• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Papa Johns

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of crust and toppings are good with a Papa Johns pizza?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Would you say Papa Johns > Pizza Hut and Dominos?

I never had PJ before.

Only in the way that Syphilis > Herpes > AIDS, I guess.

But yes, it's the only delivery chain pizza I would ever willingly order. :p

I don't think they do the thin crust anymore, but if they do, my favorite pizza after those 3 years was thin crust, green olives, green peppers and pepperoni for some reason. With extra thin crust shaker.

The dough is mediocre, the toppings are frozen. At least prior to the Pizza Hut lawsuit, we had fresh bell peppers and stuff that we cut daily, but it's my understanding now that they just use frozen pre-cuts like the rest. Ugh...

If you're new to PJ... Get an original hand-tossed with Pepperoni. Try it with and without the garlic butter sauce that comes on the side. Wash it down with a cold soda and/or beer. If you don't like it, chances are you won't like anything more complex from them.

A friend ordered The Works awhile back and I ended up just picking toppings off and eating them and leaving the pizza..
frown.gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Only in the way that Syphilis > Herpes > AIDS, I guess.

But yes, it's the only delivery chain pizza I would ever willingly order. :p

I don't think they do the thin crust anymore, but if they do, my favorite pizza after those 3 years was thin crust, green olives, green peppers and pepperoni for some reason. With extra thin crust shaker.

The dough is mediocre, the toppings are frozen. At least prior to the Pizza Hut lawsuit, we had fresh bell peppers and stuff that we cut daily, but it's my understanding now that they just use frozen pre-cuts like the rest. Ugh...

If you're new to PJ... Get an original hand-tossed with Pepperoni. Try it with and without the garlic butter sauce that comes on the side. Wash it down with a cold soda and/or beer. If you don't like it, chances are you won't like anything more complex from them.

A friend ordered The Works awhile back and I ended up just picking toppings off and eating them and leaving the pizza..
frown.gif

I noticed people that have experience working for pizza chains always go off about how gross the pizzas are. Why the hate?
eh.gif

B1FF

Reaction score
I haven't had it in years, but I remember that the toppings didn't really matter. The pizza was just meant to be a sponge to soak up garlic butter.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I noticed people that have experience working for pizza chains always go off about how gross the pizzas are. Why the hate?
eh.gif

It boils down to two things-- you get disgusted by being around pizza 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and just the thought of pizza grosses you out. That, and you get to see all the "behind the scenes" footage that paying customers don't, some of which isn't so pretty.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

I've never worked for a pizza chain; but their offerings are all more or less worthless, suitable only for satisfying inebriated after-hours cravings.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It boils down to two things-- you get disgusted by being around pizza 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and just the thought of pizza grosses you out. That, and you get to see all the "behind the scenes" footage that paying customers don't, some of which isn't so pretty.
Indeed. You come home smelling like it. Your car smells like it. Your clothes smell like it. Your money smells like it. It's like working fast food, though. It took about 10 years before I could eat at Wendy's again (my first job when I was 16!) and I typically find WEndy's to be the best fast food burger joint, unless there's an in-n-out around. I still can't do Red Lobster (my second job after Wendy's). Nasty kitchen, nasty prep, nasty frozen/prepped food, why anyone would pay money for it when you can make it from scratch for less money, maybe a bit more time (not really if you count driving, waiting to be seated, waiting to order, waiting for food, etc) and be sooo much better and most likely good for you. Dont' get me wrong, I still eat junk, but I'm aware of the trade-offs.
smile.gif
I know a guy who trained in france for 3 years. Worked in some serious (so he says, I've eaten his food, I believe him) restaurants. And on his days off? He orders a sub or a pizza from a delivery place around the corner from him because he has no desire to cook after cooking 100+ covers/night for 6 nights... :p Then again, he's now in the front of the house because that pays more money...

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None, it is the worst of the big 3. I'll take Dominoes over Papa Johns. Pizza Hut is close to being as awful as Papa John's, but not quite that bad.

I rarely get pizza anymore, and when I do, I usually prefer little tiny local pizza restaurants or Chicago style deep dish.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's about even with Domino's for me, but wins because I can order online rather than deal with some pimple-face on the phone.

Because chain pizza is, as a rule, gross? I eat it on occasion, but it's really kind of horrible in every way, whichever chain you choose.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, scratch that, Domino's got their **** together and finally started online ordering in my area.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ewwww.. Domino's always tasted like cardboard to me. PJ's was mushy icky dough, but there was no cardboard taste. Pizza Hut.. the only time I ever ate pizza hut was at 3AM when I got off from work because we had one of those Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza stands in our concession area at work. It was either those or KFC hot wings.
smile.gif

lost in va

Reaction score
Papa Johns is the only local chain that I'll order (almost all chain pizza places are within 4-5 min of me) from and it's almost always a thin curst with pepperoni and bacon. Basic but it gets the job done.

Now of course your local so and so will have better pizza then Papa Johns but look how many pies are flying out their door compared to the chains.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads