• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris and London in May

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I were originally planning a trip to Paris and London during this past September. Unfortunately that didn't work out, so now we're thinking May. How are those cities that time of year? We've never been to Europe, so we really don't know much about what to expect in terms of accomodations while we're there. We're thinking a 9 day trip, 6 or 7 in Paris, 2 or 3 in London. The Dorchester in London seems nice and not horrificly expensive. The brief research I've done pointed to the Plaza Athenee, George V, or Hotel Le Meurice as the places to stay in Paris, but looking at the prices now, they're all >1000 euros. Are prices likely to change between now and then (for the better) or should I find another hotel? Do you have any recommendations for nice and reasonable places to stay in Paris?

I'm also interested in hearing your recommendations for dining in London and Paris, particularly for at least one high end restaurant in Paris.

Thanks, h_s.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a beautiful time. I recently came upon a hotel in Paris I'll be staying at in the future. It is called Pavillon de la Reine and while not cheap, it is more like $500 or so than $1k. Normally I stay at the Relais Christine, but I like this location better. A few doors down is l'Ambroisie, which is a wonderful three star restaurant. The only one I think is better is l'Arpege, which I think is probably the best restaurant I've been to. Arpege is best for lunch, in my opinion, as the dinner menu is 360 Euros and the lunch menu is like 125, but the difference is like one course, you get a meat and a fish instead of a meat or a fish. Really great place. If you went to Arpege for lunch one day and Ambroisie for dinner another you would probably be in heaven.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Matt. I had a feeling you'd have some good advice re: this subject.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Do you really want to spend a week in Paris? That's a long time.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Dorchester is nice, I'll put in a good word for The Chesterfield Mayfair. Exquisite service, close to everything and a quiet neighborhood to boot.

Beautiful time to visit London.

Last edited:

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt, I checked the hotel you recommended and it's currently at an average daily rate of 880 euros. Do you think prices are likely to come down between now and May?

Teger, you're right, a week in Paris might be too long. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to venture beyond Paris? Thanks, h_s.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Expedia has it at 571 USD in May,for a deluxe room and 750 USD for a junior suite. My feeling is that in Paris you are fine with a regular room because you are out and about most of the time.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, that's quite a difference between their website and Expedia.

How difficult is it to get reservations at those restaurants? Is this like trying to get in TFL, per se, or Alinea?

Last edited:

sns23

Reaction score
Great time of year. I would go in late May though. Temperatures will be a little warmer. Both cities, especially London, can even be chilly during the peak of summer. As said above, i would split the time up more evenly. Two days in London will not be enough. Five days in each city would be a good amount of time.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting, that's quite a difference between their website and Expedia.

How difficult is it to get reservations at those restaurants? Is this like trying to get in TFL, per se, or Alinea?

Much easier.

L'Ambroisie was apparently difficult to book for dinner before the financial crisis, but that doesn't seem to be a problem now. I would imagine that your hotel concierge will be able to take care of things also. There is no call exactly 1440 hours ahead of time bullshit or anything like that. You could probably click through the Arpege website now and they'd accommodate you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5 days each would be great, I'd take the train between - I love the Eurostar. if you want to add something else, 2 days in Brussels - its a pretty town with good food.

I usually go for much cheaper hotel rooms in Paris, frankly, but I go for business, although I have taken my wife and my mother there on differnt occasions. a nice room in a mariott can be had for 300 Euros.

I'd say that you can also get some very good meals in paris wihtout just going to the very best resteraunts, and you can get a few very good meals in london at the same type of places. while a couple of the very best in each city would be great, it would be a shame to miss some of the mid range places. you want to have some couscous and maybe even vietnamese in Paris, and chinese in London.

spend a day, or better two half days, at the louvre. a good half day at the d'orsay.

the time of year is great.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Much easier.
L'Ambroisie was apparently difficult to book for dinner before the financial crisis, but that doesn't seem to be a problem now. I would imagine that your hotel concierge will be able to take care of things also. There is no call exactly 1440 hours ahead of time bullshit or anything like that. You could probably click through the Arpege website now and they'd accommodate you.

I think Arpege and Astrance are the only three stars that are always sold out. A camera at Ambroisie will get you seated in the **** room, I believe.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think for a first time visit though, that Guy Savoy might be a better place for him to go than Arpege or l'Ambroisie?

Anyway, if you go to Arpege, keep in mind that anything is possible (to the extent that "anything" means splitting or ordering half portions of dishes), so it's possible to add stuff on at lunch if you really want both fish and meat, or if something appealing shows up that you think you might want. I've never ordered the tasting menu there (like Matt said it's ridiculously expensive though it is a parade of really expensive ingredients--turbot, lobster, foie gras. . .--while the lunch menu is more focused on vegetables) but if you'd prefer to go at dinner, keep in mind that you can do pretty well ordering a la carte and splitting dishes 1 for 2 (their half portions are very large, as if you order full portions ALC they will offer you seconds). You can have a nice, reasonably priced(compared to the tasting menu) dinner by splitting 2-3 entrees (35-60 euros most likely unless there are truffles), a fish (85-140ish) and a meat (80-110) and then cheese/dessert.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To Gomey's point about affordable/good in London. You have to plan for it mostly, there's a big gap from cheap to expensive and good. There's not a lot in the $20-40 per-person range, for example.

I've been a a couple of times to each of Arbutus' restaurants.
Wild Honey (love it) just remodeled and reopened last week, and the newest, Les Deux Salons is also nice. I liked the actual Arbutus least, but each time we were there at the tail end of very busy nights.

All are centrally located.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I was in Paris at the end of May. Lovely experience.

we stayed at apartments that owners rent out to tourists, and it worked out great. Ended up being far cheaper as well, though I don't recall actual rates (maybe 1,000 Euro or so for the week)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads