Pants Waist

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CoryB, Nov 29, 2006.

1. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

What is the correct position for khakis to be worn? I'm taking a pair into the tailor tomorrow and was wondering how high or low others where theirs. Using the belly-button as a reference point as people seem to debate what the natural waist constitutes, 1.5-2" below seems to work well for me. Is that high or low?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

It depends more on the rise of the pants in question. You don't want them wedged up or hanging low, so wherever the comfortable in-between position is, that's where they go.

The natural waist is the narrowest part of your abdomen, which for most people is about .5-1" below the navel.

For khakis, I think a normal rise would be considerably lower than the natural waist, so 1.5" or so is probably close. Only suit trousers (IMO) look acceptable near the natural waist since a jacket is always worn with them.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

It really depends a lot on your body proportions. For some people, a higher rise looks correct, while for other people pants look best worn on or near the hips. Personally I like my pants to sit a little below what would be considered the typical 'waistline', but this is just because of how my body is ballanced.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

It really depends a lot on your body proportions. For some people, a higher rise looks correct, while for other people pants look best worn on or near the hips. Personally I like my pants to sit a little below what would be considered the typical 'waistline', but this is just because of how my body is ballanced.
    That too. I have a short torso, so I have the same preference (lower rise).

5. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

That too. I have a short torso, so I have the same preference (lower rise).

Same here, and I specifically ask for lower rise for my MTM pants, even though it's not "classic" cut.

6. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

the true waist is at the smallest part of the torso, just above the prominent hipbones. where you position the trouser waist is your choice.