• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris Flea Market: "Port de Clignancourt"

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picture064.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very cool

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ive been there at least 5x and make it a point to go every time I am in Paris. It is mind boggling how much amazing stuff they have there.

The pictures you show are of the high end shops, but the "junkier" ones are where the treasures are. I got the most amazing ormolu candelabras and sconces that were beat to **** for 150 euros. Took them home, polished them, they look amazing. I could spend all day (and have) there. Also found a pair of elephant skin bespoke Lobbs there.

Just be wary of the seedy neighborhood it sits in. Dont go far outside the market.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loved the vintage suitcases and gladstones:
imageafu.jpg
Also, ejection seat:
imageadl.jpg

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
oooh i like the recliner chair in the fourth pic...

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Ive been there at least 5x and make it a point to go every time I am in Paris. It is mind boggling how much amazing stuff they have there.

The pictures you show are of the high end shops, but the "junkier" ones are where the treasures are. I got the most amazing ormolu candelabras and sconces that were beat to **** for 150 euros. Took them home, polished them, they look amazing. I could spend all day (and have) there. Also found a pair of elephant skin bespoke Lobbs there.

Just be wary of the seedy neighborhood it sits in. Dont go far outside the market.

Please share your finds (pics). This has potential to be a good thread. Needless to say I 'd like to see what sort of finds you have acquired in years past.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Please share your finds (pics). This has potential to be a good thread. Needless to say I 'd like to see what sort of finds you have acquired in years past.

i have been there as well,it really is an amazing place.only problem is as a visitor you see all this great stuff and theres no way you can take it wiith you on a plane.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great photos. I always see things there but then say "how will I get it home?".

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Great photos. I always see things there but then say "how will I get it home?".

Originally Posted by frenchy
i have been there as well,it really is an amazing place.only problem is as a visitor you see all this great stuff and theres no way you can take it wiith you on a plane.

Have you guys ever priced the shipping and US taxes for such transaction?

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Have you guys ever priced the shipping and US taxes for such transaction?

im in canada so no,plus i always like the big stuff like that chair in the fourth pic...so even just getting it stored in the hotel is a nightmare.
i think if you shipped it by surface (ship) it shouldnt be too expensive but then you gotta wait like 8 weeks

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ill try and get some pics up in a little bit -

Ive always brought extra luggage just for that reason, and sometimes packed and shipped cumbersome pieces through the hotel myself back to my house via the concierge.

At Clignancourt though, there is a booth that specializes in coordinating international deliveries for large furniture pieces there. It could not be more convenient. I think its right outside the Marche Malasses.

On a side note, for anyone who has an interest in brass mounts, ormolu, furniture mounts, etc. - you have to check out the guy who is right on the corner of Marche Malasses, right when you walk in. All he sells is brass mounts. Some really amazing stuff he has there, not easy to find a pair of things, but if you dig you may come up with a treasure. He gives fair prices and is a great guy. I dont have his card handy, but its the only booth like it there. Cant miss him.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, pretty cool.

My friend owns a very nice collectible poster gallery, here in Houston, Tx.

The Paris Flea Market is one of his main sources of posters when he buys. I went over with him once and I was amazed at how much it differed from an "American Flea Market". While I guess you could search out very inexpensive bargain places, there were many relatively high end shops ( at least to me ) at the Flea Market.

Things like $15,000 posters and $25,000 pieces of furniture were readily available.

Also, someone above mentioned the seedy neighborhood ( which is true ). We went on a busy day and I didn't feel unsafe. But there were definitely pick pockets working the area.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some quick shots of a few pieces, all purchased there : signed solid brass medusa head curtain tiebacks in mint condition
ded54da4.jpg
2" giant ormolu masks (pair) c. 1857 now mounted to the end of a sleigh bed:
963f573c.jpg
ormolu mount c. 1860's ish now mounted above a doorway
d0afdee1.jpg
19th c. engraving entitled "protecting angels:
1069502f.jpg
Chromolithograph from 1857 by Racinet entitled "XVII Siecle"
0ab0e3c8.jpg
mid 18th century signed brass articulated figural candle sconce:
edb7c696.jpg

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Also, someone above mentioned the seedy neighborhood ( which is true ). We went on a busy day and I didn't feel unsafe. But there were definitely pick pockets working the area.

+ guys with multiple watches on each arm selling trenchcoat-pocket Chanel no. 5 everywhere
laugh.gif

Nice pickups spoo

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you SPOO, nice finds. Who does not like old bronze. I am going to look at the junkier shops with purpose next time I am there. However my heart was broken by all that GORGEOUS furniture that is impossible to find in US. I saw few perfect Bookcases that I would be willing to import if I had time and new all the details(such as US taxation). some additional pics
th_Picture039.jpg
[/url]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads