• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris and Florence Shopping Recommendations?

garthbernstein

Reaction score
My wife and I are visiting Florence & Paris this May, and I am looking to purchase a MTM (or RTW) suit, sport jacket, and shirt (or two). Since I will not be in Europe for multiple bespoke fittings, do you have any shopping recommendations for MTM or something like that? I'm looking for a classic/true Parisian/Florentine experience, and few quantity/high quality items. Thanks!

jamiemcp

Reaction score
Permanent style has a guide to shopping in Paris and possibly Florence

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My comments from 2012.

Recommendation from earlier post.
Not super high end, but excellent RTW clothing:

You might wish to try these shops for well-priced semi
trad menswear. I own several pairs of their dress slacks,
the oldest of which is from the early 80s.
They are superbly made and have worn extremely well.
I haven't been to Paris in the last few years , but the last time
I checked, the stores carried the same style and quality.
Also recently endorsed by other SF memebers.

Arthur et Fox
159 Blvd. St Germain
75006 Paris

Arthur et Fox
44 Rue du Bac
75007 Paris

There's another branch near the Opera.
Also, as I recall, at least several years back,
they owned another store near Ave. Foch
but with a different name

Weston shoes are another good bet.

Have a great visit.

garthbernstein

Reaction score
thank you for the great recommendation, that sounds like what I'm looking for.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are headed to Paris in April as well and I've been doing some research. Bernardin in St Germain appears to have a lot of good tailored clothing and accessory options. http://bernardin.paris/

I'm also planning on stopping in at both the Heschung and Paraboot stores to see their shoes. On past trips to Paris I have enjoyed picking up shoes as well as tailored clothing and accessories. In Paris the range of Paraboot and Heschung is much more varied and interesting than what we typically see in the US. They both make excellent shoes that are stylish and a good value. I especially like their rubber sole suede derbys or chukkas.

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bruce Fields (Rue de Richelieu, 2 mins walk from Carmina) for men’s shirts Made in France and suits from decent fabrics such as VBC.

Corthay (Rue Volney, 2 mins walk from Charvet) for superlative shoes but get your wallet ready.

Finsbury Shoes is also decent for affordable shoes.

JM Legazel (either Printemps/Lafayette) for shoes and leather goods with crazy customised patina, and less waiting time than Septieme Largeur. Altan Bottier also has colourful patinaed shoes.

Maximilliens in St Germain for overcoats made with Loro Piana fabric. Also some nice suits.

Carmille Fournet (Rue Cambon) for customised watch straps.

Ralph Lauren in St Germain for your RLPL suits and Marlows wingtip.

There is also a shop called Husbands for semi-canvassed suits.

If you have time, take the RER A to Val D’Europe (one stop before Disney) and visit the La Vallee Outlet. Here you can find discounted prices for Loro Piana, Hackett, Gant, Ralph Lauren, Dunhill, Heschung, St Dupont, Eric Bompard, Zegna, Alain Figaret, and lots of others. Train trip roughly 40 mins.

bobbyz

Reaction score
I'm planning to head to paris a little bit later in the summer.

I don't suppose the word affordable and Paris go together? Would love to introduce some unique french fashion into my wardrobe but don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions?

The only thing I really have in mind is stopping by Carmina right now

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to head to paris a little bit later in the summer.

I don't suppose the word affordable and Paris go together? Would love to introduce some unique french fashion into my wardrobe but don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions?

The only thing I really have in mind is stopping by Carmina right now

Carmina is neither unique French fashion nor cheap in Paris (compared with the website direct).

If you get there during the sales season, you can get affordable things in Paris. Of course, it is highly dependent on what you mean by "affordable".

bobbyz

Reaction score
You're right. Carmina is a bit cheaper over there than in Canada after duties and import fees (which are crazy)

When is sales season?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics