• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants repair

mbc

Reaction score
Somehow, a pair of black pants from my suit has a small tear on the waistband.. it's really small (like a millimeter or two in width), and when the pants are buttoned, the button flap covers it, but i'm worried about it possibly growing larger over time.. it's over the waistband, so you see the white of the underlying band.. i.e. it doesn't go all the way through the pants.

Can tailors repair this sort of thing? How much should I expect to pay for it?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I'm pretty sure a workshop can repair it somehow. If the waistband extension covers the spot, you don't need invisible mending (re-weaving) which is quite costly. Have a word with the seamstress at your dry cleaners.

davei

Reaction score
I would put a simple stitch under the hole/tear to close it, then take an iron and some steam to it to stretch it out slightly (the stitch will create a pucker since there's no seam allowance.) If the hole is really that tiny you may not need to do the ironing, since it's covered by the flap anyway, and the pants will likely stretch on their own with time. Just close the hole so it doesn't get any bigger. A fix like this is really trivial, don't expect to pay more than whatever they charge for pant hemming.

Alternately, if you can find matching fabric, the entire waistband can be replaced. This takes a LOT of work though, and may cost more than the original cost of the pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads