• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Passus shoes - Fine Shoes from Budapest - Official Affiliate Thread

LThomsen

Reaction score
First off, let me begin my saying Rezso is an absolute pleasure to work with. We went through all the details, and he kept me updated throughout the whole process. Which I really appreciate as mostly every other brand or business keeps you in the dark. This kind of service can not be applauded enough.

Onto the impressions.
View attachment 1417545

The shoe box is very impressive. Thick and sturdy with a solid feel. Think EG shoe box, but a slicker hand feel.

View attachment 1417546
The shoe bags less impressive. I was expecting some sort of nylon type material, like Vass does. These are thinner and more basic. Honestly though, if you base your purchase decision on bags a reassessment may be necessary. In any case, thought I would mention it for inquiring minds.

View attachment 1417547
Shoe trees are standard block, so not hollowed or lasted. They fit the shoes really well so no real reason to upgrade them for lasted ones, especially since these were included in the price.

Rezso often gets asked about Vass F last comparisons. He recommends keeping the same size, and I would agree with that.

Considering the similarity is sizing, I figured it was only fitting to snap a few photos alongside the F-Last.

Fortunately, I had a Vass shoe with a double sole to make it a more appropriate & truer comparison.

View attachment 1417551
The Passus is really really similar to the F last. The differences are a better fit around the waist. In my case, it is tight but I appreciate that. The heel fits about the same as the Vass.

View attachment 1417548
I would say the 1000 last (the last my shoe is based on) provides better width across the toes. You can see where the F tapers more on the toebox. Thus, those who find the F last restrictive in the toe box will enjoy the extra wiggle room here.
Instep is about the same, with the 1000 last possibly providing a mm or so of extra clearance.

View attachment 1417550

The heel block is higher on the F last and heel tapers more. I prefer this about the Vass over the Passus. Saying that, both heels feel the same on the foot, as mentioned earlier.

The overall feel is similar to Vass, but structurally (meaning support) is like StC. Interestingly enough, the weight of the shoe is similar to StC, so considerably ligther than Vass. Consequently, you get the extra support without the weight. Nice job!

View attachment 1417559
The Sole is a topy from a German company. The pattern is different from what you typically find. Rezso tells me it is highly durable. The nail configuration you see on the heel was supposed to be the same on the toe tip. Passus dropped the ball here. Obviously, no effect on the shoe itself nor is it visible, but missed detail.

View attachment 1417560
The toe caps are straight which is a plus, but as you can see here the stitching is not perfect. On the left shoe, the stitch line almost comes together. Again, not a big deal and to be expected when you have bigger workshops to have these things happen.

There was a similar stitch issue on the back heel, but it feels superfluous to demonstrate with pictures a miniscule error.

As it pertains to finishing. I'll revert back to the Vass comparison.
View attachment 1417552 View attachment 1417549

As you can see, the Passus shoe is better finished. The waist is more beveled. The toe more refined, although from the overhead shot the Vass toe looks more tapered. From this side view, you can clearly see the Passus shoe has more "shape" to the toe. The dbl sole to single sole is performed cleaner on the Passus.

As mentioned, I prefer the heel and heel block on the Vass shoe. Saying that for the purposes of a casual shoe, the Passus heel works for me.

The welts are nicely executed and clean.
View attachment 1417592 View attachment 1417591

In terms of customer service, Passus, generally, and Rezso, specifically, are leaps and bounds over most brands. You ask for something, they try their best to accommodate you. Hard to find an equal in this category. Easily the Gold standard.

I would say I am extremely pleased with my purchase. Other than a little nit picking here and there, just about a perfect experience.

If you want a shoe that's slightly better than Vass, but slightly lower priced than StC...This would be it. Think of it as Vass+ w/StC engineering but Bespoke Cutomer Service ?.
Thank you for sharing your experience and review

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
After much anticipation our first loafer model, Anthony, finally arrived. Finished on our sleek and elegant last 2000. It is surely an eyecatcher. How do you like it?

LOAFER 01.jpeg

LOAFER.jpeg

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here we are again with another chapter in our small virtual workshop tour. You'll see on the following pictures how we finish the sole and the heel. Part two. After painting the edges of the sole, we are using an old tool. It is like iron. Of course, it is warm. With this iron, we are finishing the edge of the sole. Everything made by hand.

CLS_02.jpg

CLS_01.jpg

CLS_03.jpg

CLS_04.jpg

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Last week we premiered the sleek and elegant loafer, Anthony. At the same time, we finished another new model, which we call: Jonathan. Debuting on the informal 3000 last, our first split toe derby is Goyser welted with Vibram Eton rubber sole or double JR sole. A casual shoe for everyday use, crafted with the same meticulous handwork which is the signature of Passus shoes.

Jonathan 2020-07-06 at 17.00.22.jpeg

Jonathan 2 2020-07-04 at 12.13.34.jpeg

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week we premiered the sleek and elegant loafer, Anthony. At the same time, we finished another new model, which we call: Jonathan. Debuting on the informal 3000 last, our first split toe derby is Goyser welted with Vibram Eton rubber sole or double JR sole. A casual shoe for everyday use, crafted with the same meticulous handwork which is the signature of Passus shoes.

This is really interesting. Is the construction of this model with the rubber sole still the same? I think this is a nice compliment to your more shapely/ dress shoe lasts.

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is really interesting. Is the construction of this model with the rubber sole still the same? I think this is a nice compliment to your more shapely/ dress shoe lasts.
Yes, almost the same construction. The rubber sole is glued as you can see. That's the only difference. The rest is the same. Same technology, everything made by hand. We are using Vibram Eton rubber sole.

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This model is Goyser-sewn, that is why the rubber sole is cemented. In case if we are sewing the standard hand-sewn welt, then we can sew the rubber sole through.

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Today we premier here on Styleforum another new last, the 4000. Especially created for men with wider feet, it looks proportionate on our Jonathan, split toe derby model. What are your impressions about it?

Split toe 01.jpeg

Split toe 02.jpeg

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is it designed to be wider everywhere, or only in certain parts?
The toe box of the shoe is wider and the instep is a touch higher compared to our other shoes. Which part is important to you?

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me personally, it would really only be the width at the joints. The 2000 last now works mostly fine for me in this regard, after three wears, with some discomfort on the first day. I did still feel it a bit on the third wear, but it was more a sense of being pressed from above, if that makes sense, and not at all from the sides of the toes.

This is something I've generally been curious about, as I've not worn a 'wide' size by any maker, as far as I know, but I do imagine I could size down in length if I could keep room at the joints. Again, as I'm just generally curious, when you say there is extra width in the 'toe box', is that meant to include the 'treadline' as well, for the toe joints?

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For me personally, it would really only be the width at the joints. The 2000 last now works mostly fine for me in this regard, after three wears, with some discomfort on the first day. I did still feel it a bit on the third wear, but it was more a sense of being pressed from above, if that makes sense, and not at all from the sides of the toes.

This is something I've generally been curious about, as I've not worn a 'wide' size by any maker, as far as I know, but I do imagine I could size down in length if I could keep room at the joints. Again, as I'm just generally curious, when you say there is extra width in the 'toe box', is that meant to include the 'treadline' as well, for the toe joints?
Yes, there is more room at the toe box. It includes enough space for the toe joints. You can have a look at the shoe from above. You'll see clearly the extra space. It is much wider than our last 2000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads