• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Papa Johns

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
4,283
Reaction score
12

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
1,366
Reaction score
119
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Would you say Papa Johns > Pizza Hut and Dominos?

I never had PJ before.


Only in the way that Syphilis > Herpes > AIDS, I guess.

But yes, it's the only delivery chain pizza I would ever willingly order. :p

I don't think they do the thin crust anymore, but if they do, my favorite pizza after those 3 years was thin crust, green olives, green peppers and pepperoni for some reason. With extra thin crust shaker.

The dough is mediocre, the toppings are frozen. At least prior to the Pizza Hut lawsuit, we had fresh bell peppers and stuff that we cut daily, but it's my understanding now that they just use frozen pre-cuts like the rest. Ugh...

If you're new to PJ... Get an original hand-tossed with Pepperoni. Try it with and without the garlic butter sauce that comes on the side. Wash it down with a cold soda and/or beer. If you don't like it, chances are you won't like anything more complex from them.

A friend ordered The Works awhile back and I ended up just picking toppings off and eating them and leaving the pizza..
 

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
4,283
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Only in the way that Syphilis > Herpes > AIDS, I guess.

But yes, it's the only delivery chain pizza I would ever willingly order. :p

I don't think they do the thin crust anymore, but if they do, my favorite pizza after those 3 years was thin crust, green olives, green peppers and pepperoni for some reason. With extra thin crust shaker.

The dough is mediocre, the toppings are frozen. At least prior to the Pizza Hut lawsuit, we had fresh bell peppers and stuff that we cut daily, but it's my understanding now that they just use frozen pre-cuts like the rest. Ugh...

If you're new to PJ... Get an original hand-tossed with Pepperoni. Try it with and without the garlic butter sauce that comes on the side. Wash it down with a cold soda and/or beer. If you don't like it, chances are you won't like anything more complex from them.

A friend ordered The Works awhile back and I ended up just picking toppings off and eating them and leaving the pizza..

I noticed people that have experience working for pizza chains always go off about how gross the pizzas are. Why the hate?
 

B1FF

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2007
Messages
865
Reaction score
3
I haven't had it in years, but I remember that the toppings didn't really matter. The pizza was just meant to be a sponge to soak up garlic butter.
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,652
Reaction score
862
Originally Posted by TyCooN
I noticed people that have experience working for pizza chains always go off about how gross the pizzas are. Why the hate?


It boils down to two things-- you get disgusted by being around pizza 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and just the thought of pizza grosses you out. That, and you get to see all the "behind the scenes" footage that paying customers don't, some of which isn't so pretty.
 

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
2,213
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by TyCooN
I noticed people that have experience working for pizza chains always go off about how gross the pizzas are. Why the hate?


I've never worked for a pizza chain; but their offerings are all more or less worthless, suitable only for satisfying inebriated after-hours cravings.
 

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
1,366
Reaction score
119
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It boils down to two things-- you get disgusted by being around pizza 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and just the thought of pizza grosses you out. That, and you get to see all the "behind the scenes" footage that paying customers don't, some of which isn't so pretty.
Indeed. You come home smelling like it. Your car smells like it. Your clothes smell like it. Your money smells like it. It's like working fast food, though. It took about 10 years before I could eat at Wendy's again (my first job when I was 16!) and I typically find WEndy's to be the best fast food burger joint, unless there's an in-n-out around. I still can't do Red Lobster (my second job after Wendy's). Nasty kitchen, nasty prep, nasty frozen/prepped food, why anyone would pay money for it when you can make it from scratch for less money, maybe a bit more time (not really if you count driving, waiting to be seated, waiting to order, waiting for food, etc) and be sooo much better and most likely good for you. Dont' get me wrong, I still eat junk, but I'm aware of the trade-offs.
I know a guy who trained in france for 3 years. Worked in some serious (so he says, I've eaten his food, I believe him) restaurants. And on his days off? He orders a sub or a pizza from a delivery place around the corner from him because he has no desire to cook after cooking 100+ covers/night for 6 nights... :p Then again, he's now in the front of the house because that pays more money...
 

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 11, 2007
Messages
2,059
Reaction score
1
None, it is the worst of the big 3. I'll take Dominoes over Papa Johns. Pizza Hut is close to being as awful as Papa John's, but not quite that bad.

I rarely get pizza anymore, and when I do, I usually prefer little tiny local pizza restaurants or Chicago style deep dish.
 

milosz

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
4,083
Reaction score
7
It's about even with Domino's for me, but wins because I can order online rather than deal with some pimple-face on the phone.

I noticed people that have experience working for pizza chains always go off about how gross the pizzas are. Why the hate?
Because chain pizza is, as a rule, gross? I eat it on occasion, but it's really kind of horrible in every way, whichever chain you choose.
 

milosz

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
4,083
Reaction score
7
OK, scratch that, Domino's got their shit together and finally started online ordering in my area.
 

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
1,366
Reaction score
119
Ewwww.. Domino's always tasted like cardboard to me. PJ's was mushy icky dough, but there was no cardboard taste. Pizza Hut.. the only time I ever ate pizza hut was at 3AM when I got off from work because we had one of those Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza stands in our concession area at work. It was either those or KFC hot wings.
 

lost in va

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
695
Reaction score
0
Papa Johns is the only local chain that I'll order (almost all chain pizza places are within 4-5 min of me) from and it's almost always a thin curst with pepperoni and bacon. Basic but it gets the job done.

Now of course your local so and so will have better pizza then Papa Johns but look how many pies are flying out their door compared to the chains.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 116 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 67 9.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 46 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 47 6.4%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
428,561
Messages
9,220,434
Members
193,559
Latest member
jamalopu1
Top