1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Passover 2012

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by philosophe, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

We totally half-assed it and just ate chicken, potatoes and the ol' MB soup.

My uncle is Chabad-Lubavitch and he hasn't ever done lamb at the seder.

2. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Pressured by tradition to make brisket, but have expanded into more Sephardic recipes for veggies and sides.

Love the charoset recipe that started the thread. Not time to make for tonight but will definitely give it a try.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

For reasons I really can't explain, singing this song has been the end of Seder tradition in our family.
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Our lyrics vary slightly and some verses are different, as there are, apparently, many variations. From what I gather, it had its origins as a Negro folk tune. There are elements of divine retribution and class struggle, presumably related, which probably explain why it made it into our Seder. The black humor also makes it fun to sing when you are a bit tipsy. Does anyone else know it?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Pete Seeger version:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. ettebe

ettebe Senior member

One thing I like about Passover is getting some of the Kosher wine from California and Israel, which are 13-14%.

Nothing like sausages and matzo rolls for Passover. I'll stick with the whole no bread version of Passover, the rest of the rules go out the window.

What is funny, I was in Austin during SXSW and every grocery store had stuff out for Passover already. Plus they had a better kosher section than the grocery store, than the one near my house. I am stuck traveling into the city, which is a hassle.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

7. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I made a stew of fresh favas, spring onions, the first local asparagus of the season, and fiddleheads as a main course last night. Alas no morels here until next week. I did not miss the brisket, which I am sure will be served at the seder I attend this evening. Two seders, two dietary extremes.

8. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

That sounds amazing. I did chicken with tarragon and a carrot-white bean salad with dill.

9. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

My family have been drinking the same medium sweet for like, 30 years. I'd like to try something different. Recommendations?

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sounds delish.

11. ettebe

ettebe Senior member