1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Pants tailoring - is taking in 3 inches around the waist too much?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by composite, Mar 15, 2019.

1. composite

composite Active Member

Hi. I recently bought a Brooks Brothers Madison suit with a 44 inch jacket and 39 inch waist pants. The jacket is fine but I'm a 36 inch waist.

Is taking in 3 inches around the waist too much? I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't take more than 2 inches on the web, but my google skills are pretty terrible.

2. sebflynn

sebflynn Well-Known Member

You're limited to 2 inches on a shirt not trousers though, I would be more concerned about how they fit your thigh and calf as unless your the athletic type with you will probably have a ton of excess fabric.

3. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

Disagree with above. There is a limit to how far you can take in the waist. The waistband is reduced at the rear of the trouser and the excess material at the top of the seat is also taken in. The problem with taking in the waist 3 inches is that the rear pockets will probably end up being too close together. You can pin the excess out yourself and see how it looks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019