• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

passive forms of income

JAPAN

Reaction score
Living with parents.. that's the best.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some real estate in the historical centres of old, European cities seems quite stable, still. But its also never completely free of work of course. Maybe to live off the interest of a large reserve is best, cause then you could do fun things like buying apartments you wouldn't need to care for (simply leave them to rot!), or (also fun) open bank accounts at some obscure Swiss/Lichtenstein or Carribean, resp. Buenos Aires is cool-- banks and then nonchalently "forget" about them...then, after some years you'll get some notifications about your half forgotten accounts and will realize that you were much richer than you knew! (this also can be done with relatively small amounts of money, btw).

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Anyone have any creative ideas for passive forms of income?

For example, royalties from books, music, etc seem pretty good to me.
Similarly, interest, dividends, etc from investments are standard.

Any other ideas?

And no, I don't consider being a landlord to be very passive (had a family member do that, lots of work maintaining the properties).

Blogging (if you count $5 a week as income).

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting links for Google. Once you figure it out explain it to me please.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the last forum i was a member of, a poker forum ldo, had a bunch of small-timers who were actually kinda big-timers. someone brought up the idea that we should pool some money and buy a race horse. it turns out you can own a horse and collect winnings and not ever actually have to see/take care of it.

it started as a lot of us putting in 2-4k, but a few of the real big-timers came in and took over. they ended up with a 200k philly who won for over a year consistantly. was fun to keep up with but at the same time passive.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could do like monavie or avon or some **** like that. once you get set up and get your own people working for you, its supposedly lux. I have an acquantiance who is doing the monavie thing and is convinced he is going to retire rich off of it in like 3-5 years. From what I have seen, he is doing pretty good for himself...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 friends who tried monavie are yet to recoup the costs of their initial 6 bottle purchase.

i am trying to use blogging and **** to draw some additional income.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Buy precious metals like palladium, cadmium, silver, or gold bullion
2. Wait
3. Sell
4. Profit

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I want to be one of those people who gets a degree in something but never actually practices because of family money.

Beatrix Potter's father was like that--he was trained as a lawyer but spent his entire life at gentlemen's clubs.

My mother had a neighbor family in Shanghai who was also similar. They lived in a rather large three-story castle-like structure with a turret and the parents had never worked a single day. Their money came from the fact that preceding generations had all been high officials in the old Imperial regime, which fell in 1911.

My mother recalls the house was filled with gargantuan pieces of antique furniture and trunks stuffed with court robes. Everyone in that family would just idle around all day.

arrested-showtime.jpg

breitlingman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
And no, I don't consider being a landlord to be very passive (had a family member do that, lots of work maintaining the properties).

The idea is to be a property owner, but hire a property manager to deal with the tenants. This way, you have little involvement in the property and it continues to generate income. The only time you have to involve yourself is when you have tenants leave and you need to find a leasing agent to find you a new tenant or when something major breaks or needs maintenance and you need to OK the bill.

Some good passive forms of income have been mentioned, such as blogs and forums... Forum traffic, while high, generates much less per visitor than blog traffic... but you have to work harder for blog content. Either way, you still have to manage advertisers and stuff. Not totally passive. Lots of people make great side incomes in the blog world in the neighborhood of $50,000/yr.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
the last forum i was a member of, a poker forum ldo, had a bunch of small-timers who were actually kinda big-timers. someone brought up the idea that we should pool some money and buy a race horse. it turns out you can own a horse and collect winnings and not ever actually have to see/take care of it.

it started as a lot of us putting in 2-4k, but a few of the real big-timers came in and took over. they ended up with a 200k philly who won for over a year consistantly. was fun to keep up with but at the same time passive.

And when the horse stops winning, you can sell it for dog food and shell cordovan shoes. Damn, seems like a cash machine all the way around.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just record a multi-platinum record and live off the publishing. Britney Spears did it, so it can't be that hard.... right?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Just record a multi-platinum record and live off the publishing. Britney Spears did it, so it can't be that hard.... right?

She didn't make her money from album sales, and neither does anyone else who isn't on an independent label.

bigboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
1. Buy precious metals like palladium, cadmium, silver, or gold bullion
2. Wait
3. Sell
4. Profit

Aside from the industrial metals (and let's not get into the whole silver being one issue), aren't gold and silver both a hedge against inflation, and by that fact alone not a means of making profit?

I'm a science student so I don't have much business info, so I may be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads