1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Paris recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ville_e, Nov 23, 2010.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If you really need to go to a department store, go to Le Bon Marche on the left bank. A bit more civilized than Printemps or the Galeries. And the neighborhood is more pleasant.

2. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I know that's why I travel. Can't wait to hit Target and Macy's next time I get stateside. Oh boy.

3. gdl203

I know that's why I travel. Can't wait to hit Target and Macy's next time I get stateside. Oh boy.

Printemps is probably more Bloomingdales than Target but I get (and echo) your point.

4. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

5. george.white

george.white Member

Holy, any recommendations since you live in Paris?

6. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Thanks everyone for all your great recommendations. Much appreciated! This is one of the reasons I love this forum.

Yeah, it would be interesting to get some store, restaurant etc. recommendations from a local. If anyone would like to meet up and show me around, that would also be great (Holy + others.)

7. gdl203

Check out L'Eclaireur and Colette. Go to the MarchÃ[​IMG] aux Puces in St Ouen on a Sunday morning and browse antiques and random stalls. If you do go to Le Bon MarchÃ[​IMG] (which I like), there are a couple of discount shops around there (e.g. Mouton a Cinq Pattes) where you may find a good deal ona jacket or suit. Hang out in the Marais and St Paul area - grab a shawarma Rue des Rosiers, stroll the Rue des Francs-Bourgeois n a Sunday afternoon (shops are open there). Make a stop on a bench at Place des Vosges. On the left bank, take a stroll in the Jardin du Luxembourg. Maybe see what's playing at the Odeon theater. Look at all the student brouhaha around St Germain and Odeon. Check out Shakespeare & Co, an interesting American book store that's been there since right after the war. Have a look at the Arenes de Luteces - people are not always aware of the Roman ruins in Paris. If you feel like it, take a trip in the Catacombes.

8. holymadness

Ignore anyone who says they have a favourite cafÃ[​IMG] or restaurant: only tourists have these and shockingly, they always happen to be the first serviceable place within 10 minutes of their hotel. In fact, ignore anyone who tells you that you "have to" or "should" see/do/experience anything, it's inevitably just bragging about what they've done instead of intended to be good advice.

I recommend you avoid the first 8 arrondissements completely as they are largely filled with clueless foreigners, overpriced bistrots and kitschy boutiques selling crap, not to mention you're having the same pre-packaged, trite vacation experience as every other rubber-necking tourist. There are obviously some items of interest in there but you won't know how to recognize them so don't bother trying. Do not go anywhere near the Champs Elysees or the Grands Magasins; these are just soulless duty-frees. In fact, don't buy anything in Paris unless you really can't get it elsewhere because it'll be 2x more expensive here than anywhere else. For the love of God don't waste your time visiting Gucci and Louis Vuitton like some Russian mobster asshole, Jesus, what the fuck.

Other than that, I recommend you not stop in the middle of the sidewalk in mid-stride to take a picture while I am walking right behind you. I really hate that.

On the do side, it's pretty simple. If you like art, the choice of museums is obvious. If you like monuments, likewise. If you like architecture, just walk around and keep your eyes open, or rent a vÃ[​IMG]lib and go explore. If you like French gardens, the Tuileries, Luxembourg and the Jardin des Plantes; English: Parcs Monceau, Buttes-Chaumont and Montsouris. If you like shows, pick up copies of La Terrasse and the Pariscope to see what's playing. The OpÃ[​IMG]ra Bastille is good, the Garnier less so. Go to the market and buy stinky, unpasteurized cheese you're not allowed to eat at home. Pair it with a tradition (not a baguette). Learn a bit of French and read www.paris.fr and www.evous.fr/Paris.html to see what's going on in town in terms of festivals, expos, events, etc.

1 person likes this.
  9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe its just me but I get a kick out of going into regular stores when I am overseas as much as specialty and high-end retailers. I enjoy seeing the different options, packaging and styles for broad consumption.

1 person likes this.
  10. gdl203

I recommend you avoid the first 8 arrondissements completely

That's a bit extreme. You send people to Barbès, Nation and la Butte aux Cailles exclusively? [​IMG]

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That's a bit extreme. You send people to Barbès, Nation and la Butte aux Cailles exclusively? [​IMG]

He is mad....

Rue Marbeuf,Francois Ier and Champs-Elysees.

Cifonelli,JM WESTON,Berluti,John Lobb,Bowie,Armani,Boss and every designers under the sun...

Corthay rue de Volnay...

Galeries Lafayettes and Printemps behind the Opera...

All designers under the sun.

Bon Marche and Boulevard Saint Germain

12. holymadness

Better than sending them to the Marais on a weekend. [​IMG] I may have exaggerated a bit for effect but it seriously depresses me to see all these people without a clue pay a fortune for bad coffee and worse food and get a thrill out of it. And hanging around Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower gets really boring after about 5 minutes.

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Better than sending them to the Marais on a weekend. [​IMG]

I may have exaggerated a bit for effect but it seriously depresses me to see all these people without a clue pay a fortune for bad coffee and worse food and get a thrill out of it. And hanging around Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower gets really boring after about 5 minutes.

Berthillon is making delicious ice-creams...

Go to the Parc du Luxembourg ,sit down and just look around you...

It is free and just soul cleansing..

Go to the Pont des Arts after the Louvre and walk alongside the banks of the Seine...

The bouquinistes have great stuff..

Rue Mouffetard behind the Pantheon is great at night.

14. holymadness

He is mad....

Rue Marbeuf,Francois Ier and Champs-Elysees.

Cifonelli,JM WESTON,Berluti,John Lobb,Bowie,Armani,Boss and every designers under the sun...

Corthay rue de Volnay...

Galeries Lafayettes and Printemps behind the Opera...

All designers under the sun.

Bon Marche and Boulevard Saint Germain

Sure, if you conceive of your vacations as shopping lists. What a waste of time.

Je vous rappelle que mon bureau se trouve sur l'Avenue Montaigne. C'est le quartier le plus mort de Paris et je m'y connais bien.

15. gdl203

Better than sending them to the Marais on a weekend. [​IMG]

When I lived there, I would go either to the Puces or to the Marais on Sundays. Everything else is closed !

I get your point about avoiding tourists but some of these places are pleasant to see or hang out in.

Avenue Montaigne is 100% dead.

16. George

George Senior member

Berthillon is making delicious ice-creams... Go to the Parc du Luxembourg ,sit down and just look around you... It is free and just soul cleansing.. Go to the Pont des Arts after the Louvre and walk alongside the banks of the Seine... The bouquinistes have great stuff.. Rue Mouffetard behind the Pantheon is great at night.
    Yes, but there's always a large queue at Berthillion. I ain't that excited about ice cream. My favourite places in Paris are Roissy with Orly a very, very close second...[​IMG]

17. holymadness

Le dimanche is for eating a nice gigot with Mamie and PÃ[​IMG][​IMG] !

I don't know how long ago you lived here but the Marais is a hell during the weekends, especially on Sunday when it's piÃ[​IMG]ton. If you actually tried to find a free bench at the Place des Vosges you'd be waiting at least an hour.

18. gdl203

I don't know how long ago you lived here
    Left ten years ago

19. holymadness

Probably changed quite a bit since then. They've allowed a few other areas to open their stores on Sundays since, and there are always the museums, theatres, cinemas and parks.

In any case, I agree there are plenty of great things to see and experience in the centre, but it offers a lopsided, Disneyfied view of the city. I also hate seeing tourists offer other tourists advice on what's "must-see"; it reminds of when you see a guy coaching his friend at the gym when he has no clue what he's doing himself.

Anyway, enough rage. Enjoy your trip.

20. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sure, if you conceive of your vacations as shopping lists. What a waste of time.

Je vous rappelle que mon bureau se trouve sur l'Avenue Montaigne. C'est le quartier le plus mort de Paris et je m'y connais bien.

I love l'Avenue Montaigne ...

You have been lucky to have an office there...