Paris recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ville_e, Nov 23, 2010.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That's a bit extreme. You send people to Barbès, Nation and la Butte aux Cailles exclusively? [​IMG]

He is mad....

Rue Marbeuf,Francois Ier and Champs-Elysees.

Cifonelli,JM WESTON,Berluti,John Lobb,Bowie,Armani,Boss and every designers under the sun...

Corthay rue de Volnay...

Galeries Lafayettes and Printemps behind the Opera...

All designers under the sun.

Bon Marche and Boulevard Saint Germain

2. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Better than sending them to the Marais on a weekend. [​IMG] I may have exaggerated a bit for effect but it seriously depresses me to see all these people without a clue pay a fortune for bad coffee and worse food and get a thrill out of it. And hanging around Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower gets really boring after about 5 minutes.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Better than sending them to the Marais on a weekend. [​IMG]

I may have exaggerated a bit for effect but it seriously depresses me to see all these people without a clue pay a fortune for bad coffee and worse food and get a thrill out of it. And hanging around Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower gets really boring after about 5 minutes.

Berthillon is making delicious ice-creams...

Go to the Parc du Luxembourg ,sit down and just look around you...

It is free and just soul cleansing..

Go to the Pont des Arts after the Louvre and walk alongside the banks of the Seine...

The bouquinistes have great stuff..

Rue Mouffetard behind the Pantheon is great at night.

4. holymadness

He is mad....

Rue Marbeuf,Francois Ier and Champs-Elysees.

Cifonelli,JM WESTON,Berluti,John Lobb,Bowie,Armani,Boss and every designers under the sun...

Corthay rue de Volnay...

Galeries Lafayettes and Printemps behind the Opera...

All designers under the sun.

Bon Marche and Boulevard Saint Germain

Sure, if you conceive of your vacations as shopping lists. What a waste of time.

Je vous rappelle que mon bureau se trouve sur l'Avenue Montaigne. C'est le quartier le plus mort de Paris et je m'y connais bien.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Better than sending them to the Marais on a weekend. [​IMG]

When I lived there, I would go either to the Puces or to the Marais on Sundays. Everything else is closed !

I get your point about avoiding tourists but some of these places are pleasant to see or hang out in.

Avenue Montaigne is 100% dead.

6. George

George Senior member

Berthillon is making delicious ice-creams... Go to the Parc du Luxembourg ,sit down and just look around you... It is free and just soul cleansing.. Go to the Pont des Arts after the Louvre and walk alongside the banks of the Seine... The bouquinistes have great stuff.. Rue Mouffetard behind the Pantheon is great at night.
    Yes, but there's always a large queue at Berthillion. I ain't that excited about ice cream. My favourite places in Paris are Roissy with Orly a very, very close second...[​IMG]

7. holymadness

Le dimanche is for eating a nice gigot with Mamie and PÃ[​IMG][​IMG] !

I don't know how long ago you lived here but the Marais is a hell during the weekends, especially on Sunday when it's piÃ[​IMG]ton. If you actually tried to find a free bench at the Place des Vosges you'd be waiting at least an hour.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't know how long ago you lived here
    Left ten years ago

9. holymadness

Probably changed quite a bit since then. They've allowed a few other areas to open their stores on Sundays since, and there are always the museums, theatres, cinemas and parks.

In any case, I agree there are plenty of great things to see and experience in the centre, but it offers a lopsided, Disneyfied view of the city. I also hate seeing tourists offer other tourists advice on what's "must-see"; it reminds of when you see a guy coaching his friend at the gym when he has no clue what he's doing himself.

Anyway, enough rage. Enjoy your trip.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sure, if you conceive of your vacations as shopping lists. What a waste of time.

Je vous rappelle que mon bureau se trouve sur l'Avenue Montaigne. C'est le quartier le plus mort de Paris et je m'y connais bien.

I love l'Avenue Montaigne ...

You have been lucky to have an office there...

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Lucky bastard! For food I can't recommend highly enough La Villaret northeast of the Place de la Republique. Some good articles written about it if you do a Google search. My wife and I both work in the food and wine industry and we agree it's one of the best meals we've experience. Have fun!

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Lucky bastard! For food I can't recommend highly enough La Villaret northeast of the Place de la Republique. Some good articles written about it if you do a Google search. My wife and I both work in the food and wine industry and we agree it's one of the best meals we've experience. Have fun!

Place de la republique?

That's not Avenue Montaigne for sure...

The Buttes Chaumont are also great and the Parc Monceau...

13. juuceman

juuceman Senior member

ride the bicycles that are parked outside of every metro station; try and have lunch at Cafe des Musee..

14. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Where could I get some nice French scarfs to wear with my sportcoats? Do Arnys have them?

What would be the best place to get high quality dress shirts in the same price range as Boggi in Italy (or slightly higher)? I might have one bespoke shirt made at Charvet but would like to buy some stylish mid-priced shirts for everyday use.

15. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

In terms of clothing, I'm mostly looking for some scarves and shirts. Any ideas? Thanks for the recommendations so far. Smth like this: [​IMG]