• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris Restaurant Recommendation for Romance

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
snooty.jpg

Snooty should have learned that the vest should never be longer than the front of one's jacket, especially on formal dress / morning wear.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mccvi
I have to agree. L'Atelier, Paris is Joel's best effort. There are more romantic places, but this is a wonderful choice overall. Do think about giving it a try.

Originally Posted by SField
It's the crown jewel restaurant of the chef who has been named the best chef of the last century. I haven't seen the same level from the other efforts in NYC, Vegas etc...

You guys have to be kidding. I mean, it is good, very good, but it is hardly his best ever effort.

mccvi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You guys have to be kidding. I mean, it is good, very good, but it is hardly his best ever effort.
I am certainly open to hearing other thoughts. What do you feel has trumped the Paris location? If it is indeed the case, and I haven't been, I'd love to give it try at some point.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am certainly open to hearing other thoughts. What do you feel has trumped the Paris location? If it is indeed the case, and I haven't been, I'd love to give it try at some point.
Jamin and Robuchon for sure. I think the Astor was better. It had the same team as L'Atelier - Robuchon, LeCerf, Hernandez - but served Robuchon's classic dishes. All are closed, unfortunately. Basically, if you could get the Tete de Cochon and the Gelee de Caviar, it was better.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the crown jewel restaurant of the chef who has been named the best chef of the last century. I haven't seen the same level from the other efforts in NYC, Vegas etc...
Joel Robuchon in Vegas has 3*'s vs 2 for L'Atelier in Paris...I think it's a hard argument to make that the Paris L'Atelier is certainly his "crown jewel". I'm sure it's great, and perhaps better than the other L'Atelier's...though I'm not qualified to say. also, I appreciate that you worked there, but this also makes you far from an objective observer capable of truly comparing. Paris does not have a monopoly on the worlds finest restaurants or chefs.

mccvi

Reaction score
Joel Robuchon in Vegas has 3*'s vs 2 for L'Atelier in Paris...I think it's a hard argument to make that the Paris L'Atelier is certainly his "crown jewel".

I'm sure it's great, and perhaps better than the other L'Atelier's...though I'm not qualified to say. also, I appreciate that you worked there, but this also makes you far from an objective observer capable of truly comparing.

Paris does not have a monopoly on the worlds finest restaurants or chefs.

On that note I would say CafÃ
00a9.png
Boulud and Daniel make a fine comparison. Daniel is consistently hailed as the finest of his ventures and has the additional star, but CafÃ
00a9.png
Bouloud is, to me (and many others), a finer restaurant in terms of food and atmosphere. Obviously this is all splitting hairs, they are all incredible places to dine. But it seems that when the chef has his heart in one place, as in the aforementioned examples, the others seems a little less brilliant.

For the OP, I'm sure any of the places mentioned will please.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joel Robuchon in Vegas has 3*'s vs 2 for L'Atelier in Paris...I think it's a hard argument to make that the Paris L'Atelier is certainly his "crown jewel".

I'm sure it's great, and perhaps better than the other L'Atelier's...though I'm not qualified to say. also, I appreciate that you worked there, but this also makes you far from an objective observer capable of truly comparing.

Paris does not have a monopoly on the worlds finest restaurants or chefs.

Your heavy reliance on michelin stars is pretty revealing.

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
I'm planning a trip to Paris in the Spring, my first time there as an adult. I want to get a sense of the restuarant scene there. I've read this thread with great interest, but my requirements differ a bit. This is just for me and my wife, and I'd like to splurge on high-caliber foodie restaurant that is also romantic. If I were able to describe an ideal spot, it would be Michelin rated, serving classical and modern French cuisine, a seasonal menu, in a historic building. Couple of general questions while I have your ear. First, a dumb question regarding budget. How much can I expect to cost at a 2 or 3 star Michelin restaruant in Paris? Are prices comparable to similarly rated restaurants in California? We would likely be doing the chef's tasting menu. Second dumb question, will they likely speak English? Third question, is dining more formal there? Would I need to pack a suit and tie? Fourth, how difficult is it to get a reservation? How far in advance can I book? Best method? Best time? In LA, I usually reserve for 8:00, but understand that they usually eat later across the pond. If you have any suggestions as far as other things to do at night, I would appreciate those as well. We're too old to go clubbing, but would be open to seeing a show or the symphony or the opera or something like that.
You must to ask your wife if she would like the Cock Monsieur, this will to be very romantique! The cost of jus d'orange in restaurant in Paris is very dear, is better not take this when go in restaurant in Paris!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked at L'Atelier in Paris. There is nothing like it elsewhere, sorry.
I ate there last week, and have eaten at the Vegas outpost... I am going to agree w/ SField here. One or two of the dishes were overlaps (like the Caille avec Foie Gras or the Oeuf martini), but there was lots of different stuff, and the ingredients, execution, etc. were just better. I would, however, suggest that it is not the most romantic thing ever to eat at a counter, so probably the Table is a better way for the OP to enjoy Chef Robuchon. I suggested Ducasse to a friend who wanted a place to propose - he was successful, but I'm not sure Alain or I really deserve the credit. I believe it meets all of your criteria. The Jules Verne may fit the Romance thing best.. and it's in a historic building. It is a tougher table to get, due to the location, and I have not been, so I can't vouch for the food, but I've heard it's good. I am not sure about M-stars. For Drinks, if you can get a seat on the balcony area in the second floor of Pershing Hall hotel's lobby bar/restaurant, it's fantastic.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that note I would say CafÃ
00a9.png
Boulud and Daniel make a fine comparison. Daniel is consistently hailed as the finest of his ventures and has the additional star, but CafÃ
00a9.png
Bouloud is, to me (and many others), a finer restaurant in terms of food and atmosphere. Obviously this is all splitting hairs, they are all incredible places to dine. But it seems that when the chef has his heart in one place, as in the aforementioned examples, the others seems a little less brilliant. For the OP, I'm sure any of the places mentioned will please.

Really ???? I've never eaten at Daniel, but was fairly disappointed by CB.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on Daniel vs Cafe Boulud. I much prefer Cafe Boulud's decor, food, ambiance and service.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I agree on Daniel vs Cafe Boulud. I much prefer Cafe Boulud's decor, food, ambiance and service.

I know quite a few people who prefer Cafe Spiaggia to Spiaggia.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your heavy reliance on michelin stars is pretty revealing.
the original point I made is being glossed over. I said:
I might avoid (A'telier) just b/c you can eat at the American outpost (which will be different, sure...)...anyways try something you can't get over here
opinion from a few folks here seems to be that the Paris outpost is better. That's fine. but even if it's 20% better or whatever, you can still get something close to it in various spots around the world, and in OP's case just a few hours drive from LA. that's my point - there are so many great options that you should choose something that's truly unique. additionally, if it's your goal to try the absolute best that this chef/group is capable of, it's possible that it's a 3 hour drive from LA and not a 12 hour plane ride. I would guess that the dining experience / service / romantic experience is unquestionably better at Joël Robuchon just b/c of the type of place it is. the food, I dunno. now, if you absolutely love A'telier in Vegas/LA/London and want to see this concept at it's peak (or even validate that opinion) instead of trying something new, then go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads