• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants suggestions for stocky legs?

Saltricks

Reaction score
I've had some trouble finding pants that are flattering to my legs, and I've searched for help but none of the threads are very helpful. I am 5'10, 180 pounds, but my inseam is 29. I have ~24 inch thighs at the largest portion, and ~18 inch calves. I've been wearing higher rise pants and gotten a medium break with no cuffs for the most part...but to me my legs just seem very very short. Please help.
frown.gif

bjornb17

Reaction score
I've got big 29" thighs, and about 6'1. I wear 30" inseam pants with flat front, which gives almost no break, and this definitely is the best look. Anything with pleats or longer inseam looks like Hammer pants on me.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Re: no break

I thought that break elongates the legs (which i sorely need) is that not necessarily true?

Do you guys have any suggestions on brands that are good quality but cut more generously in the thigh area, but still have a little bit of a taper on the calf area? These RLPL fit pretty decently, but the lack of tapering in the calf area makes my legs look a little tree trunky

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
Re: no break

I thought that break elongates the legs (which i sorely need) is that not necessarily true?

Do you guys have any suggestions on brands that are good quality but cut more generously in the thigh area, but still have a little bit of a taper on the calf area? These RLPL fit pretty decently, but the lack of tapering in the calf area makes my legs look a little tree trunky

Break shortens, not elongates. Any visual disturbance from a clean straight line like break or cuffs will shorten your legs.

A darker color trousers would also help.

countrygent

Reaction score
I feel your pain, dude - I have a similar challenge - 5'7", 28.5" inseam, 23" thighs and wide hips for my height. I don't have a definitive solution yet, but a few observations gleaned from trial and error:

- Dark colors are definitely best - light-colored pants, particularly worn with a dark top, draw attention to the midsection/thighs.

- I don't really buy the idea that some people espouse, that higher-rise pants work better for short folks. I find high-rise pants create a large unbroken swath of fabric right across the area that I don't want to draw attention to, which makes me look both short(er) and wide(r).

- Pay close attention to how tapered the legs are - an extreme taper will make you look top-heavy (inverted triangle) while too wide of a leg just emphasizes stockiness.

- Minimal break seems to work best, any puddling of fabric around the ankles increases the stumpy look.

- Any excess fabric ballooning around the hips or thighs makes things 10x worse. Conversely, super-tight through the thigh with relaxed fabric around the knee looks goofy - need to get that just right, trim but not snug.

- Pleats don't seem to do me any favors - I know that they are supposed to create a vertical line, but the extra fabric volume and increase in pant width seen in profile don't help.

- Try to eliminate extra fabric in the crotch - again, trim but not snug, and enough room for the boys to breathe
wink.gif
. Any extra fabric resulting in a drop-crotch look really emphasizes thickness through the thighs.

My best-fitting pants so far are medium-low rise, flat front, with some taper (8.25" leg opening), in dark colors, sized up to fit hips/thighs and then taken in at the waist.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by countrygent
I feel your pain, dude - I have a similar challenge - 5'7", 28.5" inseam, 23" thighs and wide hips for my height. I don't have a definitive solution yet, but a few observations gleaned from trial and error:

- Dark colors are definitely best - light-colored pants, particularly worn with a dark top, draw attention to the midsection/thighs.

- I don't really buy the idea that some people espouse, that higher-rise pants work better for short folks. I find high-rise pants create a large unbroken swath of fabric right across the area that I don't want to draw attention to, which makes me look both short(er) and wide(r).

- Pay close attention to how tapered the legs are - an extreme taper will make you look top-heavy (inverted triangle) while too wide of a leg just emphasizes stockiness.

- Minimal break seems to work best, any puddling of fabric around the ankles increases the stumpy look.

- Any excess fabric ballooning around the hips or thighs makes things 10x worse. Conversely, super-tight through the thigh with relaxed fabric around the knee looks goofy - need to get that just right, trim but not snug.

- Pleats don't seem to do me any favors - I know that they are supposed to create a vertical line, but the extra fabric volume and increase in pant width seen in profile don't help.

- Try to eliminate extra fabric in the crotch - again, trim but not snug, and enough room for the boys to breathe
wink.gif
. Any extra fabric resulting in a drop-crotch look really emphasizes thickness through the thighs.

My best-fitting pants so far are medium-low rise, flat front, with some taper (8.25" leg opening), in dark colors, sized up to fit hips/thighs and then taken in at the waist.

Any brand of dress pant that you find works well? Or is it all in the tailoring? I think mabitex might be a little sausagey on my legs...

bigchris1313

Reaction score
I don't really buy the idea that some people espouse, that higher-rise pants work better for short folks. I find high-rise pants create a large unbroken swath of fabric right across the area that I don't want to draw attention to, which makes me look both short(er) and wide(r).
By wearing a jacket, this problem more or less disappears. You get the long leg look of a high rise trouser without the giant fabric midsection, which finds itself conveniently hidden--or at least obscured--behind the quarters of your jacket. Of course, if you can't wear a jacket, then all bets are off. You can always compromise by getting more casual pants to be worn without jackets cut at your hips or slightly above, and then get proper trousers to be worn with jackets cut at the waist. Alternatively, you can minimize the giant fabric midsection look by ensuring that while high, your rise is no higher than it needs to be (read: give your balls just enough room to be comfortable--no more!) tl;dr --> Wear Jackets

countrygent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
Any brand of dress pant that you find works well? Or is it all in the tailoring? I think mabitex might be a little sausagey on my legs...

Trousers that I am most satisfied with so far are Howard Yount, size 34, taken in at the waist and seat.

countrygent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigchris1313
By wearing a jacket, this problem more or less disappears. You get the long leg look of a high rise trouser without the giant fabric midsection, which finds itself conveniently hidden--or at least obscured--behind the quarters of your jacket.

Of course, if you can't wear a jacket, then all bets are off. You can always compromise by getting more casual pants to be worn without jackets cut at your hips or slightly above, and then get proper trousers to be worn with jackets cut at the waist. Alternatively, you can minimize the giant fabric midsection look by ensuring that while high, your rise is no higher than it needs to be (read: give your balls just enough room to be comfortable--no more!)

tl;dr --> Wear Jackets

Agreed. However, I rarely wear a jacket.

With trousers, I try to find a rise/cut that minimizes the height of the swath of fabric between crotch and belt, while simultaneously avoiding any hint of drop-crotch and also maintaining visual balance between legs and torso. This seems to correspond to a medium-low rise, worn, as you say, to give just enough ballspace for comfort.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Trousers that I am most satisfied with so far are Howard Yount, size 34, taken in at the waist and seat.

do you get your waist size in howard yount or size up? I think I'll try a pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads