Passover 2012

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by philosophe, Apr 3, 2012.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What kind of jew doesn't do a seder? I'm serious here - even the most secular I know find a way to get to a seder table for Passover. They're not going to eat matzah all week but I think a very small minority skips it altogether.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

2. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I've skipped it a bunch of times since I started living on my own, but a) I always feel a little guilty, and b) I was raised by a Cantor and had to keep kosher the entire week, so I've done some time at least.

3. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

I guess this question should go in the random question threak, but would a kosher chicken from TJ's work as a substitute for a traditional liquid brine? How long is the kosher brine? I need to grill a couple up today, but don't have the 4 hour window to brine them.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Matt's kind of Jew? I've taken to traveling on Xmas day (two of last three years) and sort of mentally had him in the same category as me when it comes to religious observances is all. I mean, as I just found out, apparently I arranged a happy hour on Good Friday. :blush:

5. Piobaire

Interesting question: grunchy granola type Jewish friend of mine is now trying to find out if quinoa is KFP. Her initial ruling is "no" as it swells like rice.

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I think Sephardics eat rice. My old passover buddy was Sephardic and she had rice and tapenade and all sorts of fun shit on her Seder plate.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't say what the effect on cooking would be, but they are totally different processes - the kosher process is dry salting followed by rinsing, rather than soaking in saltwater. That said, my wife thinks brining makes no sense with kosher meat. On the other hand, she hasn't tried it and I am not sure she would know.
    Here is a cut and paste on the kosher process if that helps:

9. Piobaire

Thanks, will pass this along to her right now.

10. dopey

Her initial ruling makes little sense. As Rambo's chabad link above says, some Ashkenazic Jews might consider it to fall in the category of kitniyot, which are grain-like things that Rabbi's have ruled out of bounds for a variety of reasons--a custom Sephardic Jews don't follow. If she eats kitniyot, then it is a non-issue and OK. If she doesn't, than she should check with whatever her local community practices or with a Rabb (I assume, because of her comment about rice, that she doesn't eat kitniyot. She should also be conscious of her guests' practices.
    We don't eat kitnoyot, but because my kids have celiac, they do eat rice and quinoa on Passover and make sure it is certified gluten-free, which takes care of the cross-contamination issue the chabad article worries about.

11. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Thanks, Dopey. A dry brine typically works just as well as a wet brine, but assuming the minimum, an hour isn't enough brine time.

12. dopey

Here is a link to a discussion on this very topic: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-444739.html
    I am not sure it is very definitive, though.

From Cook's Illustrated:
    and 2.

13. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

It looks like I will now be making a little Passover Seder for 3 tomorrow night. Trying to decide between roast chicken and roast lamb, but will probably do chicken because of time constraints.

14. dopey

Traditionally, you would NOT serve roast lamb at a Seder (in fact, not to eat anything truly roasted is a common custom). Some Sephardic communities do eat lamb, but not roasted (I think at a minimum, other liquids are added).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Oh, interesting. because it's for sacrifice? I just assumed we were raised with beef because it was the only thing my dad liked.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012