• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

pants tapering job

dpier

Reaction score
Newbie here. I had some pleated suit pants tapered, and would like comments from your practiced eyes. I have some strong concerns about how they look, but I would love first to hear what you are able to spot without cuing from me. This was a thrifted suit, so if these were botched (or were never worthy in the first place), no big deal. It's a learning experience for me. Thank you. And sorry in advance if there are protocols for posting I have failed to observe.

front view
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwdze60hpk9icvi/20180607_114845.jpg?dl=0

back view
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4jtw0v6cq4je9q/20180607_114917.jpg?dl=0

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hard to say for sure from the picture but looks like the crease does not hang straight. Were they tapered from the outseam only? Ideally the same amount of material should be taken in from the inseam and the outseam.

dpier

Reaction score
hard to say for sure from the picture but looks like the crease does not hang straight. Were they tapered from the outseam only? Ideally the same amount of material should be taken in from the inseam and the outseam.
Yes, they were! Wish I had remembered to specify to not do that. But maybe what I really need is a tailor who can make these decisions without my input. Is there any way to get this fixed, now that it has been done?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether this can be fixed properly depends on whether they left the fabric inside the trouser leg without cutting it -- if so, it can be easily fixed. Take a look on the inside of the outseam. If they cut the fabric off then the only thing I think you can do is to press the trousers to reset the crease. I doubt people would notice.

Other than that, I think the amount of taper and the trouser length are spot-on.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's