1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Paris recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ville_e, Nov 23, 2010.

1. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

You asked a stupid question, you got the answer you deserved. Save your life story for your diary.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It reminds me of Rome's Victor Emmanuel National Monument in its pomposity

Love it...

3. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Is Le Bon Marche a good place to visit for nice tuxedos? I am specifically looking for a double breasted one with peak lapels? Arnys?

Any help on where to find nice rtw tuxedos in paris would be much appreciated.

4. JohnS

JohnS New Member

I'm planning a trip to Paris. What shops, restaurants and hotels (good, moderately priced) would you recommend? i'm specifically looking for some nice shirts (similar to Charvet in quality but more moderate in terms Of pricing) and French scarfs which I can wear with my jackets. Thanks in advance.

I've traveled many times to Paris but a great hotel I've stayed at is the Varenne @ www.varenne-hotel-paris.com - i'ts a very nice 3star not far from the Eiffel tower. It has traditional french decors (i'm not sure if you like that kind of setting) and I had a very comfortable stay!

When is your trip for?

5. Tractopel

Tractopel New Member

Hey!
    There are lots of nice and moderatly priced in Paris, like the hotel Moderne st-germain, in st-germain area. http://www.hotel-paris-stgermain.com/ It's a safe and very lively area. There are tasty restaurants, like the "Zig Zag", a few minutes from the hotel. The Agora st-germain is nice as well, in the same area, very reasonnably priced. http://www.agora-paris-hotel.com/ .
    The hotel Lyon Mulhouse is in Bastille area. If you like shopping this area is great! In the rue du Faubourg St-Antoine there are a lot of shops, like Naf Naf, Kookai, Timberland, Nike, etc... http://www.hotel-lyonmulhouse.com/ . And the hotel Lyon Bastille, is close to Gare de Lyon, and 10minutes on foot from Bastille. Gare de lyon is a big station, with a few metro lines and RER lines! http://www.hotellyonbastille.com/fr/hotel.html .
    Hope it helped! [​IMG]

6. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

I've traveled many times to Paris but a great hotel I've stayed at is the Varenne @ www.varenne-hotel-paris.com - i'ts a very nice 3star not far from the Eiffel tower. It has traditional french decors (i'm not sure if you like that kind of setting) and I had a very comfortable stay!

When is your trip for?

Unfortunately I am already back in Finland but I will refer back to this thread for further information.

Stayed in the St Germain area and visited many of the restaurants in the area including Brasserie Lipp and Voltaire. I got a fantastic sportcoat at Arnys and a tuxedo from Arthur et Fox. Visited the Modern Art Museum (Basquiat exhibition) and the MusÃ[​IMG]e d'Orsay. All-in-all a great trip! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

7. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I got engaged in the Parc du Luxembourg

nice memories

8. JohnS

JohnS New Member

Unfortunately I am already back in Finland but I will refer back to this thread for further information.

Stayed in the St Germain area and visited many of the restaurants in the area including Brasserie Lipp and Voltaire. I got a fantastic sportcoat at Arnys and a tuxedo from Arthur et Fox. Visited the Modern Art Museum (Basquiat exhibition) and the MusÃ[​IMG]e d'Orsay. All-in-all a great trip! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Glad to hear you had a fun trip!

9. seok

seok Senior member

Are Charvets and Lobbs in Paris really that much more vs in NYC?

Lobb has 3 stores in Paris--any one with much better selection than the other?

Ignore anyone who says they have a favourite cafÃ[​IMG] or restaurant: only tourists have these and shockingly, they always happen to be the first serviceable place within 10 minutes of their hotel. In fact, ignore anyone who tells you that you "have to" or "should" see/do/experience anything, it's inevitably just bragging about what they've done instead of intended to be good advice.

I recommend you avoid the first 8 arrondissements completely as they are largely filled with clueless foreigners, overpriced bistrots and kitschy boutiques selling crap, not to mention you're having the same pre-packaged, trite vacation experience as every other rubber-necking tourist. There are obviously some items of interest in there but you won't know how to recognize them so don't bother trying. Do not go anywhere near the Champs Elysees or the Grands Magasins; these are just soulless duty-frees. In fact, don't buy anything in Paris unless you really can't get it elsewhere because it'll be 2x more expensive here than anywhere else. For the love of God don't waste your time visiting Gucci and Louis Vuitton like some Russian mobster asshole, Jesus, what the fuck.

Other than that, I recommend you not stop in the middle of the sidewalk in mid-stride to take a picture while I am walking right behind you. I really hate that.

On the do side, it's pretty simple. If you like art, the choice of museums is obvious. If you like monuments, likewise. If you like architecture, just walk around and keep your eyes open, or rent a vÃ[​IMG]lib and go explore. If you like French gardens, the Tuileries, Luxembourg and the Jardin des Plantes; English: Parcs Monceau, Buttes-Chaumont and Montsouris. If you like shows, pick up copies of La Terrasse and the Pariscope to see what's playing. The OpÃ[​IMG]ra Bastille is good, the Garnier less so. Go to the market and buy stinky, unpasteurized cheese you're not allowed to eat at home. Pair it with a tradition (not a baguette). Learn a bit of French and read www.paris.fr and www.evous.fr/Paris.html to see what's going on in town in terms of festivals, expos, events, etc.

10. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

am going to be in the city for two days early Sept.
    Would be interested to hear some museum recs. I've done the biggies before (LOuvre, Pomp., D'Orsay, Picasso) and I'm interested to hear of other, smaller, lesser-known places which are worth visit.
    Any offers?

11. rjsphd

rjsphd Senior member

I have always enjoyed the MusÃ[​IMG]e Jacquemart-AndrÃ[​IMG]. Its a jewel of a home as it was in the 19th C. The museum is a great place to have a Sunday brunch, too, as the restaurant is not bad, but gets crowded.

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Heading to Paris next weekend... Any words on the price of Carmina in store?

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

am going to be in the city for two days early Sept.
    Would be interested to hear some museum recs. I've done the biggies before (LOuvre, Pomp., D'Orsay, Picasso) and I'm interested to hear of other, smaller, lesser-known places which are worth visit.
    Any offers?

Just to name two (very different ones): Palais de Tokyo and MusÃ[​IMG]e Carnavalet.

14. Galix

Galix Senior member

Heading to Paris next weekend... Any words on the price of Carmina in store?
    Actually it'd be interesting to compare. A couple of weeks ago I went to Carmina's store in Barcelona and prices ranged from aprox. 150€ to around 600€. Most models being around 350€. For instance, Cordovan shell boots with dainite sole were 575€.

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Interesting--well I am going to both, so maybe I can compare as well [​IMG]. 350 euro ain't too shabby though, that falls within budget.

16. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Street food (crepes) in Paris..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

Brasserie Lipp is not in the 8th...

18. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

Rolled into Carmina in Paris today. Prices starting around 400EUR for calf even after soldes

19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Really? I would say 300 eur plus. Pics soon.

20. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

Maybe for loafers? Only checked a few laceups and that was the average I saw