1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Pants with cuffs (turn-ups)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 29, 2004.

1. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

Indeed--thrice elegant to be sure[​IMG] -AJL [​IMG]

2. MPS

MPS Well-Known Member

Cuffs on dress trousers (i.e. to be worn with tails or a DJ)? Is this a joke?

3. TomW

TomW Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more with bigandbuff - he states my personal preferences exactly. The only exception is formal (ie. black/white tie) which I wouldn't dream of having cuffed.

4. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

I generally have my more traditionally-styled trousers cuffed, be they plain front khakis, wool trousers or suits.  

A couple of years ago, I updated my wardrobe a bit and bought casual wool trousers from Paul Smith.  It was suggested that they not be cuffed.  I followed the advise, but I must say that at fisrt, it felt weird not to have cuffs.  I also purchased a RTW suit in France a year or so go and they did not recommend cuffs on the trousers.  To this day, it feels strange to me....but looks fine I guess. Not sure I'll do that again.

GFM

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I never have pleats or cuffs on my pants. It just looks so much cleaner, and straighter.

6. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Well-Known Member

Cuffs are better for darker fabrics (black, navy, charcoal). On lighter fabrics they're too obvious (and can collect dirt).

7. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Well-Known Member

I wouldn't dream of wearing slacks or suit trousers without cuffs - to my eye, my pants would look unfinished without them. Â But then, I generally only wear double pleated pants. Â I'm tall and very slender, so I like the slight bit of extra fullness that a double pleat provides; unpleated or single-pleat trousers emphasize my slender hips and beanpole legs more than I'd like. Â [​IMG] Â I also cuff my chinos and casual slacks and never wear jeans. Oddly, formal dress always leaves me feeling a bit unsatisfied because while I'm far too traditional to ever dream of cuffing those pants, I do still have that feeling that an uncuffed hem does looks a bit unfinished. Â Well, what can you do... good thing I don't socialize in circles that require me to don formal dress with any regularity. Â [​IMG]