• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants to short?

scfan919

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have been a long time lurker and just joined today to ask a quick question about pant length. Are these to short? I have two pairs that I bought that are 30x30 because whenever I buy a 30x32 they always bunch at the bottom too much. I was just wondering what everyone thought and whether or not it is possible to get them made longer by removing the hem and rehemming(sp?) them. Thanks guys!

P.s. Sorry about the messy dorm room, finals week is hell haha

Last edited:

addedfuel

Reaction score
The pants are not short. The general rule on the forum and in 2012 sartorialist eyes is to have a light break to no break on your pants. It's great you posted the photos. What you need is to slim the pants so it won't hang like a bell at the back. If I were you, I'd slim them by 2-3 cm and shorten them to show some ankle. Cost: 20-30$ depending on the seamstress.

ps. it looks like a tornado whipped thru your room.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforim and good luck on your exams.
Length is ok ...but back to that dorm.....I need to understand something.
How do you explain garments hanging halfway our of the dresser drawers? How is this achieved exactly?

CommenceFailure

Reaction score
I wouldn't automatically assume you need to slim them or shorten them any more. I think you are safe where you are, and I wouldn't offer more opinion unless you posted a picture that showed more leg. I think Addedfuel's comments are just opinion and very trendy ones that may or may not fit your style.

wannabe

Reaction score
Pants look good.

+1 for no socks. :slayer:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not to short. The reason you are on the fence is because of the width of the pant overall. As mentioned above, they need to be tapered at the ankle. In their current state, your trousers looks somewhat "floodish" from the back. Props on the no socks.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The correct word is 'too' not 'to' in this context. I would suggest that you press the trousers before photographing them They are a disgrace and if you are happy to wear them in this state the length is somewhat irrelevant. The width cannot be judged.

Tidy your room as well - have you no pride?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Length looks okay in this case, but you don't have to stick to either 30 or 32 inches, you can always buy a longer size then have them hammed shorter.

Last edited:

paulbnyc

Reaction score
I don't believe the OP asked for your suggestion regarding pressing his trousers or not. He asked about their length. He also apologized in advance for the state of his room. Perhaps he has roommates. Would you like to clean up after other people?

I don't really believe I've ever read a post of your's that wasn't either too smarmy or critical. What do you get out of behaving that way?
The correct word is 'too' not 'to' in this context. I would suggest that you press the trousers before photographing them They are a disgrace and if you are happy to wear them in this state the length is somewhat irrelevant. The width cannot be judged.
Tidy your room as well - have you no pride?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't believe the OP asked for your suggestion regarding pressing his trousers or not.  He asked about their length.
I don't really believe I've ever read a post of your's that wasn't either too smarmy or critical.  

Pressing his trousers might well resolve the issue he is unsure about at least in part and is relevant to the issue - how on earth can a fit be judged with trousers in that dreadful state? Finals week is no excuse for the room and surely a tidy section could be found if it is shared accomodation?

Read more, you would be surprised but if opinions are sought then they may be critical when required.

Last edited:

scfan919

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback good people. I went ahead and took down the pictures to avoid further humiliation regarding the state of my room. Haha. Living in this tiny dorm room along with roommates can make things rather messy. Will probably iron them and take them to the tailor for some alterations. Thanks!

hyt123

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback good people. I went ahead and took down the pictures to avoid further humiliation regarding the state of my room. Haha. Living in this tiny dorm room along with roommates can make things rather messy. Will probably iron them and take them to the tailor for some alterations. Thanks!

May I respectfully suggest/ask that you leave the pictures up for future reference as this thread becomes completely useless without them. Nobody here actually gives a damn what your dorm room looks like, or even if they do (OCD wankers, the lot of them) they'll give 2 damns or more about what your pants look like.

Not only that, please post an update on what they look like post-op. Thanks.

scfan919

Reaction score
Put the pic. back up. I'll leave it up and take one for the team on this one haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads