1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Paris update

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnapril, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

I think more fashion forward.

2. Walter

Walter Senior Member

I dont mean to be annoying, but the eternal city is Rome. Paris is the city of lights.

3. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

There were 2 shops.

The big one is closed and you have nothing in the small one...

4. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

What's the leather of Berluti bespoke like? Does it crease badly? How do they hold up over time? (Berluti bespoke seems like a really delicate shoe).

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

(globetrotter @ June 03 2005,18:38) John, have fun and enjoy yourself in the eternal city. if you have a free evening, try brassarie balzar by the sorbonne. I am very very jealous.
    I dont mean to be annoying, but the eternal city is Rome. Paris is the city of lights.
    you are right, as usual Walter, both in that I am sure that you don't mean to be annoying (it appears to come naturally to you), and in that paris is the city of lights and rome is the eternal city [​IMG]

6. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

(Walter @ June 04 2005,06:34)
    John, have fun and enjoy yourself in the eternal city. if you have a free evening, try brassarie balzar by the sorbonne. I am very very jealous.
    you are right, as usual Walter, both in that I am sure that you don't mean to be annoying (it appears to come naturally to you), and in that paris is the city of lights and rome is the eternal city [​IMG]
    I thought it was singular: city of light. As in light as a more abstract concept. You know the light that the city gets before sunset, reflected in impressionist paintings, etc etc. But I don't mean to be annoying.

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Distinguished Member

I do believe you are right, it is singular in English. La ville lumière in French, named thusly as of the 1900 world fair, where the use of electricity (still a novelty at the time) was extensive (see "Palais de l'Ã[​IMG]lectricitÃ[​IMG]", among other exhibits).

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Distinguished Member

I never went to Aubercy, only to Corthay's store on Volney street, three times. The experience is worth more to me than the shoes my husband ultimately purchased.

9. cosme62

cosme62 Member

I was at Berluti yesterday and mentionned that i was flying to London this month to buy some EG s result... the manager and salesman both started to rave at how "fabuleux and extraordinaire" EG is nuff said, meanwhile i ll wait n see at how fabuleux my Berluti "lasso" shoe in cognac with red piping turns out :)

10. cosme62

cosme62 Member

ah yes while i m at it there is a store on the champs diagonaly across from rue marboeuf that has 3 size 40 and 42 kitons cotton suits in its window for a 1000 euro a crack, not my size unfortunately or they would no longer be there, 1 blue pin stripe one off white forget the other, they will try to bait n switch to some st andrews for 1500 euros a piece so be obnoxious and persistant :)

11. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Distinguished Member

Not that st. adrew @ 1500 euros a bad deal.

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Just like the manager at the (then) newly opened JM Weston store in London. He was absolutely amazed that EG offered a choice of lasts for special orders (unlike Weston where a certain style comes on a certain last). He had nothing more urgent to do, just arrived in London, then to place his order for a pair of EGs.

13. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Paris acquisitions: John Lobb: black calf boots with medallion toe detail [​IMG] [​IMG] Corthay: RTW, made in France, custom patina performed in 4 days at the shop at 1 rue Volnay [​IMG] [​IMG] Cifonelli: SB wool suit, charcoal with pinstripes, ticket pocket, flat front pants, burgundy lining, and buttons to match my Corthays [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Distinguished Member

Even though the pictures are too dark, they're wonderful beautiful shoes. I especially love the Corthay. See if you can post better pictures for us to drool over the custom patina. Do you mind telling us how much you paid for them? Did you get anything at Aubercy and Albaladejo?

15. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

I don't know why everybody is obsessed by boots on the forulm but i don't like boots. They look like shoes for disabilited, like the medical shoes you see in FOREST GUMP . Do you run faster with them?