Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

pants, socks, and shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edsa, Apr 18, 2005.

1. edsa

edsa New Member

what are the general rules on matching color of pants, socks and shoes?

what's the correct color of socks for denim pants?

when is it appropriate to wear white socks?

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Roetzel will say that the sock color should be as dark as the shoe. As to the color itself, match either the trousers or, preferably, the color of the jacket. Black socks can be worn only with black. Avoid navy socks and black shoes. Socks should always be over-the calf. If you're new at this, wear solids. Sock weight should be similar to the rest of the ensemble (cotton with lighter weight fabrics; wool with flannel).

Don't know much about denim pants or white socks.

Cary Grant never read Roetzels' book (one reason was it was published after his death). He always wore tan socks. Fred Astaire favored red or yellow socks-to emphasize his feet. I think these "sock rules" apply only to these two gentlemen.

3. quill

quill Senior member

I think Flusser states that the eye should flow uninterruptedly from the trousers down to the floor.

In other words, if you're wearing khaki-colored trousers, the eye shouldn't be "stopped" at the ankle by a stark contrast of color (i.e., if you're wearing brown shoes at the time, the socks should be closer in tone to the tan trousers, rather than your matching brown shoes and socks "stopping" the eye at the cuff of your trousers).

Of course, as STYLESTUDENT points out, rules are made to be broken, but usually only by folks with enough clout/reputation/knowledge to do so.

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Man, am I glad you added that last bit...I was afraid this thread would take off into the black suit neighborhood. Â [​IMG]

5. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I usually match sock to trousers. When wearing jeans I will wear almost any colour and pattern but black. Jeans are a very casual outfit so I believe you can give yourself more leeway in colours. White socks go with workout clothes. If you are not sweating, don't wear white socks.

6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

blah.

7. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Or when worn with white pants?

WJTW