• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paolo Scafora shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just look inside to see if you see the handwelt bump, if you don’t then it’s GYW.

English factory makes has always advertised GYW is the golden standard, so for a while the Italian guys called handwelt as GYW by hand, maybe that’s what you heard. Given the px point I’m pretty sure it’s Goodyear welt, but you can just see inside to see if it has that wavy bump thing

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah...Unless we experience another global pandemic, I suppose we're stuck with shoe price inflation. But seriously gentlemen, how many shoes is enough? I put my maximum at 30 pairs of dress shoes (which includes boots), which means I can buy another 12 pairs. Does anyone really need more than that?

Well I have too many shoes period…

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Given your 27,825 SF messages and 23,018 reaction score - Stylish Dinosaur status, you must at least have 50 pairs of shoes. The question is how many shoes constitutes a "lifetime supply" after which we should stop buying shoes, lest we become shoe collectors?

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
This is my wishlist, after which I would own 37 pairs of formal shoes and boots. My current portfolio contains 15 pairs of new and unworn shoes (and 5 pairs in actual rotation):

4 G&Gs - 2 double monks, one Savoy Patina Holden, and one pair of Cambridge boots
4 Meccariellos - One Amber, one blue, and two pairs of boots
2 Paolo Scafora wholecuts
2 Stefano Bemer
2 Passus (wholecut and oxford)
1 John Lobb Jermyn II
1 Vass
1 Norman Vilalta

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Current balance is less than 50, life time including stuff sold probably close to 50… how many do you need less than 10 I think…

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Current balance is less than 50, life time including stuff sold probably close to 50… how many do you need less than 10 I think…
You're probably right. I don't even own a pair of traditional captoes. How many dress shoes does a man wear over a life time? Assuming an average lifespan of 75 years, and that most men start wearing dress shoes regularly at 25, that's 50 years. 1 pair per year on average sounds about right, so 50 pairs of dress shoes over a lifetime is not excessive.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
just look inside to see if you see the handwelt bump, if you don’t then it’s GYW.

English factory makes has always advertised GYW is the golden standard, so for a while the Italian guys called handwelt as GYW by hand, maybe that’s what you heard. Given the px point I’m pretty sure it’s Goodyear welt, but you can just see inside to see if it has that wavy bump thing

Wavy bumps inside the Paul Stuart Scaforas towards the front...yes indeed. (Hilariously down both sides flanking where "Goodyear" is imprinted.)

Again, I'm no expert on identifying handwelted shoes, but I know a bit about production - it would be more surprising to me to hear they would make these shoes differently. Makes way more sense they would make them the same. Far easier for them. (However, as I noted earlier, the Paul Stuart shoes lack the ornate outsoles of the Scafora branded shoes. No doubt the Scafora versions take many extra hours to manufacture, so this is the obvious place where some - possibly significant - cost was cut. But the Scafora branded shoes retail for about $1200USD, while full retail on the Paul Stuarts is $1000USD...so not really an enormous difference. Paui Stuart can discount that price in a big way because of the size of their operation and because it does not damage the Scafora brand.)

Many people are under the mistaken impression that store-branded products made by established producers are priced lower because they are inferior. That assumption is usually wrong. The lower pricing comes through economies of scale in production, and through the buying power of the store to demand a lower cost price on a large order (with Costco's Kirkland stuff being the most obvious and visible example of this).

Last edited:

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
PS used to make lower end products, you should still be able to find some brand new ones from Ebay, from a Italian seller I recalled.

By the way, I should've posted these earlier.
View attachment 1539382 View attachment 1539383 View attachment 1539384 View attachment 1539385 View attachment 1539386 View attachment 1539387 View attachment 1539388 View attachment 1539389

The Q last is pretty sleek, came out a bit different than how I imagined, but not in a bad way.
The patina should look nice under better lights, but I haven't been able to catch them.

Only regret is the sole work, I requested a different glassware (I had this fancy stupid idea that I will collect one different glassware at a time...LOL, but the one I got on this pair is a duplicate.)
Hello. What color are these shoes? I may order a pair of Oceano colored wholecuts in the future, so I'm wondering if these shoes are rendered in navy blue or Oceano? Thanks.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wavy bumps inside the Paul Stuart Scaforas towards the front...yes indeed. (Hilariously down both sides flanking where "Goodyear" is imprinted.)

Again, I'm no expert on identifying handwelted shoes, but I know a bit about production - it would be more surprising to me to hear they would make these shoes differently. Makes way more sense they would make them the same. Far easier for them. (However, as I noted earlier, the Paul Stuart shoes lack the ornate outsoles of the Scafora branded shoes. No doubt the Scafora versions take many extra hours to manufacture, so this is the obvious place where some - possibly significant - cost was cut. But the Scafora branded shoes retail for about $1200USD, while full retail on the Paul Stuarts is $1000USD...so not really an enormous difference. Paui Stuart can discount that price in a big way because of the size of their operation and because it does not damage the Scafora brand.)

Many people are under the mistaken impression that store-branded products made by established producers are priced lower because they are inferior. That assumption is usually wrong. The lower pricing comes through economies of scale in production, and through the buying power of the store to demand a lower cost price on a large order (with Costco's Kirkland stuff being the most obvious and visible example of this).

well, take a picture maybe (though it's hard to take a picture on that part), Paolo Scafora just like many italian manufacture makes things to various construction based on what brand request, they can do blake/gyw/hw/norweigan or even blake (and would be at different price point).

I mean even CJ does same thing for BB (used to at this point I suppose) and sometimes Paul Stuart as well, like they would do everything to mainline standard, but for have closed channel like HG even though everything else wise is not HG (the short chelsea cranford on 360 comes to mind, it's closed channel but pretty sure else it's just BG not HG)

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O
Hello. What color are these shoes? I may order a pair of Oceano colored wholecuts in the future, so I'm wondering if these shoes are rendered in navy blue or Oceano? Thanks.
This is oceano.

668F70B8-69BC-4231-B1B9-ACC5FD9E4A30.jpeg

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, take a picture maybe (though it's hard to take a picture on that part), Paolo Scafora just like many italian manufacture makes things to various construction based on what brand request, they can do blake/gyw/hw/norweigan or even blake (and would be at different price point).

I mean even CJ does same thing for BB (used to at this point I suppose) and sometimes Paul Stuart as well, like they would do everything to mainline standard, but for have closed channel like HG even though everything else wise is not HG (the short chelsea cranford on 360 comes to mind, it's closed channel but pretty sure else it's just BG not HG)
Many Italians refer to handwelted as Goodyear by hand. Goodyear of scafora, unless specific for a retailer is handwelted.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, though these retail for less than $1k, which is what Skoak gyw used to carry at?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kostas. They look navy blue to me. But that's ok. The only blue shoes I have are those Santoni limited edition fur lined boots I posted next to my Paolo Scafora.
Oceano is very dark and nice. I have a list with most of the colors we have commissioned from Paolo in natural light.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Oceano is very dark and nice. I have a list with most of the colors we have commissioned from Paolo in natural light.
I noticed on the PS website, there are many shoes with beautiful patinas, but the Oceano seems kind of boring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads