505

I'm not sure if the picture adequately captures how much that stood out in real life. I'm guessing that is edge dressing paint that is smeared on the upper. Now, here's how I look at that. Either it's the kind of thing that should not pass through quality control, and they shouldn't have been sent to me in that condition, or it's no big deal and I should be able to easily fix it. But if it's the latter, wouldn't it have been better if they had gone ahead and fixed it for me? (And also, I guess I thought that higher end makers would mask the leather when applying the edge paint. But I don't really have a clue, other than occasionally seeing masking tape used for some purpose or another.)

Rezso asked if I had some product to try to remove it, and I did and do, but I'm no pro at using that stuff. It's fun to wipe the renovateur all over a shoe and then brush it off a while later and, voila, shiny shoes! But I've never tried to remove something like that before. I manged to get most of it off, but in the process I have turned the whole area dull. Hatch grain is new to me, so I guess I need to read up on the best way to care for it. Or I'm sure I can take them to a shop and with a shine you'll never know the smudge was ever there.

View attachment 1436509

Straight out of the box there was a section or two that just seemed rough and dry, like something had been there once but had been rubbed off. Being new to hatch, maybe this kind of thing is normal and I just don't know it. But I was also kinda surprised to see that right out of the box. For what it's worth, I can't find anything similar on the Oct Tenth hatch that just arrived today.

Hope that helps a bit! Thanks for the chance to finally catch up on the review that I'd been meaning to share. I do love the design of the Tom, and I'm very hopeful that they will fit well enough with a tongue pad to make it into the regular rotation.

Thanks for the in-depth review. Unfortunately it looks like quite a bit of gaping in the pics. I’d be interested in hearing and seeing if and how the tongue pads improve the fit.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1436505

View attachment 1436509

Thank you for sharing that with us. Definitely seems to be part of the growing pains with a new company, BUT still these things must be acknowledged and addressed!

Whilst I have faith Rezso, who is fantastic to deal with, probably will take note and use this constructively, these sorts of things should not happen with any frequency.

With that grain, as mentioned in the other thread, you can "restore" the fats and bring them back to life with wax. However, you should not have been required to do so. That should have been corrected (possibly delayed shipment) so you could have received the best possible shoe you could have.

Again, I am sure (in my dealings with Reszo) they will improve moving forward, but these sorts of issues must be discussed and brought to light. This will ensure improvement, and stricter quality control.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1436505

View attachment 1436509

Yup, that's the same exact fit issue I have with my pair. I asked one of the artisans on SF for an opinion, based on a limited virtual inspect, and was told that likely the long heel measurement and possibly instep girth are too large. So my take away is that the 2000 last (and probably other Passus lasts) don't work on our feet.

However the picture with the blemish is a bit shocking since you can see that the finishing on the sole looks a bit funky....

Passus Shoes

Reaction score
@acapaca Thank you for the honest and thorough review. These issues are valid and shouldn't have happened. After our initial correspondence a few weeks ago, we have already addressed the aforementioned with our team and we work very hard, so they will not happen, again.

About quality control: This shouldn't have happened and we addressed the issues to our finisher too. You shouldn't have been the one to clean off the blemishes. Also, I can see that the sole painting is a 'bit funky'.

Please update us on the fit with the pads as we appreciate any feedback. This helps us to improve the fit of our 2000 last.
Also, shoe bags will change to be more in line with the quality of our shoes.

About the shoetrees: unfortunately, due to COVID, many suppliers had issues with restocking. As promised, we will send you a pair, very soon.

Thanks for supporting our company at the beginning of our journey!

Last edited:

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update, as the pads from Skolyx came today. Putting one pad in feels better across the instep, yes, but doesn't seem to do a whole lot about the top line:

photo_2020-08-06_20-35-05.jpg
photo_2020-08-06_20-34-55.jpg

Putting two pads in -- and sliding them up, since they are tapered at the end, for maximum effect -- absolutely fixes the facings issue, as I couldn't crank them closed if I wanted to, but still too much around the top line for an ideal fit:

photo_2020-08-06_20-37-33.jpg
photo_2020-08-06_20-37-28.jpg

@deez shoes, maybe that 'long heel' measurement really is the issue after all.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update, as the pads from Skolyx came today. Putting one pad in feels better across the instep, yes, but doesn't seem to do a whole lot about the top line:

View attachment 1436837 View attachment 1436838

Putting two pads in -- and sliding them up, since they are tapered at the end, for maximum effect -- absolutely fixes the facings issue, as I couldn't crank them closed if I wanted to, but still too much around the top line for an ideal fit:

View attachment 1436839 View attachment 1436840

Nice. The pads did improve the lacing but I don't think there's anything that will improve the top line. Maybe thicker socks?

I found this diagram that displays where a long heel measurement is taken:

b29c0b46f1c9c5a421cac90b6f0cfea7.png

It makes sense when you consider what it implies.

Nevertheless, it's awesome that Passus is going to take care of the QC issues. That's great customer service right there. ?

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

View attachment 1436837 View attachment 1436838

View attachment 1436839 View attachment 1436840

I am glad to see that the pads finally arrived and they are working! Really great! Anyway, I am / we are really sorry that the heel part of the shoe isn't the best for you. During the last six months, we sold quite a few pairs of shoes, finished on our 2000 last. So far we have received a lot of positive feedback, but unfortunately, this is the limitation of RTW shoes: they will not fit all shapes of feet. Reviews, like yours, give us new ideas on how we can develop the 2000 last, we can start to think about a modified last which will have a narrower heel box. We can call it last 2100 or something like that. Also, we'll sit down with our designer and we'll re-think/re-design the lacing part of model Tom. We need to improve that to avoid such problems as yours. Despite, that we spent so many years in the shoe business we still need to learn :) And finally, I can assure you that the QC will be much better, to avoid problems like that.
Reading your comments and posts here on Styleforum always matter a lot to us, we learn a lot ...

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Rezso! In the end, if they are snug enough at the lacings, the looseness in the top line isn't going to bother me. I imagine I'll only notice it if I look right down at them while standing, which I won't have reason to do apart from reviews and discussions like this. And it's not the only pair that does this for me, so as you say, it's evidently just a quirk of my own feet that will happen for me in certain shoes.

I do really enjoy wearing them. I like that they have a relatively unique look among the 'same old same old' in my wardrobe, and I love that they have all the hands-on craftsmanship that you have detailed in this thread. It's very cool to be able to kinda picture a real live person hammering those pegs and painting those soles. Thanks very much for all your help, and I look forward to touching base with you again about the trees. See you in your town someday, I hope!

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rezso,
It is very nice to see your level of customer service. Great shoes + excellent customer service = success
Thank you, but far too kind. I am trying to do my best :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads