• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pants legs question

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
I have a suit where the pants are a little too tight in the upper leg. Not enough material to let the legs out but the tailor insisted in can be easily done adding some material to the upper inner area of the leg. Ive never heard of this before but he insisted it would look clean and not be noticeable.

Any thoughts or inputs on this?

thanks in advance

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also steam-stretch them at a dry-cleaners. I've never done it myself, but I heard my tailor recommend it to someone.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UltraMagnetical
I have a suit where the pants are a little too tight in the upper leg. Not enough material to let the legs out but the tailor insisted in can be easily done adding some material to the upper inner area of the leg. Ive never heard of this before but he insisted it would look clean and not be noticeable.

Any thoughts or inputs on this?

thanks in advance

can he show you and example? i understand what he is doing(in theory.) not sure brah...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He is adding a crotch piece to increase the thigh girth. Nothing wrong with doing this and it is your best option. Some trousers are cut like this when there isn't enough cloth or done to save cloth. You will see a seam making a triangle shape along the inside seam of your trouser. No biggy.

Originally Posted by acecow
You could also steam-stretch them at a dry-cleaners. I've never done it myself, but I heard my tailor recommend it to someone.

bad advise. Trouser line will look distorted and cloth has a memory. Effects of stretching won't last.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
bad advise. Trouser line will look distorted and cloth has a memory. Effects of stretching won't last.

I thought so. Thanks for clarifying.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were a pair of odd trousers, I'd give it a try. Not for suit pants, however, as it would make the jacket useless as well.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
He is adding a crotch piece to increase the thigh girth. Nothing wrong with doing this and it is your best option. Some trousers are cut like this when there isn't enough cloth or done to save cloth. You will see a seam making a triangle shape along the inside seam of your trouser. No biggy.

AS long as he can find the same cloth....

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
AS long as he can find the same cloth....

and a long enough piece so it runs in the same grain line. Usually it is taken for the hem but you need a lot of extra length to get the grain line. You could use the cloth from the inside of the jacket facing from the button/ buttonhole down. Creates a mess of work to replace the facing.

OP might need pleated trousers or not such a slim cut trouser to have enough room to be comfortable.

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
yes despos your right, he well use the hem from the trousers. He assured me it will look clean. They are RLBL pants and i am a weightlifter so I have 24" legs but 32" waist lol. The pants fit now but its just a little too tight.

Is this something you often do in practice despos?

thanks for your knowledge

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow

I think the tailor was suggesting to stretch the crotch at the curve of the seat to make more room. This is common to do but different than what Ultra needs.

Originally Posted by UltraMagnetical
yes despos your right, he well use the hem from the trousers. He assured me it will look clean. They are RLBL pants and i am a weightlifter so I have 24" legs but 32" waist lol. The pants fit now but its just a little too tight.

Is this something you often do in practice despos?

thanks for your knowledge

It is the only option for your situation.

I understand your fitting issues, have worked with 2 guys who have won Mr. Universe. talk about out of whack bodies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics