1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pants with cuffs (turn-ups)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 29, 2004.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Do you ask for cuffs when you have your pants hemmed, yes or no, or sometimes?

If so or if not, why?

Pants = Trousers = Slacks (in case there is any misunderstanding)/

Jon.

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I only will ask for cuffs with suit pants. The presence of cuffs and pleats will dissuade me from buying even the nicest pair (see Zanella) of dress slacks. I like cuffs and pleats with suits, by the way. Why? Just because of what I wear with each (I wear cap toes with suits, and rounded toes with a double heel with most dress slacks, unless i'm wearing a blazer, etc.).

Sometimes, however, I will dispense with cuffs even with suits, though that may have been a previous trend that I am giving up. With a slimmer suit that has a lighter, shinier fabric, I find that going with a straight hem compliments the cut better usually.

3. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I guess I am a simpleton on this subject...

2 pleats= cuffs

1 pleat= either way, your choice

no pleats= no cuffs

this goes for pretty much any type of pant IMO.

4. theodoro

theodoro Member

I follow Alan Flusser's recommendations for my body type, being 6'3" with 46" chest and 36" waist, I wear full cut, pleated pants with 1 3/4" cuffs and a full break.

All of my pants are cuffed except, jeans, unfinished khakis w/ralph roll, and flat front pants worn with suede chelsea boots.

Teo

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree with BigBadBuff. And since I pretty much only wear flat front pants (taking advantage of my youth and body as long as possible,) I have no cuffed pants.

6. Classic

Classic Senior member

All my three piece and double breasted suits have cuffed pants. Same for the three buttoned suits, except for 2 of them that are not cuffed.
    My two button suits and dress pants do not have cuffed pants.
    No real reason for this, except it is a "style" I have adopted and stayed with.

Classic

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I personally like cuffs; I usually associate straight-hemmed pants with jeans and khakis. Thus, my jeans and khakis are straight-hemmed, whereas my pants with pleats, whether they have one to two pleats {or in the case of my single pair of Zanella pants: three pleats (OMG, what was I thinking?}). I think they look like they are missing something without the cuff.

Jon.

8. gqelements

gqelements Senior member

i agree w/ buff, but prefer no cuffs on single pleat.

9. rjsphd

rjsphd Senior member

I cuff everything but jeans and my tuxedo. Lately I favor flat-front pants and 1.75-2 inch cuffs. Saw it on some slacks in Italy and think it looks good. If I had short legs or was much shorter ( I am 5-11) I probably eschew the cuffs.

10. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Until this year, I have never seen, or heard of, cuffing tuxedo trousers. And, actually having seen them--cuffed tuxedo trousers--I am not sure that I like it. I cuff all my suit and dress trousers.

11. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Doesn't the shoe dictate?  

My general practice:  oxfords and brogues - cuff;  monks and slip ons - cuff not.

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

I disagree--I think cuffed pants look great w/ the right monk shoe.

Speaking off (or on) the cuff, here's a scenario for you: recently I purchased a lovely pair of charcoal 100% cashmere Incotex flat front pants (thanks again Lance/discostu). Being that they are flat front, my initial inclination was to leave them cuffless, but upon observing them, a friend of mine (who is definitely not a cuff guy) suggested that I cuff them, to "honor" the beautiful fabric. What's your take (assuming you're not militantly anti-cuff)?

fwiw: I am approx. 5'8", of fairly slender build, and basically all my other dress pants are double pleat w/cuffs. Also, the pants in question are lightweight/4 season.

13. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i never ask for cuffs. not my style--but i don't think they look bad either. it's just a matter of preference. also, i don't believe the choice has anything to do with the shoes. it's more of a personal choice.

15. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Well, perhaps there is no "rule" but surely you will acknowledge a particular pair of shoes might look best with one or the other style of pants.  And, if that is the case, wouldn't one's personal choice be based on what looks best?

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

also, i don't believe the choice has anything to do with the shoes. it's more of a personal choice.
    Well, perhaps there is no "rule" but surely you will acknowledge a particular pair of shoes might look best with one or the other style of pants. And, if that is the case, wouldn't one's personal choice be based on what looks best?
    Well, my philosophy (partially) regarding dress pants in Florida is as follows: most people are way too causally dressed in Florida (yes, I understand the logic behind this, as I write this post, it is 88 degrees Fahrenheit outside and 66% humidity, in other words, it feels like 97 degrees outside here in Boca), but taking that into consideration, I like cuffs because they make pants look ever more dress-up than straight-hemmed pants. Plus, I like the way cuffs look; straight-hemmed pants are missing that touch of difference, of elegance that a straight-hemmed pant cannot provide. You may feel different, but to each his own. [​IMG] Jon.

17. Salg

Salg New Member

Cuffs are optional with pleated pants.....NOT recommended with plain fron pants.  Besides, they catch lint and other particles.

18. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

to each his own. i consider myself a rather elegant fellow and it's precisely because of this that i prefer a straight hem. i think this is why tuxedo pants are not cuffed and why most khakis are.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Plus, I like the way cuffs look; straight-hemmed pants are missing that touch of difference, of elegance that a straight-hemmed pant cannot provide. You may feel different, but to each his own.
    to each his own. i consider myself a rather elegant fellow and it's precisely because of this that i prefer a straight hem. i think this is why tuxedo pants are not cuffed and why most khakis are.
    Most khakis I have seen are not cuffed, and if straight-hemmed is more elegant, why are jeans or sweatpants not cuffed, but are rather straight-hemmed? Jon.

20. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Most khakis I have seen are not cuffed, and if straight-hemmed is more elegant, why are jeans or sweatpants not cuffed, but are rather straight-hemmed?

Jon.